Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 04:14 AM   #1

Eclipse XL Awning

I am in the process of replacing my awning fabric.
My question is, does anyone know the exact measure (OEM)from the alumiguard to the roller tube? Mine has stretched I'm sure,seems to have a little slack when fully deployed.
I am ordering from Stonevos, and wanted to feel safe about the proper measurement.
thanks, marvin
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Marvin, when I got my slide toppers from Chris, he gave me specific instructions how to measure. I would call him and see what he suggests.

Our awning fabric also looks like it has stretched. When I deploy the awning, it rolls fully out which leaves it baggy. However, it immediately rolls back just enough to tighten the fabric. Don't know if it is programmed to do that or prior owner had it adjusted to take out the slack.

This is our first automatic awning.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #3

thanks, Chris told me to mea sure to the center of the roller, but I kinda wanted to verify actual awning fabric just to be on the safe side, you know measure twice, cut once.
my awning rolls back also, but seems to be tight in the middle and a little slack on the ends.
I don't know what makes the motor roll up the slack., mine seems to be rolling a little too far back, my valance is in the center of the roller looking straight up.
was thinking of shorting the awning fabric by about an inch?
Old 10-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
When mine rolls back, the slot with the valence is facing the coach and the valence is hanging down but not the full length of it. My fabric is also more loose at both ends than in the middle of the roller.

When I get to the point of needed new fabric, I hope to find a good shop to replace it (will get it from Chris) and adjust the thing.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:09 AM   #5

If you could measure from the alumiguard bead to the bottom bead before the valance it would give me some idea whether to shorten the fabric a little. mine measures 103 " give or take a fraction. , I think mine has stretched a fraction.
I think the pressure on the motor is what makes it roll back the slack, or lack of, and also stops when rolled up.
I will call carefree and see what I can find out too. I think the length of the fabric plays a big roll in the way the awning works.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:19 AM   #6

more thoughts, the slope angle (setting ) may also play a role in how much roll back ,slack to take up in the fabric. I have mine in the 3rd hole, just enough to clear the top of the slide.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:15 AM   #7

Just for information purposes, Carefree does still have the "Eclipse XL" awning replacement fabric.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
Just for information purposes, Carefree does still have the "Eclipse XL" awning replacement fabric.
Stone Vos' fabric will be more heavy and double stitched at all seams. Curious if Carefree was able to provide the OEM fabric measurements.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #9

I did not get the OEM measurement, that was what I called about, but was assured that they still carry the replacement fabric for the XL, I would like to know before I order, if I order from Stonevos.
anybody know .
Old 11-18-2015, 05:55 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Hello:

I am sorry for being late in posting. If you have the model number then we can run that number through our database and it will tell us the color, length and depth of the fabric.

Because Eclipse awnings all have standard depths, we can tell if a measurement is not right. The lengths are always the same as well. OEM fabric, because it is of poor quality tends to stretch in one direction and shrink in the other so measurements can vary. For the most part there is little variations in Eclipse assembly measurements.

This is NOT true when it comes to slide toppers. There are variations on identical slides and on identical coaches. It is according to how long the employee at Carefree cut the roller tube cover.

Carefree is notorious for being off on model number measurements as well. We have processed two orders for two separate customers and their model numbers when we ran them showed the Carefree measurement was off by 4 inches on one and 14 inches on another. The color codes can also be off.

I know we tend to get OCD and demanding on measurements at Stone Vos but our customers pay alot of money for fabric replacements and we want to deliver a perfect fitting fabric replacement every time that is a direct color match to their other awnings.

If any of you ever have questions, please give me a call. I continually assist IRV2 members with technical support and I enjoy being able to assist other RV'ers.

Chris T
352-942-0224
Chris T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #11

After using Sunbrella brand material in my boats and my now 13 year old RV I will not use any other fabric. At 13 years old our fabrics red color still matches our paint and is in good condition. I had the same experience with Sunbrella on our sailboat.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:25 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Bob:

Sunbrella was the gold standard of acrylic fabric. It was the best you could get and they had the American market cornered. Then in 2004 they changed their formula to make production less costly. A couple years ago they began outsourcing their fiber mixing to China and from there Sunbrella went down hill. The Sunbrella you are used to and the Sunbrella you get today is not the same.

I did the fabric replacement on a 1992 Monaco coach last year. It had the original sunbrella and it was still in good shape. I have done slide toppers on coaches that had 4 year old Sunbrella on Garard assemblies and it looked terrible and was leaking like a sieve.

Alot of the premier marine fabricators have gone to european acrylic fabrics because of warranty problems with Sunbrella ( mainly stretching and leakage ). Carefree even dropped Sunbrella and we refuse to use it because of our warranty. Providing the longest warranty in the business ( 4 years on workmanship ) we have to make sure what we use is the very best or we will go bankrupt.

I will agree, the Sunbrella from yesteryear was the very best. Once China got involved in the manufacturing process it started going down hill. If you replace any fabric on your boat I would recommend Sattler. It is the # 1 acrylic in the world and is made in Austria using premium turkish fibers. It also has a 10 year warranty. It is weaved differently as well and has zero stretch and shrinkage capabilities. It is also a thicker fabric as well.

Chris T
Old 11-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #13

Chris T - Thanks for the information. I have not had to buy any replacement Sunbrella since 2003 so I have the old stuff. Too bad they have not kept up their quality. Likely they have not lowered their prices to match the quality decline.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:10 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Bob:

They raised their prices actually. I have several friends who are Marine fabricators and they have abandoned Sunbrella. Too many warranty claims and problems. They do alot of yachts and cannot risk their reputation so are using Sattler and Recacril. Sattler is made in AUstria and Recacril is made in Barcelona, Spain.

If you have any work done on your boat let me know. I can help you spec out the job for you and then you can give my recommendations to your marine person. I help spec out jobs for people all the time so it is no biggie. I recently just spec'ed out a job for an engineering firm for a Marine Corp's sentry station at Gitmo.

I am always available to help our members here.

Chris T

Tags
awning