Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2019, 09:32 AM   #1

Country Coach Rock Guard

I have read quite a bit about the pros and cons of the big mud flaps, and picking up rocks on the TOAD. But, since I am a new Country Coach owner, I still like the look of the shiny name on the back of my coach.

I took it off because the rubber broke, the L frame is bent, and it has some serious scrapes on the stainless steel that needs some work, and I don't have the desire to do it myself. I took it to a chrome shop in So California, and they wanted $350 just to buff out the chrome.

I know I can buy another one from Duraflap, but I prefer keeping the OEM, or finding another one. Not sure what to do yet. I may try to find a more reasonably priced shop, but everyone is very busy, and we are on the move ( for now, So California, then Utah, then home in Colorado) for awhile. Any ideas would be appreciated!
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #2

My advice would be to just leave it off. Those mud flaps cause more rocks to be hurled up towards the toad then not having them does. If you really want the chrome commercial, how about attaching it to the back of the RV (without the rubber of course)? Or is that possible?

Let the mud flaps behind the rears do the job of keeping rocks off your toad for you.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #3

efstewart, you can buy one from Future Sales RV, see here for their custom option. Other CC owners have been satisfied with getting a new rock guard from them. They're not cheap or fast, though.

My rock guard looks pretty bad to me and I'd really just like to get rid of it -- but I've held back because I'm afraid my toad will start getting pelted with (more) rocks. I'd love to hear from other CC owners that have removed theirs and have been satisfied with the result.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:55 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
A lot depends on how the full width mud flap is positioned. Our Diplomat and our Windsor both tossed rocks at our toad. I had to use one of those fabric screens that covers the space between the coach rear and toad front bumpers.

Our Country Coach has the flap positioned much further back, near the rear bumper. It tosses no rocks whatsoever. I no longer use the screen and we get no road debris on the toad.

I think the gap between the bottom edge of the flap and the road surface has an effect too.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Echo to Dave's... I leave the mud flap on. There are a lot of tiny paint chip-offs on the front bumper cover of the toad but only to the area below the level that the cross bar of the Roadmaster is at; not above. It doesn't look bad. In the event I wanted to replace the bumper, I'd just go get a new after market bumper cover (plastic anyway) and match paint it (for less than $200 parts and labor, cheaper than a Protect-a-Tow). The install of the bumper cover is easy peasy.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
A lot depends on how the full width mud flap is positioned. Our Diplomat and our Windsor both tossed rocks at our toad. I had to use one of those fabric screens that covers the space between the coach rear and toad front bumpers.

Our Country Coach has the flap positioned much further back, near the rear bumper. It tosses no rocks whatsoever. I no longer use the screen and we get no road debris on the toad.

I think the gap between the bottom edge of the flap and the road surface has an effect too.

FWIW
Dave, you hit all the reasons I would never remove my flap.

All flaps are not created or mounted equally. I have followed these discussions and made a point to look at the flaps on other brands of motorhomes.

Many flaps are shorter, hung from chains with a gap at the the top and more space between the bottom of the flap and the road. My flap, as most Country Coach flaps that I have seen, is also mounted to the rear of the coach, up against the frame and comes very close to the ground. It is rigid, and does not "flap" in the wind. In addition, there are flaps directly behind the rear tires. I have never had damage to either my Jeep or vehicle on a trailer.

I think that each experience will vary based on the size, design and installation of the flap by different brand motorhomes or aftermarket installers.
Sherpa Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #7

I removed mine as it dragged on my high angle driveway. It takes away about 3 inches of clearance.

Consider shipping cost if you do not buy local.

It is also one more thing to offer wind resistance.

Put a good mud flap behind the rear tire to keep the rocks off.

I look at it this way. It creates a high pressure wind turbulence just inches above the ground that can cause rocks to lift.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #8

Our flap seems to work fine over 80,000 miles.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is positioned just behind the rear wheels and I have not gotten any rock damage on my toad after many miles. I’m wondering if the position of the flap contributes to the damage some have received. I have seen that some manufacturers install them right at the rear of the Coach. To those that have had toad damage, where was your flap positioned?
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #10

Ours is removed. We get more damage from vehicles passing us, or coming towards us, then we do from the debris from our rear Drive/Tags...

Best to all, have fun, be safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #11

Our 06 has the CC mudflap set back by the bumper. Between it and the rigid piece beneath the side radiator, it creates the correct aerodynamics to properly cool the C13. Before you shoot, I am just a messenger, not an engineer. But, it makes sense. And I do get the benefit of reduced road debris coming up to the Jeep. And...I think it looks cool. Bill.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee 45 View Post
Our 06 has the CC mudflap set back by the bumper. Between it and the rigid piece beneath the side radiator, it creates the correct aerodynamics to properly cool the C13. Before you shoot, I am just a messenger, not an engineer. But, it makes sense. And I do get the benefit of reduced road debris coming up to the Jeep. And...I think it looks cool. Bill.
Heck, the whole Coach looks cool
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Isn't the plate stainless steel? If so it just needs polishing again. Not hard but time consuming.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #14

Oh yeah, very cool. And I do polish the stainless logo every time I polish the rims. Like any custom, wheels and paint!

Tags
country coach