Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dehumidifier?

Anyone using a dehumidifier in their coach while stored? While I have electrical service at my storage area, the owner does not want me running the AC unit/s to keep moisture down....he is not charging me extra for access to 50 amp service so I am not complaining.

Thinking of getting a small dehumidifier and putting it in the shower and just let it drain into the shower drain. Anyone done that with success?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I’ve never had to but have heard others do this. You could also place it next to the galley sink if it has a hose on the drain. It would be more effective there.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Anyone using a dehumidifier in their coach while stored? While I have electrical service at my storage area, the owner does not want me running the AC unit/s to keep moisture down....he is not charging me extra for access to 50 amp service so I am not complaining.

Thinking of getting a small dehumidifier and putting it in the shower and just let it drain into the shower drain. Anyone done that with success?
I live in the south. I run the humidifier when its parked all year. Its a 30 pint and does fine for a 39ft MH. It draws 1 amp. I have to dump the tank every day. I am also in and out of it. It can fill up your tank fairly quick depending on how humid it is where you are so keep an eye on it. I don't dump mine into the shower because I don't want to fill the grey tank. Where we usually camp doesn't have full hook ups and hate dumping before going to our spot.

Ive been brainstorming a way to drain through the floor somewhere without cutting an ugly hole. Its not the end of the world for me anyway. I work from home and dump the dehumidifier at lunch.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I dump my tanks before taking the coach to storage. I would let the dehumidifier drain directly into the shower drain and leave the grey water valve open and let it dribble on the gravel below.

The owner of the storage facility stores his coach next to mine. He has a neat dehumidifier that they use in storage units (and he says they are the same used in military tanks) that vents humidity out through a hose. He puts the dehumidifier on the kitchen counter and he has a panel he puts in the kitchen window through which the vent passes. It is very quiet running. He said they cost about $2,500.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I dump my tanks before taking the coach to storage. I would let the dehumidifier drain directly into the shower drain and leave the grey water valve open and let it dribble on the gravel below.

The owner of the storage facility stores his coach next to mine. He has a neat dehumidifier that they use in storage units (and he says they are the same used in military tanks) that vents humidity out through a hose. He puts the dehumidifier on the kitchen counter and he has a panel he puts in the kitchen window through which the vent passes. It is very quiet running. He said they cost about $2,500.
Some of those portable AC on wheels handle the humidity the same way. sends it out the exhaust. I haven't looked into if its the same principle I was just looking at them the other day to run in my office without cooling the whole house.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #6

I live in Oregon, I have a house dehumidifier in my motorhome. The shower idea is good, for myself I go in once a week and look inside and dump my tank. I get roughly a gallon a week out of mine. It never has any smells and the windows never have condensation.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #7

I have used them in the winter when we are done with the motorhome. My first i used a hose and ran a line outside. With my current motorhome i just use the tank and dump it in the sink that way there is no way of overfilling the tanks. most dehumidifiers that are available at box stores have the option of connecting a garden hose and bypassing the tanks. I am in a garage so humidity i would think is lower.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
To drain the dehumidifier, I fished a garden hose underneath the shower stall and down thru the water bay, to dump on the ground... permanently installed.