Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 03:23 AM   #1

Drilling a hole through the floor

I am in the process of installing a laminate floor in the living room area of my 2002 Affinity. Since all the furniture is out, I decided to also fix the front passenger window as the inside sealant was pulling into the window like a snake. To get to it ment pulling out the large wood column next to the passenger seat. Long story short this now allowes me to rout an HDMI cable from the AV cabinet down to the floor and I can run it under the wall next to the new flooring. I have an outdoor tv in the 1st bay, and need to drill a hole through the floor right next to/under the wall to get to the bay. How thick is the floor I am drilling through, and is there anything in/under there I need to be concerned about? If I’m going to do this, now is the time. I use wireless HDMI now, that works well, but has a time lag between the inside and outside tv, so the audio between the 2 TVs are never in sink when both are on. This of course drives me crazy. If anyone has done anything like this, your wisdom is appreciated.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
MarylandRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 04:07 AM   #2

Carolina Campers
I have drilled through floors, but always being able to see what is on the other side. Also, need to know if any electrical cables could possibly be running through channels on floor.

As to the sound not being synchronized dependent on the amplifier and preamplifier as well as the source, you may find even with HDMI cable there will be a slight delay. Even 20 ms will be noticeable so you may wish to hook up everything before cutting, drilling, etc. to be certain your expectations are met. You may find certain a/v processors can delay the signal to one a/v device so as to get them all in synch. Sound out of synch or picture/audio not synced drives me more crazy than I already am....LOL
Past RV's: Three Airstreams, 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
I have drilled through floors, but always being able to see what is on the other side. Also, need to know if any electrical cables could possibly be running through channels on floor.

As to the sound not being synchronized dependent on the amplifier and preamplifier as well as the source, you may find even with HDMI cable there will be a slight delay. Even 20 ms will be noticeable so you may wish to hook up everything before cutting, drilling, etc. to be certain your expectations are met. You may find certain a/v processors can delay the signal to one a/v device so as to get them all in synch. Sound out of synch or picture/audio not synced drives me more crazy than I already am....LOL

Thanks, but the latency is 100% caused by the wirless HDMI. It basically turns HDMI into a radio frequency on the 2.4 MHz band like a WiFi router, then back to HDMI. All this causes a delay. This is not a lip sink issue, it is 1 tv playing the program back a second or so later then the other tv. A real HDMI cable will solve this problem.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
Old 11-23-2020, 08:33 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I drilled through the floor in the bedroom. The plywood and insulation are about 3" thick. There is in my coach 3/4" plywood, 2 ' of insulation and 1/2' plywood on bottom. When I drilled right next to the wall I hit the frame tubing. I came out from the wall and got into the wheel well where I was aiming. No wires. Around that post next to passenger seat there are a lot of wires an I'm sure you can see most of them if you have the cover off.
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Interesting topic. Our bedroom TV does not synch with the front TV, although they are getting the signals from the same OTA antenna. I believe the micro processors and electronic components inside the TVs play a role.

If you stand in front of your external TV, the sound waves from your internal TV take time to travel to your ears, that contributes to the latency too.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Intetesting topic. Our bedroom TV does not synch with the front TV, although they are getting the signals from the same OTA antenna. I believe the micro processors and electronic components inside the TVs play a role.

If you stand in front of your external TV, the sound waves from your internal TV take time to travel to your ears, that contributes to the latency too.
I agree, but the human ear can not start hearing the difference until you are 30’ to 40’ apart. In this case I can stand on the outside of the coach and watch both inside and outside tv, and you are not seeing or hearing the same thing at the same time. I happen to own an AV company, and we start implementing digital delay to time align speakers at about 50’+. 30’ to 50’ is a little muddy, but not a true delay to the ears.

You are correct the internal tuners in the tv may also create a delay. But using an HDMI cable to multiple TVs with the same source, this effect should be negligible to nil.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #7

I would assume you have proved your fix will work with a test hdmi connection already.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I would assume you have proved your fix will work with a test hdmi connection already.
Tonight I will test, it took all weekend to get all the carpet and Funiture out, post remove window removed and closed up, staples pulled. The suround for the drivers seat must have taken 2-3 hour. They built it on top of the carpet. My coach looks like something out of an RV junkyard inside right now. All this better be worth it
Old 11-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandRich View Post
I agree, but the human ear can not start hearing the difference until you are 30’ to 40’ apart. In this case I can stand on the outside of the coach and watch both inside and outside tv, and you are not seeing or hearing the same thing at the same time. I happen to own an AV company, and we start implementing digital delay to time align speakers at about 50’+. 30’ to 50’ is a little muddy, but not a true delay to the ears.

You are correct the internal tuners in the tv may also create a delay. But using an HDMI cable to multiple TVs with the same source, this effect should be negligible to nil.
Not necessarily true. I have two new Samsung TV's operating off the same signal source and HDMI cables and still have a significant sound lag. One is a series 6500 (UHD) and the other a 5500 series (LED). I've been able to eliminate some, but not all, of the lag by changing settings on the TV's. Verify before your setup before making holes!
Old 11-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #10

Sorry for the delay, with the holiday it took me a bit longer to do the test. Yes it makes a huge difference. Maybe not exactly in sink, but way way closer.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #11

Simple solution...

Do same hardware for both units.

Tags
floor