Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #1

Country Coach Rockguard

Ok I lost my Rock guard during last trip (after 20 years!!). Probably had something to do with the fuel line I lost a few years back that sprayed everything with diesel fuel. I couldn’t part with my heavy duty “Country Coach” chrome Emblem, so I purchased a standard rubber (16 inch x 94) rock guard on Amazon for $110 and mounted the emblem on it. (Very good quality) I’m reading that this thing should be installed minimum of 4 inches Off the road?? Wow. My last one was maybe 1-2 inches. I may need to cut this down a bit???? 1999 Intrigue. With a solid angle iron rail attached to frame!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6B0F6430-1A69-43D8-BA10-DB6093E63C37.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	306458   Click image for larger version

Name:	87FD4BFD-44C0-47DE-8796-4DEB47BF991E.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	306459  

CWTeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 12:43 PM   #2

Mine stated coming apart so I replaced it with a slip in bed liner for a pickup bed I had cut to fit, worked great plus I have enough for 3 more If needed. This has the fiber in it plus I'm 6in off the ground.
2 stroker Click image for larger version

Name:	20170605_072317.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	306467
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTeel View Post
Ok I lost my Rock guard during last trip (after 20 years!!). Probably had something to do with the fuel line I lost a few years back that sprayed everything with diesel fuel. I couldn’t part with my heavy duty “Country Coach” chrome Emblem, so I purchased a standard rubber (16 inch x 94) rock guard on Amazon for $110 and mounted the emblem on it. (Very good quality) I’m reading that this thing should be installed minimum of 4 inches Off the road?? Wow. My last one was maybe 1-2 inches. I may need to cut this down a bit???? 1999 Intrigue. With a solid angle iron rail attached to frame!
My rock guard is original. It's height is 12" and the top of the rock guard is mounted 2 3/4" below the flat steel plate that is directly behind and slightly lower than the hitch receiver. I am not at travel height right now, but can measure that rock guard to road surface for you when I am again at travel height. If I remember correctly, it seemed like mine is fairly close to the surface, but don't know the exact measurement. I touches the ground in some circumstances when auto leveled, depending upon the conditions. My mounting appears to be the same angle iron rail as you describe.
Sherpa Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:06 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I would get it higher than the 1-2" mentioned, possible 6" or so. What happens is that the flap creates an "air dam" in front of the flap and causes small debris to get kicked up in front of the flap which could then be thrown into the fan and then some bounces out onto the toad. Some owners remove the rear flap and rely on the mud flaps behind the tires.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Mine stated coming apart so I replaced it with a slip in bed liner for a pickup bed I had cut to fit, worked great plus I have enough for 3 more If needed. This has the fiber in it plus I'm 6in off the ground.
2 stroker Attachment 306467

I would like to see details on this. Does it help on saving the toad from copious amounts of dirt.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:11 AM   #6

Yes there has been discussion other treads where many have totally removed the rockguard I can tell you we had no choice after we lost ours. 1/2 was dragging so I had to do a roadside repair and cut it off. After that my tow got pummeled with small rocks taking paint chips off the front of my Jeep. They also say engine runs cooler without. My engine runs a 180 degrees. So I don’t need it any cooler.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:20 AM   #7

We have had many customers tell us that their rear mud flap was throwing rocks at their toad. If it is closer than 4" to the ground they will not only hit the ground on uneven gravel roads, but they can create a wind tunnel effect and throw loose rocks along the road at the toad.
Hang the mud flap on chains rather than hard attaching them. Than it can fly up and over any large obstacles you end up going over and not get t-boned. It may also help push any items that are air borne toward the radiator back down to the ground as they come back down.
Don't forget to make sure your mud flaps are good behind your dual rear tires. That is where the rocks start, so stop them there.
DuraFlap Mud Flaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:02 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Our main mud flap is 5 inches above ground when coach is in travel mode. There are some minor chips on the front bumper cover of the toad, but none on the hood and fenders.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:19 PM   #9

I removed our Mud Flap in late 2012. I did not measure how high it was off of the ground. I removed it because we had gravel chips inner paint of our CRV, and many times several stones at the base of our windshield. We were planning a trip to Alaska, and after reading Pro/Con on Mudflap vs Non Mudflap - and knowing what I'd seen in 2+ years of with Mudflap - I removed it.

We had less gravel at the base of our windshield.

About 8 years later, our same toad does have many 'Road Warrior' signs of travel. Would it have been less with the Mudflap on? No way I can say for sure. But, IMO, yes.

Now, lots of dynamics involved. What is the length of the coach? Tag or Non Tag? What is the length from the furthest rear wheel (Tag or Non Tag) to the back of the coach. Does the last furthest rear wheel have a Tire Guard, or not? (Ours did, and suspect that handled 80%+ of the rocks floating up form this wheel.

We did have a Tag, so our Drive tires were that much further forward...

Apples to Oranges in what may work for some coaches, vs others...

I never felt the need to put our mudflap back on...

04 40' Allure with Tag.

We frankly had more damage from rocks/gravels from vehicles either coming toward us on tight roads. Or passing us. Then I feel was ever generated from our own Drive/Tag. Again, on our specific coach and it's layout of Drive/Tag to where the Toad was waiting for impact!

I did know one gent with a Alpine. The hung his Mud Flap up as high as he could get it. He drover 5K with it down, and 5K with it up - and on his coach with tag, he felt the had less damage to his Toad with it up, then down...

(And yes. It's for sure not scientific! His and my opinion...)

And, I do know many Owner's who swear that the Mudflap's are a positive protection for the toad form gravel tossing up...

So IMO, the best thing to do, is try a few thousand miles each way. And make your own conclusions for your 'specific' coaches!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:41 AM   #10

UPDATE: I got the flap installed yesterday. Took about 2 hours. I hadn’t noticed that there are two 6x24 inch metal plates that go from top of angle iron up into the frame to keep rock from going forward! Turns out those plates are sandwiched in the middle of the angle and the rubber so it was somewhat difficult to line everything up... Having said that, four hands are needed (2 person job). I ending up cutting 5 inches off the top of the 16 inch width which gave me 11 inches and approx 5 inches above road at travel height!! (Used stainless steen screws and lock washers). 👍🏻
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5BCCDA03-7F59-4F13-B451-24E3C61E9404.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	306960  
Old 11-05-2020, 08:09 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Looking very nice .
Old 11-05-2020, 01:27 PM   #12

Good job! Thanks for letting us know how your project ended up.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave 430
Here is my results on the rock guard I had that was only 2" above ground. My guard was attached to the underbody by 2 hinges. The first rock guard I had, bent, because it got stuck on the ground when lowering the coach. I purchase a used one and I finally took it off because of the rocks it allowed to collect in the Hood/Window cowling area (refer to picture). I replaced it with something similar to #2 by Stroker. It is a curtain that is about the same size of the coach. But there is also a pit fall there also. During a sharp turn into a RV spot, it gouged the right rear area of the coach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010148.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	307289  
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:10 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 430 View Post
Here is my results on the rock guard I had that was only 2" above ground. My guard was attached to the underbody by 2 hinges. The first rock guard I had, bent, because it got stuck on the ground when lowering the coach. I purchase a used one and I finally took it off because of the rocks it allowed to collect in the Hood/Window cowling area (refer to picture). I replaced it with something similar to #2 by Stroker. It is a curtain that is about the same size of the coach. But there is also a pit fall there also. During a sharp turn into a RV spot, it gouged the right rear area of the coach.
Wow, that doesn't look good. 5" or 6" clearance should be good as I've never seen rocks in the pit at the bottom of the windshield.

Tags
country coach