Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2023, 03:27 PM   #1

Cummins ISL Code 539

Happy New Year everybody! Wondering if anyone knows or has had experience with code 539? I had a yellow light come on so I used my diagnostic key and counted the flashes but there is no 539 listed in the Dynomax listing of codes in our binder. If anyone could assist, I would appreciate it.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Evening Star" #11290
FlyingW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2023, 11:09 AM   #2

Here's another thread about that code: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/war...de-572435.html. The 539 code apparently pertains to the transient suppressor.

Here's another post about transient suppressor failure in an ISC causing the lift pump to fail and injector pump fuel distributor module to fail: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/8-3...ml#post5719293. So, you may not want to keep running your ISL while your engine is throwing that code. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2023, 06:35 PM   #3

Thanks Dave, I'll check it out and get it resolved. Appreciate your response with the links.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:24 AM   #4

Apparently this code is not active for the ISL. When using Quickserve, the engine serial number does not have a Transient Suppressor associated with it. I am going to physically put my hands on the Transient Suppressor and go from there.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:16 PM   #5

Final update:
The transient suppressor is indeed installed on the 2001 model year 8.9 ISL. As previously noted, the engine serial number does not show one installed per Cummins Quick Serve. I sent them an e-mail and a kind gentleman in parts did some digging through the old paper manuals and confirmed the part number 3944110 is applicable.

The transient suppressor is accessible from underneath and is bolted to the block adjacent to the starter motor and beneath the fuel injection pump.

One more note to mention, I borrowed a SnapOn Heavy Duty scanner and connected it to the Deutsch connector under the dash. It did not pick up any codes nor did it have any codes to clear. The only method available to me was to use the diagnostic key and count the flashes (539). Once the new suppressor was installed, I started the coach and after about 30 seconds, the code cleared.

I hope this info. helps someone. This has been a bit exciting since nothing for the ISL could be found on the internet or confirmed through Cummins. A pending trip didn't help things either.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:29 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I sent you a PM regarding the diagnostic key.....

Out of interest, did you try plugging the Snap On scanner in to the plug at the rear on the Motorhome? I've read other owners stating the rear plugs working but the forward ones did not.
2001 40 foot Country Coach Intrigue "Suite of Dreams" Build#11294.
Chevy Equinox toad
Ozzsp250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzsp250 View Post
I sent you a PM regarding the diagnostic key.....

Out of interest, did you try plugging the Snap On scanner in to the plug at the rear on the Motorhome? I've read other owners stating the rear plugs working but the forward ones did not.
I did not try the rear plug will but will do so before returning the scanner. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:22 PM   #8

I always appreciate threads like this, when we of course have members helping each other, but also when the OP comes back and gives an update... That is how those in the future researching problems, get the dividends of good threads like this one!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:13 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Out of interest I did some research to try and find an inexpensive scanner that would work with my coach. Looking for HD units that were compliant for J1939 and J1708. It turns out many are compliant for USA model 2006 equipment and later while also being compliant for European models equipment 2012 and later.
I don't know what the differences are.

Does any use a scanner for model 2000 coaches they would recommend?
2001 40 foot Country Coach Intrigue "Suite of Dreams" Build#11294.
Chevy Equinox toad
Ozzsp250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW View Post
Final update:
The transient suppressor is indeed installed on the 2001 model year 8.9 ISL. As previously noted, the engine serial number does not show one installed per Cummins Quick Serve. I sent them an e-mail and a kind gentleman in parts did some digging through the old paper manuals and confirmed the part number 3944110 is applicable.

The transient suppressor is accessible from underneath and is bolted to the block adjacent to the starter motor and beneath the fuel injection pump.

One more note to mention, I borrowed a SnapOn Heavy Duty scanner and connected it to the Deutsch connector under the dash. It did not pick up any codes nor did it have any codes to clear. The only method available to me was to use the diagnostic key and count the flashes (539). Once the new suppressor was installed, I started the coach and after about 30 seconds, the code cleared.

I hope this info. helps someone. This has been a bit exciting since nothing for the ISL could be found on the internet or confirmed through Cummins. A pending trip didn't help things either.
I replaced the transient suppressor last summer just as a maintenance item. Ran into the same problem with Cummins. They screwed their parts system up somehow. More Chinese involvement maybe. The shop I ordered it through new exactly what I wanted. I believe all caps engines use the same one. Cummins still shows it for the ISCs.

Tags
cummins