Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:47 AM   #1

Country Coach Air Leveling System

good morning,
I'm in the market for my first rv. Looking at country coach and newmar.
I've noticed that CC uses an air leveling system instead of jacks. what are the pros and cons of air vs jacks?
thanks
lt403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 06:52 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have HWH air leveling only on my CC. You may feel a little more movement with the air leveling.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:36 AM   #3

Pros - quick to level, no jack pads to put down, can level every time you stop if you want (I level at rest stops for lunch, walmart parking lots etc), never worry about damaging jacks (if levelled and release service brakes coach goes to ride height instantaneously), system can stay in stand by and re-level automatically if needed (I am not sure about newer jack systems),

Cons - possible additional movement (wife and i don't notice), height limits on out of level (not as much travel on air bag vs jack), ummm cant think of any more......

I prefer the air level on my CC.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #4

Some coaches have both!

I'll add that just like with Jacks, Air Leveling can be augmented if needed by placing blocks under the lower tires. I personally use blocks for both of the duals, if that is a required axle for supplemental blocks, as I don't like one tire carrying the full rear load. I usually find that I do not need to do the tag. All of this is similar to those who augment Jacks, with blocks under the feet if needed.

On the threads on this subject, she have said they feel the air leveling gives them a slight edge in heavy wind conditions, as the coach will partial lean/give away to the wind, allowing it to roll over the top. Where as a Jack system being mechanical, has no 'give'. (And others in that thread, said anywhere the winds were strong enough to make that an advantage - was a good place to move away from!) --- But all kidding aside, in a storm condition, close to hurricane and or tornado's - leaving if possible is the best move. If not, attempt to point the rear into the direction of the wind (hard to do accurately with swirling heavy wind storm conditions), slides in. And know where the emergency shelters are, and use them.

If ind air leveling to be easier to use then the jacks on our previous coach. No reason to go get the blocks out for under the jacks. No jacks sinking into soft mud, etc.

Best of luck to you on your search. Newmar and CC both have fine coaches - hope you find the one for you. (But tip, the CC also has the ownership gang with the great secret handshake...)
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:46 PM   #5

You will never break a windshield with air leveling.

With jacks, you can really tweak a chassis and break a windshield or get the coach so tweaked that the slides won't work properly
Old 02-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #6

I like air leveling because I can lower my coach and then level from there. It makes the coach lower to the ground when finally adjusted. With Jacks and no air leveling you start from your normal travel height and go up from there.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
Community Moderator

I like the principle of KISS. With leveling system no jacks, one less problem to worry about.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #8

Agree, air leveling on these heavy coaches would be my choice over jacks. Have balance issues and bouncy floors in homes drive me nuts. Never had a problem with the CC, and we spent many days on the OR coast.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #9

I have air leveling and like it. However, jacks usually allow for more uneven camp sites. We have camped for many years with our local motorhome group. I have seen lots of issues on the coaches with jacks but few on the three coaches in our group with air level.

I have had a few maintenance issues with air level. The controls for leveling can go out of wack. That can happen with jacks too. I once stopped by the maker HWH in Moscow IA. Really nice folks and they fixed my problem at little cost quick. Last year I had a local shop replace a part and HWH sent it to them quick.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #10

love that air system

we have it on ours and i really like it. it actually helps me manage my weight, some days when i walk from one end to other it will kick on.. :face palm: not a good sign, wife just gives me that glance.
really like it when you can make coach kind of heel down.
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #11

I've had both and for the most part prefer the air. The main downfall is not being able to level if the ground is too sloped. More of an issue with having slides since you cannot put the slide out if not level. There is some "bounce" with air but not too bad. The big plus to the air is being able to lower the coach before leveling, gets the steps down so no "big first step" getting in.
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #12

A couple comments above state that jacks adjust from ride height. Is this on some models only?

With mine, I dump the air tanks so coach drops to bottom first, then levels up from there. Only takes couple minutes, tons of travel and solid as a rock and doesn't change.

Then jacks up, tank fills, goes to ride height, and on my way. Also quick and easy.

I guess can have system control issues with air or jack. That's just the beast.

Mike
Old 02-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #13

I do just the reverse.

Park
Level
Drop Air

It almost always is still level at the end of the sequence. I cannot remember that it ever was not.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:14 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
I like air leveling because I can lower my coach and then level from there. It makes the coach lower to the ground when finally adjusted. With Jacks and no air leveling you start from your normal travel height and go up from there.
On my previous rig ('02 DSDP) I dumped my air then leveled from there. That got me a low starting point, not the ride height starting point. Late wife was vertically challenged so the lower the better.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, country coach, leveling