Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 09:52 PM   #1

Dash Air Not Cooling Much

I know there are many treads regarding Country Coach’s dash air. Does anyone have a compiled list of those posts I could see? Is there a sticky on the subject? I want to do my own research before I turn it over to a paid mechanic.

In the meantime, a friend is going to check my system and add 134. I presume the compressor is somewhere in the engine compartment but where are the other OBA components located, particularly the dust covers for the high and low pressure line fillers?

Jerry
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 09:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The refill/test port(s) are typically behind the front cap closer to the passenger side.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #3

I just added a can of Freon last week. Buy a can with the hose attached from your local parts store and with the engine and AC on hook it up to the low pressure port near the compressor on the engine. It will empty the can in several minutes. It’s pretty much idiot proof as the hose won’t fit on the high pressure fitting.

A lot of the cans have gauges on them but don’t seem very accurate on a coach because of the long hose runs. If it blows cold don’t worry about the reading.

Dan
Captain Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
After attending several rallies and talking to multiple Cummins reps at different times over several years in different places, I have decided to follow their recommendations. Your engine driven AC will cost you more in fuel mileage than running your generator to run your house AC. I haven't used my dash air in the last 8 yrs. But if you want to help support the family of a poor mechanic and those suffering oil companies executives, I commend your generosity.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #5

The AC can never overcome the heater even at a slight heater flow. Make certain the heater valve is completely closed (NO FLOW). I have had to clamp the heater inlet hose closed to assure it was totally off.
wsmcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
TR4

Jerry,
The hi and low ports are on the top of my compressor. My compressor sits on the top of the motor. My dryer was next to the compressor. Harbor Freight has some inexpensive gauges you can use to check your hi and low pressures.

These RV a/c systems can get frustrating and costly to maintain. Pumping Freon eighty feet isn’t very efficient.

This is a good site to answer a lot of your questions. This poster had a problem with the a/c on his motor home.
36' motorhome factory AC terribleÂ*Pages: 12 - Automotive Air Conditioning Information Forum

Bill
Old 05-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #7

I am in the process of repairing my OTR AC system for the second time in 16 years. One compressor cools both the dash area and the bedroom area.

If you have lost some but not all cooling, adding some 134a might help. Stick a thermometer in the vents to see what current cooling temp you get and leave it there after adding some 134a. (No more than one can because the system is under high pressure and has a max capacity.)

If you can improve the cooling for some period of time but it fails again, you will need to chose between feeding the monster or repairing it.

FWIW:

My aftermarket compressor failed after 5 years of use. It still compressed, but the compressor clutch fell apart so to speak. So I bought another $180 compressor and have mounted it but not filled the system. I also changed out the two $20 receiver/dryers. Since component removal necessitates vacuuming and refilling the system, I have to fill the system. That will cost me about $70.

On my much older rig:

One Compressor driven an engine fan belt at passenger side of engine.
One Receiver/Drier fastened to the frame rail just below the compressor.
Two 134A valve ports in the lines leaving the compressor to the upper right.
One Receiver/Drier in the cabinets above the bed.
One Evaporator in the cabinets above the bed, for cooling the rear of the rig.
One Evaporator in the lower passenger side dash for front cooling.
Dual Condensor fans at the rear passenger side of the coach.

134a refrigerant leaks can occur at valve port schrader valves, connector seals or in the condenser, evaporators and hoses.

My system takes 5 lbs of 134a (<7 cans) and 8 oz of Pag Oil. You should find the requirements of your rig on a label in the engine compartment.

I have learned to fix this myself so far by using instructions from the internet.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I know there are many treads regarding Country Coach’s dash air. Does anyone have a compiled list of those posts I could see? Is there a sticky on the subject? I want to do my own research before I turn it over to a paid mechanic.

In the meantime, a friend is going to check my system and add 134. I presume the compressor is somewhere in the engine compartment but where are the other OBA components located, particularly the dust covers for the high and low pressure line fillers?

Jerry
If your friend is an A/C mechanic he will know how to charge it. If not run the engine to 1200 / 1500 RPM steady and charge thru the suction (low pressure) port until you get a clear sight glass on the receiver. That will give you fully charged system.

Good luck and be careful.....
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, cooling, dash, dash air