Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Detaching Actuator from Sliding Step Cover

The linear actuator that moves our inside step cover out and back needs fixing.

In the front basement compartment the ceiling mounted actuator appears to penetrate a frame rail before it attaches to the sliding cover somewhere above the nose mounted generator. It cannot be seen in the generator bay.

I am not yet able to pull the retracted cover to the extended position to see if I can access and release the actuator from the cover from the bottom side.

Does anyone have experience with removing their actuator and therefore knowledge of how ours might be attached to the cover?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #2

Well, after some creative handles fastened to the front side of the sliding platform allowed me to extend the slide, I learned nothing.

I found underneath the platform some bracing front and back. The back bracing completely covered the attachment point of the actuator.

This repair has become a challenge.....
Old 02-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #3

Detaching Actuator from Sliding Step Cover

Is your actuator pneumatic or electro-mechanical? Mine is pneumatic and I’ve had to work on it twice to address separate issues. Are there blocks or stops of some kind which prevent extending the step beyond a certain point? Mine has a stop on each side which has to be removed in order to get the step cover to slide out far enough to access the back of the back bracing.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #4

responsford, thanks for your questions.

My actuator is electrical/mechanical.

The step well is 24" long.

The slide cover is about 30" or maybe 36".

I cannot see or touch the back wall of the slide platform from below the platform when it is extended due to a 4" (?) box frame that is constructed at the back edge at the platform and lack of room to reach it. The boxing frame is similar to one constructed at the leading edge of the platform.

There are no stops on the slide rails. Just the entry door frame at the end of the slide path. The sliding platform is wider than the entry door.

The slider stops due to limit switches inside the actuator shaft housing in the driver side front basement compartment.

It appears I will have extend the nose mounted generator slide. Then lay on top of the generator.......if I can. Then remove the ceiling insulation in the generator tunnel to try to find the back wall of the platform and the actuator attachment point.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:11 PM   #5

I can’t imagine that’s how they had to install it originally. I would email Gregg Bootes and ask him. There must be a trick to it. Can the kick be removed from the top step?
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsponsford View Post
I can’t imagine that’s how they had to install it originally. I would email Gregg Bootes and ask him. There must be a trick to it. Can the kick be removed from the top step?
That is too logical. I will have to test the idea!

Tags
cover