Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Question Deleted Slide Toppers - OK? Adding Window Awnings?

Hi,

We're looking at a 2008 Magna quad slide, and the original owner had all the slide toppers deleted. Is that a long term issue with stuff accumulating on the slide and messing up the seals when the slides are retracted? The coach has dual patio covers on the curb side, but no patio awnings on the driver side at all. In some ways I like it, as I understand during high winds they flap around, forcing you to bring your slides in (typically during the night in the desert - very inconvenient when sleeping!)

Also, they elected not to order exterior powered window awnings, which we see as a potential problem being in the desert...in the summer. Many times it's too windy to allow a patio awning out, but window awnings have typically been okay. It it possible to have them retro-fitted and the housings painted to match the coach as they would have done if ordered originally? Source? Any idea of price?
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You are right about the flapping noise, but I’d worry more about water intrusion. If you’re mostly in dry areas, you might be able to get away with it, but I’d keep a close eye on the seals. Water leaks are extremely destructive.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I like how the toppers keep the top of the slide mostly dry. If you bring in the slides during or immediately after a rain storm, you're bringing in all that water on top, which will end up on the floor or worse, down the driver's back at the first brake application.

My window awnings are manual, meaning they have the 1" hold down strap. That strap keeps the awning stable in pretty severe winds. I have never brought the window awnings in due to wind. Automatic window awnings might not have that hold down strap, I would think they would be rather vulnerable to high winds.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #4

If you park under trees regularly, the slide toppers are great for keeping branches off the top of the slides. Without them, you will have to keep an eye on them to make sure they stay clear of debris. Pulling in the slides with stuff on top can be quite hard on the seals. They also keep the majority of water off the slides. I personally prefer toppers. Some complain about the toppers flapping. If it is a big storm, I will quite often pull in my slides to protect my toppers. Window awnings are nice in hot weather to shade the window. This helps keep the temps down inside.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Our 09 coach came with the slide toppers but not window awnings. I had the folks at Premier install the ones that should have come with the coach. The painted them to match the coach and wired them is such a way you would never know this was done after.

I am a big fan of slide toppers. Had them on the last three coaches. These tops very much protect the slide roofs and seals. Premier in Junction City could most likely do all of them but I suspect there are others out there as well.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you get into hot country with no slide covers you will soon notice the ceiling on the slides gets hot.

I'd never be without slide covers as they provide shade to the roof of the slide.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:01 PM   #7

You can love your slide toppers for many reasons but thinking that they prevent leaks is a false security. Water gets under the toppers quite easily so if you have a leak find it and fix it. One positive to not having slide toppers is it makes a seal replacement alot easier.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:48 AM   #8

I like having slide out toppers. Only once in our travel trailer days did we retract the slide out due to excessive winds flapping the topper. Otherwise, they do flap a little, but not enough to negate their benefits. But water will still get on the slide out....got a little water down my neck a couple of months ago...such a surprise!!

Our Bay Star doesn't have window awnings, but they are on my wish list for the two windows located on the driver's side of the coach. The window on the door side benefits from the patio awning.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:02 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't go without my toppers. I hated getting up there and cleaning the slides off before retracting. We have been in some pretty windy situations and although there is some flapping it is very minor. It has never bothered me when sleeping and my pillow is directly under one of them.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:53 AM   #10

Agree toppers a must in my book.
In addition to the dirt, water etc don't forget the UV affect on your top seal that is exposed when open. I don't know what it costs to replace slide seals but bet it isn't cheap.
If wind is an issue I'd use one of many ideas for support...named size beach ball, PVC support, etc
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide, window