Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #1

Considering a CC Allure - 32' or 36'?

Hello all,

I'm considering an older circa 2000 CC Allure. I'm looking for a shorter model pusher, and I have found a rare 32' model, but it's priced about $20K higher than most of the 36' models available in that same vintage. It does have the IFS and the seller of course points out that's a very rare model.

So anyway, since I don't have much experience with DP'ers I'm asking for those that have driven or owned the shorter models to offer up any comments as to "are they worth the premium being asked" and are their other short comings that would lead you look for a little longer unit (say a 36 or even 38).

Thanks in advance for any points to consider... as I'm having a hard time deciding!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #2

I have a 36' and it drives like a dream. The shorter models are harder to come by, which keeps the prices elevated.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:37 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
We have a 38' CC Magna on a Gillig Bus chassis. The ride has been excellent.

And, we would not be comfortable in less length of a coach.

Long galley counter. Two sofa's and closed door toilet room are our needs.

Slideout mechanisms in those days occupied 24" of wall space. We have none.

We may have to be more careful backing into sites, but have not failed yet.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:40 PM   #4

I have a 32 foot Allure and would say the only negative is that the kitchen counter area is very small, where as with the 36 foot Allure you get a nice sized kitchen area. I am aware of the 2000 allure posted on RV Trader right now and it is overpriced by $20,000. If you want a 32 footer be patient, they are out there and come up for sale frequently.

Dennis
suzygirl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:02 PM   #5

I saw the one on RV Trader and you will not buy that coach for $35K
Old 02-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #6

My 32’ allure handles very well and has sufficient power with the 350 hp engine. The kitchen area is plenty wide with the opposing slides . I don’t miss not having a longer coach the 32 footer is all I considered buying when I got it as we generally camp in federal camp grounds where size is limited . To me this thing is big when maneuvering tight parking lots with the Honda in tow.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:53 PM   #7
TR4

A member here, Roy1 has one, maybe he’ll chime in. A 32 ft. With one slide would be too small for me. For me the 36 ft. is perfect, I can park it next to the house and get into most all campgrounds. You not only loose living space but one complete cargo bay over the 36 ft. When boondocking that extra cargo space comes in handy. Also, the longer the chassis the better they handle. I wouldn't want a smaller kitchen, things are already tight.

Bill
Old 02-02-2020, 10:57 PM   #8

OP. If considering a 32-36' CC from the the length limitation's perspective - expect to pay a premium.

If no real size limitation. IMO, the best bang for the buck from a pure Supply perspective - are the 40' coaches. (Bang for the buck? Much higher supply!)

And, we moved from a T-28 Bounder, to our 40' Allure... and no regrets due to length. YES, a few less sites to fit in overall. But, it has never been a hinderance in our travels...

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:11 PM   #9

Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful replies.
I believe in general that a 32ft'er would have enough room for our plans, but I'm just not 100% comfortable with spending $70K on a 20 year old coach. As a newbie driver I of course like the concept of more "nimble" rig, but not sure I would notice much of difference after a few months of driving a 32 vs. a 36. And of course longer is better once we are parked. I don't have any specific limitations in length, just the usual trade offs in camp site access and maneuverability.

I think I'll go have a look at it this week and go from there. I'm not expecting to be able to buy it for much less, as it does look in good condition.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #10

That coach is expensive but I would consider all the work that has been done to it. I bought my 36 for considerably less and than started doing many of the things that coach has had done. It added up quick. The one thing I would be absolutely certain of if I were you is that the radiator and charge air cooler have either been replaced or are sound. They are a couple of spendy fixes. I do think the 36 is a better length, all things considered. JMHO
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #11

$70k for a 2000 Allure 32 is absolutely insane, imo. That coach doesn't appear to have solar, has minor interior updates, is CC's entry level at the time (no hydronic, lights not recessed, 350 ISC w/exhaust brake, etc), looks clean & has lower mileage. Asking isn't getting, that's for sure, but good luck to them.

When we were shopping for CC's (for over 8 months to find the right one for us), we looked at a 32' and the up/down small fridge, lack of galley counter space, & one less storage bay were deal breakers for us. Those may not be concerns for you but definitely get inside a 32' & a 36' to compare for your needs.

The right one will come to you!
2000 Country Coach Magna 36' #5752
past: '98 Safari Trek 2480, '91 Fleetwood Flair 22
srogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:03 PM   #12

I owned a 2 slide, 02 Allure 32, years ago. Excellent coach. Well built, nimble, could park it anywhere. Loved that coach BUT IT DROVE AWFUL! Henderson's worked on several times and finally got better, but could never really get it to stop needing to saw the steering wheel back and forth. If you are doing nothing but short trips, you can live with it, but long hauls make the drive tiring. Wife refused to even drive the coach. I eventually moved to a CC 36. I would opt for a 36' coach over the 32. You can put it everywhere you can put a 32. That extra 4 feet helps with the living and storage space. The ride is better and fuel economy is the same. While the 32 is a great coach, but with the short wheelbase, and with all that diesel engine weight hangin out the back, the 36 has a better ride balance.
Willee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:18 PM   #13

Wonder what was wrong with your coach that it handled poorly? I can drive mine 50 or 70 mph barely holding the steering wheel I did not have to sea saw the steering wheel even with my Honda CR-V in tow.
With a strong side wind I need to be more careful. Possibly yours had more miles on it? Mine has 25,000 miles on the clock and Toyo m 144 tires. I would surely like to have the extra bin the 36 has but I have managed to set mine up so I get everything I want to carry with me with no problem. It would be nice to carry a couple of bikes in a bin but if I do I’ll need to add an external rack.
I just came home from southern Arizona driving mostly 63 mph for 2 days 7 hours a day the 2nd day was over several steep mountain passes in the Sierra Nevada mountains and a very curvy hwy 395 which was a piece of cake. I bought mine a few years ago for a fair price but most of the appliances didn’t work like the tv’s stove,refrigerator,furnace etc. I’m a retired a/c mechanic so fixing this kind of stuff comes easy and gave me something to do $1000 And every thing was working again.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
Wonder what was wrong with your coach that it handled poorly? I can drive mine 50 or 70 mph barely holding the steering wheel I did not have to sea saw the steering wheel even with my Honda CR-V in tow.
With a strong side wind I need to be more careful. Possibly yours had more miles on it? Mine has 25,000 miles on the clock and Toyo m 144 tires. I would surely like to have the extra bin the 36 has but I have managed to set mine up so I get everything I want to carry with me with no problem. It would be nice to carry a couple of bikes in a bin but if I do I’ll need to add an external rack.
I just came home from southern Arizona driving mostly 63 mph for 2 days 7 hours a day the 2nd day was over several steep mountain passes in the Sierra Nevada mountains and a very curvy hwy 395 which was a piece of cake. I bought mine a few years ago for a fair price but most of the appliances didn’t work like the tv’s stove,refrigerator,furnace etc. I’m a retired a/c mechanic so fixing this kind of stuff comes easy and gave me something to do $1000 And every thing was working again.
We had a 34 foot 2006 CC Allure and did have to replace the radiator in the year we had it ($8,000 total). Converted to wet PTO also which is usually recommended. The coach always needed constant steering correction and wore out my shoulders on long trips. The Tiffin we have now can be driven with one hand if desired and is a dream to drive.