Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 09:26 AM   #1

Compressor Problem

I have a 36 foot 2000 intrigue with 105,000 miles. I’ve owned it for six years and have put 35,000 miles on it.

Took it in for a new front shocks and air dryer filter. It was a new shop for me that I will not be going back to. Without going into detail they said the engine compressor was not shutting off. I have an appointment at Cummins for a second opinion.

They are estimating $1800 for the part and six hours of labor. I’d like to find out if anybody out there can confirm symptoms, the part price, a possibility of getting it rebuilt or buying a rebuilt part and the amount of labor estimate from my first shop. Could a governor be replaced?

Symptoms. Driving with the windows down at 45 mph I am hearing the spitter spit every 30 seconds. I have also heard the spitter kind of sputter for as much as about a minute without shutting off. After three nights I am down to 30 to 40 pounds. Wondering if the problem might just be an air leak or many air leaks.

Thanks for everybody’s input. After my Cummins visit I’ll update you.

I would also like to say thanks to Jim Cooley at Premier. I called him and was more than willing to make the trip when he mentioned the Cummins option which I had not Considered. My previous work done at Premier was what made me willing to drive there from Phoenix to get the job done correctly.
stonegully is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

There is Eric Olstrom at Olstrom Custom Coach in Tucson 8300 Valencia bldg #4 520-624-2024. Eric like Premier is one of the good guys on CC and just a tad closer.
RV-LEDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Engine air compressor went on my 2007 400ISL. Part was 1900CDN and 7 hours install. PITA in an RV. My symptom was to not build pressure.

I replaced governor first (cheap and easy $50 and 15 minutes, me). Then remove air supply line at dryer and confirm pressure (for me I could hold my hand over end, not good).

Hope this helps. I can provide additional details if needed.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
Community Moderator

If you are talking about the compressor embedded with the engine, I am thinking any engine shops for heavy trucks would be familiar with it. That compressor isn't a coach specific item. Find a shop in your area with highest scores in google or/and yelp, and give them a call.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would think a new governor would be the first thing they would try.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I would think a new governor would be the first thing they would try.
X2 easy to install and not expensive
Click image for larger version

Name:	Governor.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	310028
ours was to the right of the engine clearly visible

Our Compressor recently went out as well few months back.
1,500 for part 400 dollar core
1,200 labor
then shop fees coolant, rags, gasket etc
after tax around 3,200
Major pain dealing with warranty company...but its done

keep us posted,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:38 PM   #7

You have received good advice.

The governor IS the inexpensive device that signals the engine-driven compressor to load/unload the exhaust valves= make air/don't make air.

Could it be something else, I guess so, but with this being both inexpensive and the most likely suspect, that IS where to start.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #8

Its most likely NOT the governor or compressor.

The governor turns on and off the compressor. That's working.

First line comes from the wet tank and goes to the governor. If it leaks the wet tank pressure drops and the governor turns on the compressor, over and over. Compressor is working.

Second line runs from the governor to the compressor ( Some mount the governor on the compressor with a gasket so no line ) That line takes the air signal from the governor and turns on and off the compressor. A leak drains the wet tank and the compressor cycles.

Third line runs from the governor to the air dryer.
If it leaks, the governor will keep cycling, as yours is.

It may also be the purge valve on the air dryer, letting the air leak. The purge valve is re-buildable, replacable

Run from that shop. Compressors that reach over 120 PSI are not broken. Governors that blow off a very few seconds are not bad.

A leak or bad purge valve is your problem, its a cheap fix.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-12-02-16-13-53.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	310037
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #9
Community Moderator

x 2 run from that shop. twinboat
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #10
TR4

I would start by checking for air leaks. Your air pressure gauge (red and green needle), reeds air pressure off your primary and secondary tanks. They are protected by check valves from the wet tank. You should not be loosing air pressure overnight. My tanks drop about 20 psi in 6 months. I had an air leak that took forever to find, it was at at the air pressure gauge connection.

Bill

Tags
compressor, problem