RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #1

Dash blower motor access

Has anyone accessed the blower motor for the dash air/heat in a 2000-2004 Magna or Affinity without pulling the entire assembly? Mine is making a noise that almost sounds like there's a piece of debris in there. It could be the motor bearing. It comes and goes and it's affected by bumps in the road. I know that the set up in these Magnas usually require a massive job entailing pulling the entire assembly which involves disconnecting air conditioner lines and the coolant lines. I'm wondering if I could get in there without doing that to see if there's any debris or try to lubricate the motor bearing. Probably not but never hurts to ask.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #2

I have a Allure, and I was able to get to the dash plenum (Valve out.) by removing the cabinet in front of the passenger seat. Have not input for you on the Magna, sorry!!!

If no one else jumps in, try calling around to:

- Eric O. in Tucson
- Kevin Waite
- OMC
- Premier

One of these shops might be able to give you some feedback. You might also try PM'ing gsanders1, as he has an 03 Magna and is one of the most knowledgeable posters on that era Magna on the board... (Pretty sharp on E-Bikes too!)

If you get the chance, share what you find out, as it could help someone else down the road...

Best to you,
Smitty

Old 05-14-2020, 10:56 PM   #3

Thanks Smitty.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I have had my lower passenger dash panel off many times to fine tune the AC controls, replace the expansion valve, and blow out the refrigerant lines from the front of the coach to the rear Dryer for the dash cooling system.

The evaporator and blower damper were front and right but I cannot specifically answer your question about the blower motor.

I believe your rig is similar my old rig with the dash panel held in place by two screws each behind a pressed on covered button at the top of the access panel.

It takes about 30 seconds to open it up. Seems to be lots of room to work.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:49 PM   #5

Thanks Dean. Yes 4 screws on my Magna. I was just hoping someone had been down that road and knew what was possible. I will dive in to the rat's nest.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:24 PM   #6

Dash Heat/AC Blower Replacement

Hello to all! I have been reading many of the threads on the iRV2 forums for several years but am new to posting for help. I have read many useful tips for maintaining my 1997 Monaco Windsor.
As a very happy owner of a new-to-me 2007 CC Allure, I get to start the learning curve all over again.
My current protect involves the replacement of the dash heat/AC blower. Having owned my Windsor for almost 20 years, I found my way to completing many DIY repairs (including replacement of the dash AC/heater blower!) & upgrades due primarily to the iRV2 forums, for which I am very thankful. Any help in how I can get to the blower would be most helpful. Thank you.

Felix
2007 Allure Sunset Bay #31448
fstruys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:24 AM   #7

I had mice in mind and had to open the blower area to clean it out. Here is what I did on our 2000 allure, not sure if yours is the same unit.

Remove access panel in front of passenger seat. Locate unit and remove some of the hoses to get access. On ours there is a flat piece of metal secured by a whole lot of sheet metal screws. This is the blower motor cover. The motor is inside of this cover and the motor is located in the middle with two shafts coming out, one on each side. On each side is a squirrel cage for air flow. Just so you can visualize.

Remove the cover and then you can get access to the fan unit. Now the hard part is getting your hand and arm in there to get screws out. I am a small guy and had a terrible time getting in there but once you get started it isn't so bad. I took cover off and vacuumed it out and also used compressed air to blow and vacuum out stuff. Good luck. Take some Advil first.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #8

Thank you all for your input. I opened things up and examined the Dash HVAC unit. Unfortunately, the Magnas and Affinitys at least of these years have a totally different unit than the lower level coaches. It is made by SCS. I now have the model number and the label. There are two blowers. They are in the front of the unit and as far as I can see, as well as reading posts by people who did this job and talking to Eric Olstrom, the only way to access these blower motors is to remove the entire unit and separate the front assembly from the rest. One person estimated it took him about 20 hours and of course this involves removing the air conditioning lines, evacuating the refrigerant and then recharging the system which involves driving to a professional. Of course the heater lines have to be removed as well and the core drained.

This is an obsolete unit, but a company called Victor took over SCS and they still make a few parts including blower motors and squirrel cages. They have blow up pictures of the unit on their website and one look would make it obvious to anyone you cannot get to the fans without removing the unit.

As part of this process I turned on the fan while I was in there and it is a very loud shrieking noise. It's either a bearing or there's some debris in there hitting the squirrel cage. Perhaps it's possible to blow some air in there I don't know. I will call Victor on Tuesday and see what they have to say but I am pretty confident this is a very massive and very expensive undertaking. One person noted that if CC had provided considerable slack in the AC and heater lines it might have been possible to to get to the fans without completely removing the unit and the lines, but they didn't.

If anyone knows how to get to the motors without pulling the unit please let me know just keep in mind anyting applying to the Dash HVAC system in an Allure, Intrigue or Aspire is not relevant to this job since it's an entirely different unit and much more accessible.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:18 AM   #9

If the motor and parts are hard to find I would take the motor to a place and have it re built if that is what is needed. I know we have an amish shop near us that rebuilds all starters, alternators and all types ov 12f dc motors. Maybe it just needs some oil on a bearing.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
If the motor and parts are hard to find I would take the motor to a place and have it re built if that is what is needed. I know we have an amish shop near us that rebuilds all starters, alternators and all types ov 12f dc motors. Maybe it just needs some oil on a bearing.
I spoke with Victor today. They have the motors, $92. Really the motor is the least of it it's pulling the entire unit removing me refrigerant, etc. The guy thinks that these motors just have a bushing which of course wears out and cannot be reached to lubricate without disassembling the entire unit. Your suggestion to go to a rebuild place therefore might be helpful since it might be worth it to have an actual bearing put in there if possible, so this does not happen again.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #11

Rich,
I removed the screws. Took a hack saw blade and cut the plastic housing enough to get motor out.
Replaced new motor. Silicone the cut seam. Replaced the screws to align. Let dry and installed aluminum duct tape to all seams. Nice and tight the next day. No noise and fan is strong!
Best, Don
Lacota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacota View Post
Rich,
I removed the screws. Took a hack saw blade and cut the plastic housing enough to get motor out.
Replaced new motor. Silicone the cut seam. Replaced the screws to align. Let dry and installed aluminum duct tape to all seams. Nice and tight the next day. No noise and fan is strong!
Best, Don
Don,

I would do it that way if I could. I don't see how it's possible: The motors in my SCS unit are in the front of the unit, up against the firewall. I don't see how to access them. Also, mine has two motors. What screws are you referring to?

Here is a link to a website that has blow ups of the unit. Is that the same unit you have?

https://comfortairgr.com/shop/motorh...390-088-00228/
Old 05-28-2020, 11:28 PM   #13

Wait a minute folks: I went under the front of the coach, looked up there is a rectangular white plastic piece that appears to be under the dash AC unit. Looks like it's held in by 2 screws. Would removing this give me access to the blower motors? Don, is this what you're referring to that you removed?
Old 05-29-2020, 09:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
Wait a minute folks: I went under the front of the coach, looked up there is a rectangular white plastic piece that appears to be under the dash AC unit. Looks like it's held in by 2 screws. Would removing this give me access to the blower motors? Don, is this what you're referring to that you removed?
Rich,
Sounds like we have two different units. On mine I can lift the whole dash up and prop it vertical. Then, on the riders side the fan motor is plainly visible. The prob. I encountered is the motor will not come out since it was installed in the large plastic surround. I removed the mounting screws and cut just enough of the mount to remove the motor. (two screws).You cannot remove motor unless you remove the whole assembly or cut a small amount of the plastic mounting.
The motors are available on line.
If I knew how to post a picture I could send it to you. Best, Don

Lacota is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash