Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #29

My family owns a small farm in the mid-west. ULSD has been discussed greatly in agriculture news letters.
Suppliers of diesel fuel are only required to test and document levels of sulfur in the fuel, not the lubricity. Not sure if this requirement has changed over the last few years. But I can tell you that my family adds a lubricant to the bulk fuel they get to run in their older equipment. I run opti- lube in my 400 ISl but I do so at only 1/4 of the recommended dose.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
Hey smitty do you by chance know the model or part number of the fass pump you had installed in your rig? Looks like all have a filter attached and are rated in various gpm.
Here is a cut and paste out of a PM with Don.
-----Copy Start----
This was October 2015:
-FASS Adjustable Fuel Pump 95.5-04 = $459
-Misc parts (Made to order hoses from from pump to/from Lift Pump (Retain the Lift Pump housing on top, but as I understand it, that portion is separate from where the gaskets leak on the LP, so never a long term problem to worry about.). A relay, wiring, etc.) = $190.
------Copy End----

As Don mentioned, I did see the FASS available for a lower price online. (As I was not buying, I did not do due diligence on the companies offering them, and they all included additional shipping.) I had no problem with he costs of parts from Brazel's. Remain very pleased with the quality of components used, and craftsmanship of the install. One other shout out for Brazel's. They also provided the parts, and labor, to install a EGT valve. Some of you may remember that while traveling in Canada this year, the probe worked it's way loose and shot out of the flange bolt tapped int the exhaust manifold. McGivered the capping off of the whistling exhaust leak from this flange bolt. And pulled into Brazel's on our way South. Alan replaced the probe, and this time indented bolt that snugged up the probe, to 'lock' it onto the exhaust flange bolt. (Poor description, and probably not the right names of the parts. But he made it so that it would be highly improbable for the probe to work loose again.) All of this was done cheerfully on their dime. I appreciated this, and frankly did not expect it, as things happen with these kinds of mods. I feel it shows their commitment to backing their work. They've been good people to my wife and I!

And one other comment. When looking for FASS equipment, remember this is just the pump portion. I had a few fellow RV'er's call me with sticker shock on price, and they were looking at the full dual filter FASS setup, which of course is more expensive.

I do feel that source sort of a 'parts kits' from Brazel's, and DIY install, is doable for moderately experience and or handy owners!

And a reminder about my disclaimer about my experience as an enthusiastic coach owner, with my school of hard knocks (University of 'Burn as U Learn!') rounding out... Please be sure to do your own research, and consult with people you feel have the knowledge base to help you with decisions!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
My family owns a small farm in the mid-west. ULSD has been discussed greatly in agriculture news letters.
Suppliers of diesel fuel are only required to test and document levels of sulfur in the fuel, not the lubricity. Not sure if this requirement has changed over the last few years. But I can tell you that my family adds a lubricant to the bulk fuel they get to run in their older equipment. I run opti- lube in my 400 ISl but I do so at only 1/4 of the recommended dose.

Many threads on Pro's/Con's of adding extra lubrication. I too came to the conclusion that running OptiLube was cheap insurance in the overall scheme of 'Cost of RV'ing!'. My main reason was it for sure was not going to hurt anything. And it could make the difference on keeping a CAPS well lubricated and assist the fuel in protecting the unit.

I also run a bottle of Techron in all our gas vehicles, every 6 months. Just what I've always done...

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 12-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #32
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
Hey smitty do you by chance know the model or part number of the fass pump you had installed in your rig? Looks like all have a filter attached and are rated in various gpm.
Roy1
Fass FA D08 095G is the model Brazel's sent me, I believe it's the same one Smitty has.

Bill
Old 12-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #33
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
And glad you won't be spending the Holidays in prison... Who would have ever thought you were a 'Hard core illegal car parker!'
a good one...

don is the president of the hoa and hoa towed a nuthead's car for illegal parking. now he has to explain to the court himself. nice job! .

guys, i have heard many times about opti lube; guess i should step into the ring... where do you buy it? amazon has the gallon jug "XPD Diesel Fuel Improver" for $68 including shipping. is it the right one?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #34

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1481570806.982604.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	146584
Here is what I use.

It calls for 15oz for 60 gals of fuel.
Below 32 degrees it says to double it.

bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #35
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Here is what I use.

It calls for 15oz for 60 gals of fuel.
Below 32 degrees it says to double it.
yep, that is the same one. thanks!
Old 12-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
yep, that is the same one. thanks!

I admit I cheat a little, and I could be a bit of a hypocrite in doing this.

I do have the XL available, as well as other diesel chemical warfare products! But the majority of the time I run Summer Blend, doubling the dosage, as I find that on longer trips, 2 gallons will cover my needs for that trip. (Good example, 6 months of travel this year, just over 8K miles. I still have just under a half of the second gallon.

This was after talking with a fellow XPD Opti-Lube user, that had talked with his source. This gent told him that he felt that by doubling the Summer Blend, that the lubricity level improved to just a bit lower then say the Purple XL, but had the bonus of the Cetane.

Going into the third year of this process of Summer Blend as my primary (Double dosage.), and recent Oil Analysis are looking good!

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 12-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #37

Smitty,

Do you have any specs/size, fitting size on the fuel hose? I want to tackle this project too, I just want to make sure that I can get the hose here in the Portland area before I commit to the FASS pump system.

BTW, I was looking through my RV manuals and found an old business card of yours. You probably have hundreds but If you want it I'll send it to you
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #38
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I do have the XL available, as well as other diesel chemical warfare products! But the majority of the time I run Summer Blend, doubling the dosage, as I find that on longer trips, 2 gallons will cover my needs for that trip. (Good example, 6 months of travel this year, just over 8K miles. I still have just under a half of the second gallon.
good to know the variety of the applications... from amazon users' comments, it does appear to be standing out of the crowd. weird thing is no auto parts store carries it...
Old 12-12-2016, 11:58 PM   #39

Thanks bill & smitty. I'll tackle this job next spring when I get back home along with a fuel pressure gage,EGT gage and boost gage.
Roy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:05 AM   #40

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
Roy1
Fass FA D08 095G is the model Brazel's sent me, I believe it's the same one Smitty has.

Bill
Bill, that is the same part number I have on my coach as well

Fass FA D08 95G
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:10 AM   #41

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
good to know the variety of the applications... from amazon users' comments, it does appear to be standing out of the crowd. weird thing is no auto parts store carries it...
John, my coach is plumbed with -10 Hydraulic hose or 5/8" (its listed both ways for sale). Photo attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2770.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	146624  
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post
John, my coach is plumbed with -10 Hydraulic hose or 5/8" (its listed both ways for sale). Photo attached
Yep, after we picked the location to install the FASS, Alan measured the lengths needed, and had a local shop make the Hydraulic hoses for our application. One of the key things he did, and I've added a bit more myself later, is make sure the hoses are not vibrating against anything that can cause chaffing. (I added an outer sleeve at one point with zip ties to hold it place, as extra protection.)

As each installation point of the FASS could be different, it really is a coach by coach process.

Alan recommended, and I think it was a good idea, to leave the existing lines to the Lift Pump available. He capped those off. This way if I ever need to, I could re-plumb the lift pump to OEM, reattach electrical, and hopefully use it in an emergency if the FASS every has a problem....

Best to all,
Smitty

Tags
leak