Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #1

Demon Possessed Entry Step

While driving Iíve been hearing an occasional strange noise from the entry step. Based on someone who saw it happen while I was driving my entry step has been cycling out and in while Iím driving! Now that I know what it is doing itís happening a lot. It seems to be more prevelant on rougher roads. It also doesnít matter whether the inside Step switch is on or off.

Has this happened to anyone here? I know itís probably a wire issue somewhere but Iíd like a clue on where to start looking.

Thanks.
Coach #10984
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I had it recently. We have a switch at the back that is acutuated when the step is retracted. It was loose. tightening the nut fixed the problem.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:15 PM   #3

we had that happen and it turned out to be the wire between the door jam and the door. about 7 wires in that cable.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
The magnetic switch that senses the door opening has a loose wire or the magnet is not lined up correctly. Once you turn on the ignition switch, the steps are energized whether the step switch is on or off.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
we had that happen and it turned out to be the wire between the door jam and the door. about 7 wires in that cable.
Your coach is probably newer with electronic lock? Ours doesnít have anything in the door. Our step is controlled by a push button switch in the fixed door frame.
Coach #10984
Old 02-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The magnetic switch that senses the door opening has a loose wire or the magnet is not lined up correctly. Once you turn on the ignition switch, the steps are energized whether the step switch is on or off.
Any clue where the magnetic switch is physically located?
Coach #10984
Old 02-17-2019, 04:51 AM   #7

My 2000 Magna steps are controlled by a "push button" switch on the hinge side door jam near the bottom. I too had your problem and discovered the nut holding the switch in place was loose and allowed the switch to move into the jam far enough that the door could not close the switch. Tightened the nut and all is well.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:40 AM   #8

Our 04 Allure has the Type 42 steps in it. I found the ground wire needed some attention. As we were seeing intermittent mind of it's own operation.

If it purists unit you get it solved, for travel, get the steps in and then pull the appropriate fuse...

Please close the loop back on what you determine, as it might help others in the future too!

Travel safe, have fun - and watch that first step at 65MPH!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #9

Our 2001 Intrigue was possesed too! It took quite a while to figure out what that noise was, usually when we hit bumps or were in a curve. The push button switch is in the door jam. I tried to adjust the switch and sometimes could get it to stop opening for a while. The last straw was when it opened when in a construction zone and I knocked down a few cones. I replaced the switch with a magnetic one. So far it is good.
Bluefoot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot53 View Post
Our 2001 Intrigue was possesed too! It took quite a while to figure out what that noise was, usually when we hit bumps or were in a curve. The push button switch is in the door jam. I tried to adjust the switch and sometimes could get it to stop opening for a while. The last straw was when it opened when in a construction zone and I knocked down a few cones. I replaced the switch with a magnetic one. So far it is good.
Do you happen to have any info on the magnetic switch you used?
Coach #10984
Old 02-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #11

This is what I used
Kwikee 375385 Switch Kit For Electronic Step - Black.*
Bluefoot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #12

Ours was doing same thing. I kept tightening the push button switch and it was intermittent. Somehow I was under coach in the front and noticed that the ground wire was loose. I re drilled the ground with new screw and she has been back to normal operation.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote