Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2015, 05:51 PM   #1

Dead chassis and house batteries

My 02 Intrigue 36' has been parked in storage for 6 weeks, went to start it this evening and everything is dead. I always turn off the main switch to both battery systems after I park. Its in covered storage but have no power source. Can anyone tell me what is the easiest way to get her running again, and with both switches for the batteries in the off position what if anything could have still been on that would have drained them. The covered storage that I am in has all three sides walled off and I am backed in.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 06:33 PM   #2

Does it have a generator? If your batteries are below 11.5 volts, many systems wont even engage. (Even your house generator for that matter.) My first action would be to find a portable generator, a battery charger that you can hook directly to the battery terminals, then charge it until you have something closer to 11.8 VDC or higher. Could take several hours. Then close your main switches and see what happens. Good Luck!
samschudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #3

Yes, it does have a generator. But everything is completely dead, the only sign of life is when i turn the ignition key the dash warning lights come on.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #4

I would borrow or go to harbor freight type store and get a small generator and plug it in for a few hours.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #5

One other idea I will throw out. A friend of mine had an intrique that was stone dead when I went out to check on it so I jumped the engine with my wifes car. Once I got the engine running after about 15 minutes I started the gen by holding the boost switch. I needed to have my wife hold the boost switch while I started the gen using the switch on the gen. Once running it charged the batterys so I could shut off the engine.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #6

Since I don't have access to the batteries to jump start it, because the coach is backed into the storage unit. I guess the best option is to go buy a small generator. Since I don't have no power in the storage unit, it would also be nice to have it to charge up the batteries this winter if its too cold to start the engine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could have drained them since I had both main switches in the off position
Old 08-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #7

Dead chassis and house batteries

I've discovered that if the inverter in turned on I have power to the 120 volt side even if the main breaker is off in my 2000 Intrigue.
HeyHarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:12 PM   #8

The main breaker was left on, its the main battery switches that are located in the very back compartment that were turned off. After turning these off in the past I have tried everything in the coach, and nothing would have power to them including the inverter.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #9

Brett, when I wrote "main breaker" I meant the switches in the last bay, sorry for the confusion.
HeyHarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:53 PM   #10

Ok, no worries. I am almost sure in the past when I had these switches off, that everything was dead. Ill be sure once i get her powered up again, to double check it. Thanks for the help
Old 08-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Well good luck in getting the coach going. Hopefully you can just borrow a gen and not have to go buy one.

I would consider a decent solar panel to keep things charged when leaving the unit for extended periods. Some of them produce really decent current now. Also maybe turning that rig around lol

Steph and Eden

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-23-2015, 09:18 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
If your not set on buying a generator, you could always pull the chassis batteries take them to an Autozone or Orielys and get them charged and checkout there

You could look at as daily excercise
Old 08-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Did you measure the voltage on the batteries, I am surprised that chassis and house batteries are all dead. Check the voltage you might have a different problem.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:39 PM   #14

All batteries have an internal leakage current. The amount of current depends on the chemistry and size of the battery. For lead based storage batteries it is fairly large so storage times are typically weeks to a few months before they are discharged. That is why some kind of maintainer is always a good idea.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis, house batteries