Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2021, 05:58 PM   #1

Country Coach inverter problems ??

we bought about 6 weeks ago. was charging from shoreline but stopped working properly on the way home. checked batteries , someone had installed 9 12 volt dry cell non matching batteries. when i looked into them 3 were bad. i wound up replacing them with 3 big batteries like the coach would have come with. i cleaned everything ,took photos, marked all cables so I know properly installed .. however ,shore power not charging batteries. then i noticed even with master switches off, inverter hums like a warehouse light. Is this normal ? Also should the on/off switch be on or off? Thanks for any help .. 2000 intrigue 32 footer.
Spittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 08:33 PM   #2

Inverter humming is not unusual if power is being applied to it. What inverter do you have -- is this the original Trace inverter?
Old 06-23-2021, 05:03 AM   #3

inverter

master switches off no generator running .. no shore power ..hums . Says heart interface Freedom model 20D
Old 06-23-2021, 07:23 AM   #4

Google that model inverter, and see if it has a reset button(?)! (Believe the 458 model we had in our 04 Allure had one.)
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:53 PM   #5

double check the voltage between negative and positive cables on the post going into the inverter/charger.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spittman View Post
we bought about 6 weeks ago. was charging from shoreline but stopped working properly on the way home. checked batteries , someone had installed 9 12 volt dry cell non matching batteries. when i looked into them 3 were bad. i wound up replacing them with 3 big batteries like the coach would have come with. i cleaned everything ,took photos, marked all cables so I know properly installed .. however ,shore power not charging batteries. then i noticed even with master switches off, inverter hums like a warehouse light. Is this normal ? Also should the on/off switch be on or off? Thanks for any help .. 2000 intrigue 32 footer.
The Charger will function whether the switch on the Inverter/Charger is on or off.

Our inverter switch on the box is normally off because I have a remote panel inside the rig controlling the invert function.

We get no hum unless there is shore power present as mentioned earlier.

Page 27 of the Manual is the trouble shooting section but does not address your question.

The Manual below is for the Freedom 20 also.

Freedom 25 Invertor.pdf
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #7

thanks a bunch
Old 06-29-2021, 05:37 PM   #8

i want to thank you again.. very helpful . i guess its time to buy and learn to use a voltmeter.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:46 PM   #9

You will get many miles from a voltmeter/multimeter as a MH owner.

Switch on or off:

My reply addressed the Invert switch on the inverter/charger itself.

Even with the house battery switch turned off inside the rig when connected to shore power, the battery charger should still charge the house batteries and maybe hum.

That charger will not charge the Chassis Battery. The engine alternator takes care of that. You can install an optional Echo charger which will help transfer some house battery voltage to the chassis battery.

12.6 dcv is regarded as a "full" 12v battery. Red probe on positive terminal, black probe on the negative battery terminal.

12.1 dcv is half empty battery and time to recharge.

When changing the batteries it is possible to blow one of the two 300A Class T inline fuses. I have one in the battery compartment and one near the inverter. Google that fuse for a picture of it. This could prevent battery charging. Check them with your new meter.

Start the Generator and see if it runs the Charging for the house batteries. Should be about 13.6 dcv measured, while the genset is running, at the house battery terminals or on your dash house battery gauge.

If that is the case, your charger is working but not with shore power for some reason.

The volt meter need not be expensive. I am still using the freebies from Harbor Freight.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:50 PM   #10

country coach batteries

you are so helpful. im hoping to get meter and find the problem this weekend. If i figure it out Ill post what i found. really appreciate the help.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #11

So how did the Multimeter hunt and circuit testing go?
Old 08-08-2021, 05:20 PM   #12

i bought a used meter on craigslist . the guy was very helpful and i think it will come in handy . in the meanwhile we had an appointment to get all problems fixed . some small some not so small. the only thing left it to replace the invertor, which i plan to do myself. im picking up the coach tomorrow and hopefully after the new invertor , shes ready for our maiden voyage. the one in it is a freedom 20D and looks to be original . after reading some of the post on here im planning on replacing with a magnum. with new brakes,tires,and a host of other things, hopefully she will be sweet . its not our 1st rv so i know ,its always something. But hopefully all the major stuff is good for a while.

Tags
inverter, problem, ems, problems, country coach