Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
This information attached is from the House Manual for the 36', 38' and 40' Country Coach Concept models with the DD 6V92. It's interesting to me that the 3500# and 250# numbers are a "recommendation" by Country Coach. It would appear that the weak link in the equation is likely the hitch installed by CC. If towing a heavier load than the recommended limit then it would be worthwhile first comparing the Gillig hitch drawings provided in this thread to the existing CC installation on one's coach. Cntrylife found documentation (also attached) stating that the Allison HT747 transmission is rated for 60,000 pounds when installed in the bus configuration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0147.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	710.6 KB
ID:	177816

Name:	IMG_0148.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	177817

Name:	IMG_0149.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	177818

Name:	IMG_0150.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	960.0 KB
ID:	177819

Name:	IMG_0151.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	177820
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #16

I looked at the hitch on my 89 CCC. I would tow a house with what I saw. Great looking hitch with big steel both bolts and welded . Many gusetts welded for extra support . I really don't see any problem with mine for towing a car and trailer
Bootjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #17

That's the conclusion Andrew and I have come to as well. All the individual components (chassis, transmission, axles, tires, engine) have proven to be more than adequate to handle loads within the 42,000 pound combined gross weight vehicle rating specified by CC. The only question mark in my mind is what is the rating of the hitch? Is it stamped anywhere on the hitch? Can it be taken to a shop that tell us what the weight rating is for the application? Seems they could at least tell that the hitch can safely handle up to "x" pounds. As discussed earlier in the thread, I think CC didn't see a need to rate it for anything more than they did so that was the limit they applied.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsponsford View Post
That's the conclusion Andrew and I have come to as well. All the individual components (chassis, transmission, axles, tires, engine) have proven to be more than adequate to handle loads within the 42,000 pound combined gross weight vehicle rating specified by CC. The only question mark in my mind is what is the rating of the hitch? Is it stamped anywhere on the hitch? Can it be taken to a shop that tell us what the weight rating is for the application? Seems they could at least tell that the hitch can safely handle up to "x" pounds. ....
Was this ever answered? I also have an old MH on a 1989 Gillig chassis and can not figure out what the hitch is rated to.

Thanks,
jorshw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 01:15 PM   #19

Legally, CC is the Final Manufacturer and reports the GCWR of the chassis.

The rating of the hitch that is installed is only a component of the capacity and cannot increase the legal rating nor can any other modification of the chassis as far as the DOT is concerned.

I know the above is frustrating, but it is what it is.

CC did not know what the rating of my rig was 10 years ago. They just guessed and had no record of the capacity from 1995.

Gillig Bus has no responsibility or reason to know.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, tow, towing