Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2018, 09:23 AM   #1

Echo charger

Yesterday I found the chassis batteries dead and spent a day messing with it only to find the echo charger wired wrong.

Second problem was the house float voltage too low to trigger the green light.

Now this morning I’m reading old posts from 2011 talking about all the same problems!

Dan
Captain Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #2

Echo charger

I had the same problem. Replaced the house batteries and found out the Echo was hooked up wrong. Redid the hookup and when the house batteries reached the right voltage the chassis batteries started to charge and all is well.
Busyguy
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
How is it wired wrong? There are only three wires and one's a ground.... Red from house battery and red striped to chassis on the Xantrex. Were they backwards?

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
How is it wired wrong? There are only three wires and one's a ground.... Red from house battery and red striped to chassis on the Xantrex. Were they backwards?

Brian
X2, I installed one of these for a neighbor and unless a person was brain dead, I'm not sure how it could be hooked up wrong.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:32 PM   #5

My starting/chassis batteries kept being dead. I found the Echo stopped working. I agree w above that an Echo can't be installed wrong because you would have noticed hard starting after being on shore power a while.

FYI for noobees reading this learning electrical on a MH: Chassis batteries only get charged when the engine's alternator is running (or a stand-alone charger is hooked up). Since a motorhome can't tolerate starting batteries' not being ready to go, a battery combiner must be added, here, a Xantrex Echo. Normally, the combiner's circuit is open (no current flowing). When the combiner senses the chassis batteries' voltage is below a certain number (usually 11V) it closes the circuit allowing the coach/house batteries to charge the chassis batteries. When their voltage reaches a pre-set number (usually 12.5V or 13.0V) the circuit opens, isolating the 2 systems again. The reason this works without making the coach batteries get too low is the coach is normally plugged into shore power or the generator is running to keep the coach batteries up. The 120V current (from either source) comes in, passes thru the surge protector, passes thru the automatic switchover, and goes to the inverter. The inverter then either passes the current on to the coach's 120V house system or to the inverter' built-in charger, thus charging the coach batteries. As they are drained, if the coach batteries need help, as when they are combined to the chassis batteries via the Echo, the charger in the inverter will kick in then, too. The Echo circuit also opens when the engine starts and the alternator is putting out, usually, 14V. Chassis batteries can also be charged for a very short time with the motorhome's "start assist." (See your manual.)

After learning how the Echo works and testing it, I took steps to buy another. During this research, I found many sources recommended upgrading to a better combiner with more capable and beefier designs. Of these, I chose the Magnum MK-SBC, partially because I'm about to replace my electrical system with Magnum equipment.

However, the magnum combiner is wired differently. So, I took this opportunity to figure out what Country Coach had done overall. A combiner must be connected ultimately to the Pos of both chassis and coach batteries (and a joint Neg like the frame). CC did this to the coach batteries running the current thru several relays, connection blocks, and big wires. I think they did so they put the Echo in the chassis battery compartment. I suspect they viewed the coach battery compartment as being too dirty; I don't know. I saw no reason to repeat this complex method of transmitting voltage between batteries.

Instead, I installed my Magnum smart combiner on the rear bulkhead of my coach's battery bay. I ran an 8AWG and a 10AWG (the sensor wire) from the combiner to that bay's Pos per Magnum's manual. I ran another 8AWG and a 10AWG from the combiner back to the Pos in the chassis battery Bay. I ran the combiner's Neg line to the frame in the coach bay. I was able to make this run by drilling holes in the mentioned bulkhead, running through the wiring chase over the Aqua Hot, drilling holes in the front of the wheel well and through the rear wheel well, and on to the chassis batteries. I covered the cables with split loom and used strain reliefs at the bare metal holes.

If you choose to replace your Echo, it's just a plug and play install.

I plan to insert a volt meter in the 8AWG line from the coach batteries just prior to its connection to the chassis Pos. It will let me know, when onn shore power for a long time, whether the combiner is, at least, trying to charge the chassis.
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #6

Echo charger

I should have said the charger was not properly grounded , instead of hooked up wrong. The ground was not a good ground. Cleaned and regrounded and all is well.
Sometimes we all go a little brain dead when doing something simple.
Busyguy
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger