Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Dynamax vs. Foretravel

Been looking a lot at motor homes, maybe too much. Can you give me a description of the dynomax chassis? Does this chassis use air bag leveling or leveling jacks? Any comparisons to the Foretravel chassis? Also, when was the dynomax chassis built? I saw a 2001 Magna listed with a Freightliner chassis.

Looking at Magna and Affinity coach's in the $100-$150,000 price category. Would appreciate any advice as to year models to avoid or seek.

Thanks,
Tammy
P7rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
The Dynamax chassis is Country Coach's proprietary chassis. It replaced the prior use of the Gillig Bus chassis in about 1997 when Gillig (Hayward, Ca) exited the MH market.

I have been told that the Dynamax has its origin in the Gillig chassis but do not know that to be a fact.

Magna and Affinity coaches have air bag suspension and air leveling. To my knowledge there were no such coaches built on a truck chassis.

We have enjoyed our rig for nine years and 47,000 miles. It is well built and has good road manners.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #3

I have seen that advertisement for the Magna on a freightliner chasis. It is obvious that the dealer or person putting the ad on line doesn't know what they are talking about. Remember, many of the dealers just have a quick check in form, and if they don't know the answer they make it up. You can't trust the on line information until you inspect the unit yourself.
Herbie801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #4

We have a 2000 Magna with a dynamax chassis, our previous was a 94' Allegro Bay DP and it was a good solid unit but it could not hold a candle to he quality or ride of this one.
patty98311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
More Questions??

Are the non-tag Magna's also on a Dynomax chassis?

Are there over weight issues on any on the Magna's? I have noticed the non-tag coach's have a single slide in the kitchen which I assume reduces any weight issues on the coach.

What kind of fuel mileage do the Cat's achieve with 60-65 MPH?

Any particular issues to ask about on the Magna's? Any recall years?

Finally, the 2000 - 2003 seem to be in striking distance of our budget. Any leads on clean coach's for sale?

Thank you for your replies!

Steve and Tammy
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #6

One in Fresno

There is one in Fresno listed at 149K, www.fresnobee.com, been there a week or 2, could wiggle down maybe.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #7

As far as I know all of the chassis produced during this period were Dynamax chassis, the only exception whould be the Provost CC.
patty98311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #8

The correct chassis for the Country Coach line is either a Gillig for the earlier years and the Dynomax, not dynamax for the later years.

There has never been a Magna or Affinity built on a Freightliner, in fact no CC has ever been built on one.

Most CC's level with air bags. In the later years, the two lower end coaches used jacks.

There are no over weight issues on any CC unless you, the owner, cause it.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Foretravels are hard to beat and have a very loyal following. Every time we see a used Foretravel it has a lot of miles on it so the owners use them to travel.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Check the classifieds.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Dynomax

Sorry about misspelling Dynomax.

Anyone have an opinion or knowledge about the 2001 Magna at PPL in Houston?
2001 Country Coach Magna M385HP for Sale - D714

Thanks and BTW I talked with PPL today and had quite an argument about whether there is a Freightliner chassis under the coach.

Thank you for your replies.

Anyone know why CC stopped the IFS after 2001?

Steve and Tammy
Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by P7rancher View Post
Sorry about misspelling Dynomax.

Anyone have an opinion or knowledge about the 2001 Magna at PPL in Houston?
2001 Country Coach Magna M385HP for Sale - D714

Thanks and BTW I talked with PPL today and had quite an argument about whether there is a Freightliner chassis under the coach.

Thank you for your replies.

Anyone know why CC stopped the IFS after 2001?

Steve and Tammy
2001 is about when CC went to the IFS on everything they built, maybe a year earlier.

You are getting some bum dope from the dealer about the Freightliner chassis, trust me.

Ok, after looking at the coach, a few comments.

The coach has a Silverleaf engine monitoring system, a $2600 option.

It has a Smart Tire system however it is the old system and it is obsolete and not supported anymore.

It has the Panasonic 707 system which has the backup monitor and some of the audio functions. I have this and it works fine.

It has the leaded glass inserts in the cabinet doors, another option.

The listing says exhaust brake but I think that Cat motor came with an engine brake (in head valve system) which is good.

The listing says levelers, I think the coach was standard with air leveling. It is possible that the owners had jacks installed however I doubt it.

What did bother me is that the coach did not look level in the pix. This could be because of bad photos or unlevel ground, I don't know.

What I know is that owners of CC's take pride in their coaches. The interior of this coach looks very good however pictures can't let me smell the interior. No matter what is done, you can always tell a smoked in coach or one with pets that have P'ed in it.

Another look shows a automatic Girrard awning which is a $5000 option, that's good.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #13

If this rig fit my floorplan needs and price range, I would take the time to physically inspect it.

There is no Freightliner chassis under this rig. It will have air leveling (that is great).

This may be a pricing opportunity because the seller and the lot operator do not fully know the features of this rig. I assume this is a consignment rig.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Another question

Anyone have knowledge of this coach? What is a Prevost front suspension as listed in the description? Coach is priced way above what I am seeing as market. Am I missing something?

Again, thank you for your help.

Steve and Tammy

P.S. We really appreciate the phone calls from CC owners, very helpful and good folks.