Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #1

Coach Heater Low out put when -10

I have a 2002 Country Coach Magna 36' triple slide that is new to me and I have the Hurricane CO45D in it. I have it all serviced and up and running, but on my first cold test the temp inside the coach got down to 45deg. It was -10 outside but I would think it would do better that that.

I found that there is a valve in the system that is failing and allowing coolant to back feed into the engine and heat the engine block. I assume this is my problem, but I can not find where to get this valve. Any help?
2002 Country Coach Magna Journey 37' 455hp. CAT C-12 - our current Family Adventure Ride, 2000 Alpine 36FDSS Cummings 330hp. SOLD 5/2016, 2002 Renagade 21' Toter Home CAT 3046 SOLD 9/08- Henderson, Co.
tillbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #2

I would give Kevin Waite former Country Coach Tech a call. Have your coach number handy then after the call you could send him a picture of the part. I just got a ECM oil pressure switch from him that Cat could not find, had the part in 5 days and it was a Cat part.
2 stroker

K&M Mobile RV Repair LLC
95430 Noraton Rd.
Junction City, OR. 97448

541-953-6162 (Cell)
kvn.wt.7629@gmail.com
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:56 PM   #3

I have a 2001 CC Affinity 42 tag with a hurricane heater. We are work camping in Leavenworth WA and -10 here is a warm night. The hurricane system can overheat this coach even on the coldest nite. I'm not sure about the valve in the picture but my hurricane system heats the entire engine cooling system. The engine expansion tank gets up to approx. 140deg. And the engine block warms to about 110deg. I've been told on the forum that this a normal situation. When the furnace starts it takes about 5 min before heat is produced but after that I set the thermostats to 70deg and the system cycles to hold that temp. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Jim Barone
James Barone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #4

[QUOTE=James Barone;3410563]I have a 2001 CC Affinity 42 tag with a hurricane heater. We are work camping in Leavenworth WA and -10 here is a warm night. The hurricane system can overheat this coach even on the coldest nite. I'm not sure about the valve in the picture but my hurricane system heats the entire engine cooling system. The engine expansion tank gets up to approx. 140deg. And the engine block warms to about 110deg. I've been told on the forum that this a normal situation. When the furnace starts it takes about 5 min before heat is produced but after that I set the thermostats to 70deg and the system cycles to hold that temp. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Jim Barone[/QUOTE

On my 2002 Magna, the Hurricane heats the expansion tank only. Not the engine block. It has an electric block heater for that purpose. Some are set up so the Hurricane heats the block

Rich 2002 Magna
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:32 AM   #5

After finding that my Hurricane was not running efficient enough I started with it. A new burn chamber and fuel nozzle I am running clean and putting out big heat. The hurricane was putting out some black soot and deposites before.

Thank you International Thermal Research | Advanced Diesel Heating & Hot Water Solutions for the fast parts and techinal assistance.

The valve is still bad, but the Hurricane puts out so many BTU I am at -10 now outside, and 72deg. inside with engine tempatures of 54deg.

No heating problems here.

With a small circulation fan in the lower portion of the water bay I am not freezing my pipes either.
2002 Country Coach Magna Journey 37' 455hp. CAT C-12 - our current Family Adventure Ride, 2000 Alpine 36FDSS Cummings 330hp. SOLD 5/2016, 2002 Renagade 21' Toter Home CAT 3046 SOLD 9/08- Henderson, Co.
tillbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
TR4

Are you sure the valve in your picture is part of the Hurricane system and not part of the OTR heater? On my coach the Hurricane system uses green hoses while the OTR uses black hoses. My system also heats the block and water heater.

Have you checked the circulation pumps? I have two for Hurricane and one for the OTR heater.

Bill
Old 01-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
Are you sure the valve in your picture is part of the Hurricane system and not part of the OTR heater? On my coach the Hurricane system uses green hoses while the OTR uses black hoses. My system also heats the block and water heater.

Have you checked the circulation pumps? I have two for Hurricane and one for the OTR heater.

Bill

I agree with that valve looking like the OTR heater, I have a connection similar just forward of the trans.

Also with the fan speed knobs on the inside above the door I have two others switches.

One says Interior Heat Exchangers which is pretty self explanatory.

The other says Central Heat Control which I thought with that turned off it would not heat the block when parked. Is this not correct?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:58 AM   #8
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
I agree with that valve looking like the OTR heater, I have a connection similar just forward of the trans.

Also with the fan speed knobs on the inside above the door I have two others switches.

One says Interior Heat Exchangers which is pretty self explanatory.

The other says Central Heat Control which I thought with that turned off it would not heat the block when parked. Is this not correct?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brett,

My HH system loops the coolant from a connection on the back of the engine head and returns at the water pump inlet tube. This is the same for a different OTR heater loop. These four areas are where I've installed gate valves so I can shut down one or both systems.

After driving for about an hour I have hot domestic water. All my HH switches are off until I use the heater, so I would think the motor coolant pump is circulating the HH coolant. The OTR heater coolant circulates the same way (even after I removed the school bus pump).

CC made different versions of th HH system, this is how mine works.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:22 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Would be helpful to post the HH model when in this discussion as there are differences. Thanks. Safe travels. 2003 45XL Hurricane.
'04 42ft Country Coach Intrigue Ovation #11630
400 ISL, 2018 Acadia AWD Toad
Old Dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater