Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 01:20 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Coolant & Hydraulic Line Abrasion

Though I'd share a recent experience on a trip in which I noticed coolant leaking on the road when I was backing into our camp spot. I investigated when I shut down and found the hydraulic supply line to the radiator fan motor had rubbed a hole in the lower radiator connecting steel pipe. That hydraulic line rested on the top of the steel pipe and over time rubbed through the hose rubber jacket, two plys of steel braid and was about to spray hot hydraulic fluid out. The radiator pipe wore through first so instead it shot a fine spray of coolant all over the underside behind the left rear tire/suspension. Not sure how much coolant we left on the highway but had no warning light or overheating prior to shutting down.

Fortunately I carry enough tools to remove the connecting pipe and drive it 60 miles to the nearest muffler shop who did a crude patch on it. I bought 2 cases of coolant, some 1" hose and an assortment of clamps and headed back to camp to replace everything.

The patch held for the return home trip. Once home I again removed the pipe, did a better job of welding, sanded the pipe down and repainted. Then I started inspecting the multiple hoses by the radiator and found several with abrasion from bending around metal parts/frame members etc. I replaced the main hydraulic line to the fan motor, replaced a section of the power steering return line, and using 1" hose slit lengthwise I added protection to any area that was contacting hoses. I also secured the hoses as most of the loop clamps were broken and not doing anything to hold lines in place. Then I checked the charge air cooler hose and found it had lost some bands and was expanding into the side of the radiator rubbing a nice hole through 3 of the 4 plys. Replaced that as well.

There are several hoses running around the radiator and transmission subject to abrasion. I have spent quite a bit of time under there but had never done a close examination of the hoses or the mounts for them until now.

I came very close to having a hydraulic disaster potentially burning up my new pump. I would suggest you inspect the hoses or have someone capable do a through inspection to prevent some road side disaster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SmoothedPatch.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	622.3 KB
ID:	332615   Click image for larger version

Name:	HydLine2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	332616  

Name:	OilCoolerLines.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	332617   Click image for larger version

Name:	LowerRadPipe1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	332618  

Name:	HydLine1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	332619   Click image for larger version

Name:	ChargeAirCoolerHose.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	332620  

Windward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 01:24 PM   #2

Yes, one of the prime reasons to do your own work on the coach is that you can inspect for just such wear when you are under there.

Would be a rare shop that would take the time to do that (not on the work order, so they would be doing it for free).

Again, good job.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:35 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Happened to me on the highway. A nut holding the rear mud flap was rubbing on the hydraulic line attached to the side cooler at the elbow. Apparently this was rubbing over many years and finally wore a hole in the line. Lost most of the fluid (a real mess). The hole was obscured by the protective loom over the hydraulic line. I fixed it in an auto parts parking lot. Had to throw those clothes away. Yes, get under there and inspect frequently!
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:43 PM   #4

Great post and lucky you experienced this at a campground and mot going down the highway. You are correct we all need to inspect regularly. These were very well made coaches but for what it is worth all Country Coach RV’s are at least 12 years old and most are much older. That said all the more reason to thoroughly inspect on a regular bases. Components vibrating and flexing for n my any years while running down the road can create a lot of wear and tear.

Tags
hydraulic