Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #1

Correct Ride Height

My wife and I just purchased a used 2005 Country Coach Intrigue and I have a question about the ride height. The manual of the HWH Computerized Leveling system (2000 series) states the following:
“A lit "TRAVEL MODE" light indicates that the HWH Leveling System is in the TRAVEL MODE. It does not indicate that the suspension is at ride height or that the coach is ready to travel.”

Having read the manual, I can not find what the proper ride height should be. Right now it’s about 14” measuring from the front of the front wheel wells to the ground.

How does one determine what the correct ride height should be?
is it based on the weight of the vehicle?
Does one adjust it by utilizing the “Raise” or “Dump” button?

Thanks,

Chuck S
Brandon Florida
cavedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just recently got our CC so I am also learning the systems. I also discovered that even thought the green 'travel' light is on, the coach may not be at full ride height. Mine takes a bit to air up to ride height.

To me proper ride height is whatever height is achieved when the air bags are full, the coach is level front to back and side to side, and the suspension does not 'bottom out' when moving. This coach seems to ride lower than my previous DP which was on a Freightliner chassis. However, the quality of the ride is night and day difference (better) with this CC .
Old 06-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #3

I have a 2002 36' Intrigue. It has 3 ride height air valves. 2 in the back and 1 in the front. The ride height is measured under the coach between the frame rails and axel in the back. It is shown in the information on the rear axel and front suspension. Check there for the ride height information.
I also had problems when the front valve went bad. when it did that all the air came out of the front bags and the ride was brutal. There is a work around that can get you some place to get it fixed. Find the fuse, 7.5 amp, for the air bags. Use the mannual control to raise the air bags to the desired height then pull the fuse. It should hold air. Here's a hint before that happens. When your coach is at ride height measure all 4 corners and write it down so you can adjust it to the correct height if this happens to you. Also drive a slower speeds because the system will not automaticly correct.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #4

PS if you happen to be in Grand Junction Colorado DO NOT take your coach to Transwest Trucks. They haven't got a clue on what to do with motorhomes except tell you war stories about how they can't fix it and charge you an arm and a leg.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedvr View Post
My wife and I just purchased a used 2005 Country Coach Intrigue and I have a question about the ride height. The manual of the HWH Computerized Leveling system (2000 series) states the following:
“A lit "TRAVEL MODE" light indicates that the HWH Leveling System is in the TRAVEL MODE. It does not indicate that the suspension is at ride height or that the coach is ready to travel.”

Having read the manual, I can not find what the proper ride height should be. Right now it’s about 14” measuring from the front of the front wheel wells to the ground.

Thanks,

Chuck S
Brandon Florida
Chuck
I'm new to this also, have you checked to see if there is any water in the system and do you know if the air dryer/filter has been changed. Mine has 3 air valves up front DS that you can check to see if there is any moisture in the system. If you need to change it should take it in because you need to dump all the air no room under it then. Moisture in the system is bad on valves
Here is a youtube on a 05 Inspire little different but may be of some help about an hour long.

When you hit the level (air) 2 time does it level then go to sleep, then when you hit the Travel does the coach start to move and level. This may be of some help. http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml31043.pdf
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedvr View Post

Thanks,

Chuck S
Brandon Florida
Chuck,

What the caution in the manual addresses is that after leveling or dumping the air it will take time for the system to get up to proper ride height. The system will automatically pump up the suspension to the proper ride height if it is working propely--you do not need to do anything except wait until the coach is up to level. When I park on a fairly extreme slope, I start the engine, and get a sight line over the mirror. When I see the mirror stops moving, I know I have the travel ride height. However, the travel mode light will come on as soon as the engine is started and stay on. If the coach sits too low before you have the proper ride height, you may end up dragging some parts of the coach you don't want to drag thus the caution.

Adjusting the ride height is a whole different issue.

Per
95 Affinity
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
PS if you happen to be in Grand Junction Colorado DO NOT take your coach to Transwest Trucks. They haven't got a clue on what to do with motorhomes except tell you war stories about how they can't fix it and charge you an arm and a leg.
Must be a story there - we have a date with Transwest in Grand Junction to do a factory recall service on our Freightliner chassis cruise control system - 2012 Fleetwood Discovery 36J. Care to elaborate? Apologies to the OP, not meaning to steal the thread...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #8

I want to thank you all for the help!
cavedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #9

After I had my ride height set when installing new steering linkages, I measured the height of the wheel well openings from the ground. For my coach it came out about 43 inches. I can always check that measurement to see if my ride height is ok.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote