RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #1

Do you remove your stickers?

I am not a fan of stickers on anything! Especially on a nice car or a very nice paint job on a motorhome.

(Although I have seen some funny stickers on cars that make me laugh, like, "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person", or "Everybody believes in something... I believe I will have another beer".

My 06 Intrigue still has a nice clear coat shine, and I don't want it patched up with old stickers.

I have 7 stickers I want to remove. one large one on the back (a Rv dealer), 3 on the front passenger side next to the door (a dealer sticker, RVIA, and the Oregon recreational signature of compliance), and then a few on the driver's side.

The check wheels lugs sticker (are you kidding me?), the warning sticker about the propane tank (Ok, may be I better keep that one), and then the 50 amp sticker on the door opening for the power cord reel, (it its pretty obvious to me that it is a 50 amp ).

How do you carefully take them off, and then the more important question is how do you get rid of the sticker outline and make the old paint blend in with the still new paint underneath the sticker?

Also, just for laughs, what is your favorite bumper sticker?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
I am not a fan of stickers on anything! Especially on a nice car or a very nice paint job on a motorhome.

(Although I have seen some funny stickers on cars that make me laugh, like, "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person", or "Everybody believes in something... I believe I will have another beer".

My 06 Intrigue still has a nice clear coat shine, and I don't want it patched up with old stickers.

I have 7 stickers I want to remove. one large one on the back (a Rv dealer), 3 on the front passenger side next to the door (a dealer sticker, RVIA, and the Oregon recreational signature of compliance), and then a few on the driver's side.

The check wheels lugs sticker (are you kidding me?), the warning sticker about the propane tank (Ok, may be I better keep that one), and then the 50 amp sticker on the door opening for the power cord reel, (it its pretty obvious to me that it is a 50 amp ).

How do you carefully take them off, and then the more important question is how do you get rid of the sticker outline and make the old paint blend in with the still new paint underneath the sticker?

Also, just for laughs, what is your favorite bumper sticker?

For sticker removal, I would try a heat gun, on low, or a hair drier. Take your time to soften the adhesive and peel sticker away. Follow that up with Goof-off or some other solvent to remove remnants of adhesive.

As far as blending, that's a bit more difficult. Since the paint is a two stage, base and clear, you cannot "rub out" the fade of the unexposed areas to blend with the previously covered spots as you will be only polishing the clear coat. You may get some benefit by restoring the luster of the old clear, but if the underlying color has faded, I see no easy solution.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #3

I've also seen good results with small steamer's, same principal of heating things up to loosen the adhesive. And some have said adhesive's can be softened with WD-40 too...

But, very possible you'll see a difference in the paint where the stickers have been... You may still have an outline or darker bit of paint. And if you have micro checking, that area could look too dang clean, and still get the decal outline due to less micro checking!

Good luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:39 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I do not know this for a fact, but I think I have read the RVIA sticker is a must have if you want to sell the rig to a Canadian for import.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #5

Oklahoma Boomers Club
There was a plain, white, and completely blank sticker near the entrance door that I took off, but, truth be known, I did put one on...
This is on the driver's side fuel filler door:https://www.amazon.com/Crawford-Grap.../dp/B01N5XMGCA
Got a couple of laughs. If you can't laugh...
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #6

No specific removal suggestions. But I did like this bumper sticker:

Roses Are Red
Violets Are Blue
I'm Schizophrenic
And So Am I

EdBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:40 PM   #7

So I got two stickers off, one was an Rv dealer sticker, came off easy, and after applying Goo Gone, there was no residue or outline. Then I took off the "Driver check lug nuts sticker".

It peeled right off, but left behind some real fine glue residue. So far, after applying two sessions of Goo Gone, with vigorous rubbing in the very hot sun, the adhesive still holds tight. It is transparent, so really not noticeable until you get up real close.

[Moderator edit]
Old 07-30-2019, 08:57 PM   #8

Unless they are sponsoring me, they are removed. Wd 40, hear gum, unused gift card, well, until I found my 3m wheel... Brand and manufacturer remained as dw would not approve their removal. Some of the single manufacturer letters are cracking, so they will go soon.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:57 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=efstewart;4888900]So I got two stickers off, one was an Rv dealer sticker, came off easy, and after applying Goo Gone, there was no residue or outline. Then I took off the "Driver check lug nuts sticker".

It peeled right off, but left behind some real fine glue residue. So far, after applying two sessions of Goo Gone, with vigorous rubbing in the very hot sun, the adhesive still holds tight. It is transparent, so really not noticeable until you get up real close.

[Moderator edit]

When Goo Gone or Goof-Off doesn't work for me, I'll try Mineral Spirits. Usually works.
akeagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #10

Oklahoma Boomers Club
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:07 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I donít like them either. However, more than once, Iíve tried to remove them only to have a bigger, uglier mess. Then the DW reminds me of the stupid mess I made, ever so often. Iíve learned itís easier to leave them alone.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #12

Years ago I had a friend that removed all his coach stickers. He did a great job removing them and each of them was not damaged. He then put them in a book and kept it with the coach. When asked he would pull the book out and show them off.
2-Nickels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #13

Good idea. would like to know how to replace mine.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:00 PM   #14

[QUOTE=akeagle;4888924]
Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
So I got two stickers off, .....

When Goo Gone or Goof-Off doesn't work for me, I'll try Mineral Spirits. Usually works.
I removed some very large foil stickers from my trailer that were on powdercoat for a few years. Heat and many other items didn't work. I ended up using a 'toffee wheel'. Took them off very cleanly--still had the original un-faded color aspect though. When I used goof-off to remove the residual dust, it dulled the finish quickly and put finish color onto towel. So, using mineral spirits or goof-off or etc, is a last resort.
2007 CC Intrigue 530 Elation #12077
40' quad slide with a tag axle and a 525hp C13
pushed by a 2011 Jeep Rubicon
xtream1 is offline   Reply With Quote