Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2020, 03:52 AM   #57

I’m using Napa marine/rv deep cycle 8ds going on seven years now.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #58

My Magna came with 2 8D house batteries. I replace them with two Lifeline 8Ds. They were great, they lasted six years (I boondock 3 or 4 months a year). I decided to try Trojan T-105 golf cart batteries. Eric Olstrom modified my slide-out battery tray to make it about an inch deeper allowing me to put six T105s in there. That's about 680 amp hours versus 500 for 2 8D's. The Trojans also lasted about six years I just replaced them with Duracell golf cart batteries from batteries plus. They are actually Deka batteries made by East Penn which are supposed to be quite high quality. I called the nearest Trojan dealer and they quoted me $200 each T105's. You can get cheap AGM's for that price these days and I'm hearing the Trojans are no better than the Duracell's. If I had the money I would get 6 volt AGM's or in my case try to get the double rack that many Magnus came with that would allow for 4 ad AGMs. With the watering system the maintenance on flooded GC batteries it's really not that big a deal. What I've experienced is that whatever you save on battery costs by buying flooded batteries you pay for in generator diesel since they take a lot longer to charge up than AGMs. This is only an issue if you boondock lot.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:58 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
You might be able to find that much but not typical/necessary. I just bought & installed 8 Duracell 6V AGM GC2s for under $200 each.
That's 1/3 of your quoted price???
Mine about right from what I've seen as FLA vs AGM vs Li
Using $100 / 100 AH FLA
AGM IS $200 = 2X
Firefly foam AGM $500 = 5X
Li $800-1000 = 8-10X ?
Don, I cannot find any Duracell AGM 6 volt GC2 batteries at Batteries Plus. Lots of Duracell gc-2 batteries but not AGM. Can you please post a link to what you purchased for under $200.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:29 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
Don, I cannot find any Duracell AGM 6 volt GC2 batteries at Batteries Plus. Lots of Duracell gc-2 batteries but not AGM. Can you please post a link to what you purchased for under $200.
Sam's Club is where I got mine.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...p_product_1_12
If you search their website for AGM battys you will get many sizes available.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:46 AM   #61

Country Coach Owners Club
I went with 2 300ah LiFePo4 batteries from here
https://www.lifebluebattery.com/home/index.html

Drop in replacement for the 4d AGM's I had
Room for two more if I decide I need/want them
Old 02-15-2021, 08:23 AM   #62

Country Coach Owners Club
I have an 05 Allure 470. It came with 4 - 4D batteries that dont really fit in battery bay. Could you show me a picture of your setup? I am in the Phx. Az. area and summer temps are high. I am having to fill batteries every 3-4 weeks while in storage. I'm wondering how the dry cell batteries would perform. Thanks for your help
Hersch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:44 AM   #63

Also in the Phoenix area, I have 2 Chassis batteries and 4 AGM batteries.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #64

8D Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I would guess more AH,easier to handle due to weight,true deep cycle and can be found cheaper.

Join AITA* and receive big discounts at NAPA , My CC uses 9 batteries total 1 Group 27 , 4 Group 31's , 4 8D's . My 8D's were $215.00 ea. with the discount Label says Marine RV Deep Cycle. I check and add Distilled Water 3 times a year.
* American Independent Truckers Association, costs ZERO to Join
JimDross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:34 AM   #65

Need Recommendation for my RV House Batteries.....2001 CC Magna 40' Tag

Hello,

I need to replace my two 8D AGM House Batteries. I am an engineer and may be over-researching this.

Some say replace the 8D's AGMS with 6V golf cart AGM's, flooded batteries, etc.

As mentioned previously we currently have two 8D AGMs 245AH. I would prefer flooded if possible, however leary to change without someone who has experience with flooded house batteries. I had a 40' Bertram with two flooded 8D batteries and experienced zero problems and they lasted for years.

Here is some info on our use:

1.) We rarely boondock
2.) We are hooked to shore power 90% when camoping
3.) We have an Onan 8.5KW Genset
4.) Maintenance on flooded batteies is not an issue with me. I wouold rather not use AGMs or Lithiums
5.) I do not want to modify the battery tray to fit batteries.

Would appreciate any input from those who have replaced 8D's with something else and the best place to purchase the batteries?

Jack C
2001 Coountry Coach Magna
40' w/Tag
8.5 KW Onan Genset
Located in McKinney (Dallas) Texas
Jackcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:48 AM   #66

A pair of 6V GCs will give you roughly the same AH as your 8D. Sams Club Duracell are a decent batty at an attractive price - about $85 ea for FLA and 2X that for AGM. Monthly watering and eventual corrosion of the batty tray are the biggest negatives of FLA but they have been around a long time and are a bargain.
Check your inverter/ charger settings as charger likely set for AGMs and should be changed for FLA.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:15 AM   #67

Help me understand.....two 6-volt bats have "roughly" the same amp/hrs as the 8D. If 600 or 800 amp/hrs is your target [seems many newer coaches fall in that range], I kind of get it that 2 or 3 8D's are simpler [more bats more cables] to install than 6 or 8 six-volt bats. Not withstanding the weight of a single 8D--almost a two person job to handle them--are there any performance or longevity advantages to an 8D bat?
PS--this is not a "Why not L-ion bats?" question...that is a whole different discussion.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:23 AM   #68

8D batteries are not true deep cycle, except the high priced Full River, Lifeline and a few other top of the line manufactures.

They are just big batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #69

Deep Cycle 8D

There is a company that makes true deep cycle lead acid flooded 8d batteries. They are a small family owned company, vs a large corporation, in the Seattle area. They manufacture two different 8D batteries, a Starting battery and a Deep Cycle. Different number of plates per cell and different plate thickness.

Dyno Battery - Premium Quality Battery Manufacturing - Made in the USA
letsride4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #70

Biggest advantage of FLA GC battys is generally best bank for a buck for a deep cycle batty. They are high volume and a great fit for house battys if you are interested in FLA. Typical 8D not a deep cycle (any won't even list an AH spec). Yes you can buy a deep cycle 8D but look at $/AH and I'll bet it higher than the very common $1/AH for GCs.
Sams Club FLA GCs you can get a pair rated at >200 AH for less than <$200... hard to beat.

Tags
batteries, country coach, house batteries