Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #1

Dometic NDR1492 Refrigerator Replacement

While it is still working and between trips, I'm going to replace the cooling unit in my Dometic and because of boondocking will be putting in another gas/AC one. I'm having a hard time distinguishing the difference between new cooling units from JC Refrigeration, Pines RV Refrigeration, Dometic and a rebuilt unit.

Any experience would be appreciated.
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #2

Following!
2002 Country Coach Allure 36 #30752, Double Slide
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #3

Does anyone know anything about the new 12volt refrigerators? My daughter just bought a new travel trailer and it has a 12volt frig. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet myself
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
While it is still working and between trips, I'm going to replace the cooling unit in my Dometic and because of boondocking will be putting in another gas/AC one. I'm having a hard time distinguishing the difference between new cooling units from JC Refrigeration, Pines RV Refrigeration, Dometic and a rebuilt unit.

Any experience would be appreciated.
Fred
I had the Dometic unit in my Coachman rebuilt with a unit from David Force 901-337-9948 Unit was Amish rebuild and came with transferable warranty. I had my local RV Tech install for 3 hrs labor. Worked very good after and I was happy with the outcome. If you current unit still looks nice, it is a viable option. It is possible to DYI, if you are handy with tools but I chickened out. LOL You do need to remove the refrigerator and lay it down on the front to do the swapout.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:38 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
JCRefrigeration has a 12V retrofit cooling unit. That would be my choice.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
Does anyone know anything about the new 12volt refrigerators? My daughter just bought a new travel trailer and it has a 12volt frig. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet myself
I know a person who bought his trailer with a 12v/gas duel source fridge by Norcold. Per him, it's a mini, counter tall.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
I know a person who bought his trailer with a 12v/gas duel source fridge by Norcold. Per him, it's a mini, counter tall.
The daughter's is a full size unit. I need to get by and check it out, they have had it a month now and have not been able to try it out yet because all the camping spots close by are full. We hope to do a family camping trip soon to get it broke in RIGHT LOL. You know you are getting old when you youngest goes out and buys her own 30' travel trailer. That puts the age on you, LOL
Old 07-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
The daughter's is a full size unit. I need to get by and check it out, they have had it a month now and have not been able to try it out yet because all the camping spots close by are full. We hope to do a family camping trip soon to get it broke in RIGHT LOL. You know you are getting old when you youngest goes out and buys her own 30' travel trailer. That puts the age on you, LOL
Yep, we are getting old, can't stop it . Get out and have fun as much as we can!

A full size 12v fridge would be great. With today's technology (probably nothing new), 12v can drive the compressor just as good as 120v, if not better, without the need of investing in a psw inverter (some 120v fridge requires psw).

Back to OP's question, 12v conversion is a viable solution. Either it or a 120v residential fridge will serve you well. Some people including me have gone through the latter path, partly because at the time 12v conversion wasn't available, and happy with the results. Now you have the choices, the tipping points might be the cost and ease of doing. Good luck!
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #9

A few years ago I installed an new Amish built cooling unit, purchased from JC refrigeration. I was very happy with the results. The unit cooled very well in my opinion. We took a trip that included "Lost Wages" in August and the ambient temperature was 105. The frig stayed about 35 with that high ambient. While I had the frig out I did some addition work to get it to perform better. I added sheet foam insulation inside the refrigeration compartment to reduce the heat getting to frig. I also built a "seal" (angle aluminum with rubber riveted to it) to separate the cooling unit, which is pretty hot, from the area around food compartments. I had fans moving cooling air through the cooling unit blowing the hot air out the top vent. I also added an ARP protection device. Doesn't make the unit cool any better, but can prevent damage to the new cooling unit from parking out of level. The ARP allowed me to see the temperature of the boiler unit, which did provide some information about how the unit was functioning. I wish I had that setup in my current RV!!!
1 vote for new Amish cooling unit.
letsride4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:34 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride4 View Post
A few years ago I installed a new Amish-built cooling unit, purchased from JC refrigeration.
Love to see pics of the process! Did you take any by chance?
2003 CC Allure 36’ First Ave. #30914
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:05 PM   #11

John -
Sorry; I did not take any pictures of the process, and no longer own the coach.
letsride4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatesway View Post
Love to see pics of the process! Did you take any by chance?
Here's a detailed video.

https://jc-refrigeration.com/wp-cont...nit-Models.mp4
2002 Country Coach Allure 36 #30752, Double Slide
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:58 AM   #13

Big Job

Well I talked with JC Refrigeration and ordered a replacement AC/Propane cooling unit for our Dometic 1492 two door refrigerator. It's going to arrive tomorrow. I'll probably get going on the remove/install project later this week. Also ordered new heating elements and the cooling fan.

I wonder if I should buy a new control board and install that while I'm at it ?

Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
I wonder if I should buy a new control board and install that while I'm at it ?
I'd do it. Since you're updating everything else and the control boards generally do fail as they get older, I'd want to get that failure point out of the way while I'm working on the unit. I'd probably consider the Dinosaur version since they're less expensive and get good reviews.

Tags
ace, dometic, refrigerator, replace, replacement