Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #1

Different models different insulation values?

We left Catalina State Park near Tucson after a great two week visit. Temperatures dropped to low 30's several nights.

I was approached by a fellow camper, and he asked me if the different models of CC had different insulation values. I at first told him I did not think so, that I thought all CC's, from Tribute up to Affinity, were as well insulted and most of the top coaches. Did point out that usually slides sides/bottoms/tops were the least insulated structures in the coach, so more slides, could mean less insulation. But still, overall I felt that they were well insulated. This gent is planning some extensive ski lodge to ski lodge winter traveling. He plans to Work Camp along the way as a Ski Patrol member.

We talked about other RV'ing things, and changed email addresses too. He is on the hunt to buy a full timing retirement coach sometime in the next year. Not really concerned about age, and has been targeting the Monaco Dynasty/Executive/Signature (And related HR models.), Beaver Patriot/Marquis, Country Coach Allure/Intrigue/Magna/Affinity, Travel Supreme, a few Alpines (As his wife likes the mid entry door.), Foretravel U270/295/320 and I think his last model was Wanderlodge. After we talked, he is going to look into Newmar's Dutch Star/Mountain Tire and up.

I told him I'd look a bit more into the CC's, to see if one model was significantly better insulated then another. And dang if I can find any info on this.

So, anyone have any knowledge on this front? I could call and bother the gang at OMC, or Kevin Waite, as I'd suspect they'd know the answers as they were on the assembly lines. Damon Rapoza would probably know this too.

Any info sharing would be appreciated. Oh, and if you know of another mid to high level DP that has superior insulation, please share this too. (I mentioned Triple E to him, but admitted they did not make many DP.)

TIA, and best to all,
Smitty

(And note that I've never had any complaints about our 04 Allure's insulation. We've stayed comfortably warm with little effort during an 8 day stay along Muncho Lake in Canada, boon docking, with highly temperatures in the teens most night, and a few dipped down to single digits.)
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2017, 09:28 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Stayed in the Cabela's RV park in Sydney, Nebraska a few years ago with -9° and -23° windchill. Our 2003/4 Country Coach Intrigue was toasty warm with hydronic heat. Only issue was fuel gelling when we tried to start the diesel the next morning. Last year we were parked for the night in an open area in Pennsylvania with a -25° windchill. Warm and comfortable, but the domestic waterpump froze up overnight and needed hairdryer to thaw. Obviously we love the insulation in our triple-slide 42ft coach. Lots of other quality items built-in as well. Safe travels.

Jeff Thurston
Old Dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can't say what the absolute R values are but can surely say it is a lot better than our previous coach which was a Winnebago DP.

The foam in the roof is much thicker for sure. I suspect they used the same type of foam in the laminated walls and the limitation is obviously the thickness of the walls. The front cap over the windshield has what looks like residential fiberglass insulation. As noted by Smitty, the least insulation area is the slide floor. Not sure what they put in the floor but with the electric floor heating, we can keep the floors toasty.

The coldest I can remember being in this coach was in a Lowe's lot in 11 or 12F weather with wind. The Aqua Hot ran a lot but we were able to keep warm. I would not want to be in that type of cold for a long period in any coach.

From what I read about Entegra, it seems they are now the gold standard in terms of good insulation in a production coach.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #4

This gent was looking in the 2000 to maybe 2005/6, based upon his budgeted price range. Was more concerned about the care and upkeep of the coach, he said even more so then the interior. (He said after a few years in the submarine service, he'd learn to adapt to what he had!).

Was talking with a couple with a 2002 Magna, and he said he thought the Magna/Affinity had higher insulation values then the Allure/Intrigue in those years. Very possibly so.

I'm going to be calling OMC soon to review some items on our coach, and will ask Jim if he knows about this. Will update what I hear!

But yeah, I'm for sure pleased with how well our coach has handled cold weather...

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had two Dutch Stars which are very well insulated and found the present Magna to be about the same although I do like the heated floors and AquaHot. So far I haven't needed the heat pumps at all.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote