Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Cummins 330hp Diesel Oil Change

I am very new to this, we just purchased a 1999 Allure and I don't know when the last oil change occured. How much on average does one pay for an oil change? Can you do it yourself? etc.

Thanks a bunch for any insight,

Hoot
hootgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #2

You absolutely can do it yourself with ease if you have somewhere you are comfortable. You will need a very large drain pan for the oil as the oil level is measured in gallons and not quarts. An oil change at someplace like a Freightliner shop should run in the $200-$400 range depending upon where you are having it done. You need to change the fuel filter(s) along with the oil filter(s) and this is a good time to have the brakes adjusted (if necessary on your coach) as well as change the air filter if you don't have any service records. A chassis lube is also in order. Do not crawl full body under your coach without the proper support stands under your axles and never use your jacks to raise the coach so you can go underneath (watched a guy nearly die at an FMCA rally in Perry, GA who did that). Do it your self is cheap, hospitals are expensive. If you have the right facilities, you should be able to follow all the guidelines and get it all done without taking up more time than it's worth.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
With the same engine we just paid $199. at Camping World (not known for their cheap prices). 18 quarts were used. There are other nationwide trucking facilities which are even less expensive which others will probably mention.
When I start doing the oil changes, a fumoto valve will be installed (google it). That way, a 5' garden type hose can be connected and oil drained into 5 one gallon containers w/o oil everywhere.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #4

Speedco has locations around the country that will do DP along with trucks. I have read that your size engine would be about $160. They can also do on-site oil test for you.

I do my 300HP Cummins at home for $55.00 for Rotella T oil from Walmart.

I buy filters from FilterBarn.com and order $100 worth at one time to avoid shipping costs. The filters are about 50% of retail store prices.

For filter costs:

Oil $22.00; Water Separator: $10.00 Coolant Filter: 8.60 Fuel: 5.00 Air Filter; $35.00

My engine needs 20 quarts each change so I need that capacity to catch the drain oil.

Jiffy Lube or the Garbage company will take the drain oil.

I use flattened cardboard boxes for drip catching and transfer the drain oil to the bottles the new oil came from.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
gla

Thumbs up

deandec did a great job of giving oil change info. filterbarn.com could have save me $60 on my last oil,fuel & air filter change and i would like more info adjusting the brakes. how ever he left out the fun parts of changing your oil and filter. 1)after crawing under your rig don't forget your tools, pan, rags ect. Reaching as high as you can to unscrew the filter that holds about 1 gal. of very hot oil. now lower the filter not spiling any on your hand,arms,face,ect. lower the filter with both hands and tilt it into the drain pan,watch out for the back splash. 2)now after filling the new filter with new oil and reaching back up screw the filter on,(don't cross the threads). 3) any clothing that gets used diesel oil on is a throw away.4) be sure to have a funnel that can be used to fill the oil pan. Not that i have done any of the above but i take good notes watching my wife.. as dirty harry said a man has to know his limits.
gla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #6

I did forget to mention that I save our kitchen storage zip lock bags and use a cleaned 1 gallon zip lock bag slipped over my LF3000 filter to catch spillage when spinning it off the engine.

Since I have a side radiator, I can remove and install the filter standing in front of the engine.

Spillage is minimized by learning the angles of insertion and removal through practice.

I wash and reuse the clothing with diesel oil for the same purpose at next oil change.

I do use an electric pump to vacuum the drain pans and put the used oil into the gallon bottles just emptied.

Deandec
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote