Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:10 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Dreaded dash "emergency STOP LIGHT"

I was driving along interstate 40. I had been driving about 100 miles, fairly level terrain near (Russellville Ar) and the dash light "STOP" came on. The bus surged a little. All of the dash instruments were normal. I looked for a place to pull over safely and the light went out (perhaps 30 seconds). Surging stopped, and all was well for the next 100 miles to home. I looked at the silver leaf in hopes of discovering a code only to find it was in one of its weird quasi modes (not off and not quite on). So no information there.
wsmcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #2

Filters would come to mind. Had you filled up recently? And of course the engine ECM may have stored the codes for a mechanic to pull. CAT C9 vs ISL info might help other's with some ideas - which is moving you down the road?

Glad you got home safely, will follow the thread,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #3

Location: 2007 jeep wrangler toad. lifted and locked.US Army Vet 1972-1975 2nd Armored Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmcycle View Post
I was driving along interstate 40. I had been driving about 100 miles, fairly level terrain near (Russellville Ar) and the dash light "STOP" came on. The bus surged a little. All of the dash instruments were normal. I looked for a place to pull over safely and the light went out (perhaps 30 seconds). Surging stopped, and all was well for the next 100 miles to home. I looked at the silver leaf in hopes of discovering a code only to find it was in one of its weird quasi modes (not off and not quite on). So no information there.
I work in a gold mine and drive a Cat 793f.these trucks have a readout for all codes instantly so when something goes wrong it's right there on the screen. When we get a code that appears and goes away it's pretty much just what is called a sensor fault and means that it's a short in a sensor. So if you have a fault say on you engine oil pressure which is a shutdown code and then it clears itself all is well until the next time it shorts out.these will shut down our engine or de-rate the engine until it goes away. This could be what happened imo.
G jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #4

I assume you have a 400ISL; if you are a CAT engine the following partially applies.

A bit of my knowledge to add what has already been said......

Unfortunately the surge/limp mode (albeit temporary) can be caused by many engine parameters out of range. Typically a code will be set in the ECM/ECU. A reader is required to check for codes; I have not pulled codes for my ISL however there should be a log for active and historical codes.

Performing all the routine maintencance - fuel/oil filters, all level checks etc is a good start to eliminate any of those contributing to out of range sensor/switch. As mentioned shorts in sensors/switches or wiring harness/connectors will also cause the ECM to read/act on a false positive. These are sometimes intermittent faults - really difficult to troubleshoot.

One additional consideration - hose/connectors on engine air (filter/turbo/intercooler boots) should also be checked to make sure no leaks.

Having ECM/ECU checked for codes will zero you in on the contributing factor.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of ISL ECM/ECU engine code reading/troubleshooting will chime in.....

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:24 AM   #5

I regret not stating it is a 400ISL Cummins. I changed the fuel filters less than 500 miles ago. I know that doesn't mean they are not the culprit. It does seems illogical to my engineer brain that if it were the filters, the problem would have "relieved" itself.
I read elsewhere that the reason the stop engine light comes on is because of engine overheat. Is there a list of reasons for the stop engine light? Where might i find a list? that would be helpful
Thanks
wsmcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #6

I have had the same thing going on for some time with the stop engine light coming on. Mine was in the oil pressure sending unit coming from the ECM because my dash gauge would read 40psi and the Silverleaf would drop to 0psi then the stop would come on and when it starts to flash it defuels and turns off. The book shows 2 sending units in the oil rail, well I changed the one with 3 wires thinking it went to the ECM well there are 3 senders, changed the wrong sender so I had the same problem. Went to Peterson Cat and showed them the sender and they said that was not a Cat sender got the right sender and fixed the problem. If I did not have the Silverleaf I would still be looking for the problem because the motor did have 40psi but the ECM said 0psi.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #7

On my C-10 Cat we had a few trips where at highway speeds the engine would shut down; Id coast over on to the shoulder; get down below 10mph and then all of a sudden it would start back up and Id pull back out into traffic with full power and it might run fine all day after that. When I got home after the last trip I had a diesel mechanic pull the codes and there were three of them:
-Low water
-Crank positionsensor
-Cam position sensor
I added coolant to the overflow tank and bought new sensors from cat which I installed. It has not acted up since.

But Id check your coolant overflow tank. I doubt it would trigger the stop engine warning, but if the ECM thinks youre low on coolant, it might shut you down?
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, light