RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Coolant conversion question

A friend used a converter solution from Peak to change his coolant to OAT ....ORGANIC ACID TECHNOLOGY. ....it only took two gals. Would like to do the same, but cannot find it being sold anywhere. Has anyone done this and where did you get it??? Yes, I know most drain and flush....but if it is not necessay I would take this simple route.
daryl989mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #2

Perhaps this friend took a shortcut of his own devising? I’ve never heard of such a product. Ask him to show you the bottle it came in.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Perhaps this friend took a shortcut of his own devising? Iíve never heard of such a product. Ask him to show you the bottle it came in.
Fleetguard has an OAT conversion program. Perhaps Peak does as well.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Peak Global Final Charge is an OAT, I bought it from O'Reillys auto parts, a few years ago.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To what end? I put the green stuff in my old car and the orange stuff in the new car. That's what they came with, and I don't have to wonder what seals, gaskets or metals are compatible.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:36 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
To what end? I put the green stuff in my old car and the orange stuff in the new car. That's what they came with, and I don't have to wonder what seals, gaskets or metals are compatible.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

You cannot judge the formulation by the color. Best to read the label
Old 07-25-2019, 10:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Peak Global Final Charge is an OAT, I bought it from O'Reillys auto parts, a few years ago.
Yes it is. The OP only mentioned Peak, not Final Charge specifically. Not all Peak coolants are OAT.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Yes it is. The OP only mentioned Peak, not Final Charge specifically. Not all Peak coolants are OAT.
And the Final Charge I use, is not a 'conversion'- it is a replacement. And to be thorough, it is a full flush a few times (Preferably with distilled water.), running the OTR heater each time to clear out the hoses and heat radiator. Then either using Concentrate and Distilled water, or 50/50 mix, to refill your radiator.

I did not take much time, but searching Peak and Oat and Converter, well I see Final Charge mentioned in few returns.

I wonder if this is a simple matter of 'Failure to communicate.' ! Is it possible this was not in a large Diesel Pusher, but a smaller diesel engine where a few gallons of concentrate with distilled would have done it?

And very possible Peak has something out that did not show up in the search...

Please close the loop back on this, and let us know what you find out!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #9

Coolant conversion

Smitty.......no failure to communicate. The guy is a close friend and he used a converter solution..two gals made by Peak. He merely drained two gals and added the two converter gals. End of story. The conversion resulted in a OAT coolant good for 600,000 miles. The ph must be good and the freeze point good....before the conversion can be made.
daryl989mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl989mich View Post
Smitty.......no failure to communicate. The guy is a close friend and he used a converter solution..two gals made by Peak. He merely drained two gals and added the two converter gals. End of story. The conversion resulted in a OAT coolant good for 600,000 miles. The ph must be good and the freeze point good....before the conversion can be made.
Thanks for confirming it was an actual conversion... For those with well cared for cooling systems, that is going to be a lot less expensive proposition to do the change over!!

The timing was good on your post, as I know two people who are talking about 'converting' to OAT based coolant. One of them is going to probably need to do the full flush and convert to OAT coolant (It's a new coach to him, with limited documentation of maintenance. He'd already made a decision changing the radiator hoses, thermostat and doing a good flush.) But the other gent has taken good care of his coach, and doing a 'conversion' of existing coolant to OAT would be lots easier, and I suspect less expensive(?).

I'll suggest he look deeper into what Peak has to offer...

Best to you, and thanks again for confirming it was not just a communication problem... (Such a classic old movie! And the '40th egg...' line is good too!)
Smitty
Old 07-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
You cannot judge the formulation by the color. Best to read the label
Agreed. So we'll get specific. There's enough stories on the intertubes about ending up with sludge, along with issues of seals, gaskets and galvanic or corrosive damage to different metals by mixing incompatible coolants. Personally, I don't know all the formulations of all the seals, o-rings and gaskets in my engines, nor all the alloys and hardware throughout the engine and cooling system. So my question is, to what end? What is the reason one would want to switch coolants to anything but OEM? Even my old "conventional green" 1995 car that requires a coolant flush every 3 years or so amounts to $20 or so worth of coolant. So I don't think it's the economy of the "long life" coolants like dex-cool. What other reason would one risk cooling system damage or leaks by changing the coolant type? When I read the fine print on "universal" coolants they're not so universal and for the sake of convenience or the idea of extending a change interval a couple years, I don't think is worth the risk. What am I missing?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #12

Mark,

For me as a rookie coming into DP's, and hearing about SCA, and those who did not maintain the proper SCA levels and resulted in pitting, etc., etc.. I decided to look for some best practices on how to maintain this.

And as always, time marches forward and newer, 'sometimes' better, products and technology comes along.

On this forum under the Cummins area, as I had bought a coach with the ISL in it, I ran into a former member Spike45, a recently retired Fleetguard Engineer. It was discussions I first read with his input in them. And then some private emails with him, that nudged me towards Peak Final Charge (His suggestion, as he liked how easy it was to find Final Charge in say T/A Truck centers - in case more are needed for topping off. (I do carry a gallon of Final Charge Concentrate, and 2 rotate in two gallons of distilled water (Also used to dilute the boiler mix into the Hydro Hot.) - but I did have a leak from the famous rear bus heater valve while traveling in in Alberta. Before I could bypass it, I had gone thru 3 gallons of concentrate/distilled water. So easy access was a good thing!)

One of the key things that Skike45 commented on, was that OAT coolants cooled engines - usually run a bit cooler. Ours runs about 5 degrees cooler then our previous non OAT coolant does. And no more test strips to check SCA. No concerns of messing up the SCA level and hurting an engine. And I like KISS, which this made coolant management.

At the sometime we did our coach, we also changed our generator over to Final Charge too.

So those are some additional thoughts on SCA.

Some informative readings, on filters and coolants and other things, is to go to the Cummins section, and search for Spike45... Lots of great info shared from this gent - RIP! (And even some CAT people would occasionally pop into ask Spike45 for input!)

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty
Old 07-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #13

Coolant conversion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Agreed. So we'll get specific. There's enough stories on the intertubes about ending up with sludge, along with issues of seals, gaskets and galvanic or corrosive damage to different metals by mixing incompatible coolants. Personally, I don't know all the formulations of all the seals, o-rings and gaskets in my engines, nor all the alloys and hardware throughout the engine and cooling system. So my question is, to what end? What is the reason one would want to switch coolants to anything but OEM? Even my old "conventional green" 1995 car that requires a coolant flush every 3 years or so amounts to $20 or so worth of coolant. So I don't think it's the economy of the "long life" coolants like dex-cool. What other reason would one risk cooling system damage or leaks by changing the coolant type? When I read the fine print on "universal" coolants they're not so universal and for the sake of convenience or the idea of extending a change interval a couple years, I don't think is worth the risk. What am I missing?

Mark B. .....

Itís a choice. We can probably agree that a coolant flush on a DP will exceed $20. Changing to OAT coolant may or may not yield a long term financial gain. It will eliminate the need to measure SCA levels on a regular basis. OAT coolant is also purported to be less damaging to the environment, so we can all feel good about that.

On occasion new technology can provide benefits. Converting to OAT is something to consider.

FWIW: Iíve replaced my tires, shocks and batteries with non OEM products.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #14

Just to be sure I'm planning on having mine completely flushed and refilled with Peak Final Charge. What should I expect to pay a shop for this? I'm guessing around $500 or so?