Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2021, 07:51 AM   #1

Emergency Exit Window Stuck

I have a Emergency exit window with a hinge that allows the window to be pushed out at the bottom but the latching assembly is stuck. The red handle on the right side pulls a cable that slides spring loaded latches at the bottom of the frame. All this is hidden inside the frame.

Has anyone found a way to unstick this assembly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211022_123615.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	346929  
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #2

A good hard kick if I had.to get out that way

On the other hand no we have sliding windows on ours

Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
I have a Emergency exit window with a hinge that allows the window to be pushed out at the bottom but the latching assembly is stuck. The red handle on the right side pulls a cable that slides spring loaded latches at the bottom of the frame. All this is hidden inside the frame.

Disclaimer, I have not seen that type of release mechanism before so I am basing everything on your description of how it's supposed to work.

Question, is there any movement at the handle at all? Can you rotate it a bit but then cannot go any further? If so, the main problem may be at the latches you mention, located along the bottom. You might try a rubber mallet and give some decent "smacks" along the bottom of the frame and see if that works something loose. Might take several tests to see how much force you want to use.

Another tack may be to find out the manufacturer of the safety system, and try to find a diagram of the mechanism. It seems there should be a "fail-safe" method to open an emergency window that doesn't rely on a mechanism that can freeze or bind.

See if you can remove the red handle and pull it out away from the frame a bit. Then try spraying lubricant down along the cable as the bind may be at the corner. Have you removed the rubber cover at the bottom corner to see if there is anything under it that is related to the mechanism?

Finally, try removing the inner frame trim which, I believe simply unscrews. You may have to remove your window valance, but it's hard to tell. With the trim removed, you may have access to the mechanism you describe.

Good luck, and keep us updated, please.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:49 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
I would be concerned that if the mechanism is stuck, that once you do get the emergency exit window open you may find that you cannot close it again and latch it down nice and snug without some repair work to the latch and mechanism.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I would be concerned that if the mechanism is stuck, that once you do get the emergency exit window open you may find that you cannot close it again and latch it down nice and snug without some repair work to the latch and mechanism.
Good call
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:10 PM   #6

Yes, there is a risk that he will be unable to re secure the window, but there is also the risk that there is no escape route in an emergency. Which risk is greater and which risk is more likely to happen?

I don’t have the answer, but if the mechanism can be freed and cannot be latched again, he can always install surface mount safety latches along the bottom like many other coaches have. He will then know he has a functioning emergency escape window.

If he can’t free the latch, he knows he has a potential death trap, especially if the window is in the bedroom, and something should be done. If the manufacturer can be identified, contacting them may shed light on an emergency procedure, like a strong kick will open the spring latches in case of a cable failure.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:13 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Yes, there is a risk that he will be unable to re secure the window, but there is also the risk that there is no escape route in an emergency. Which risk is greater and which risk is more likely to happen?

I don’t have the answer, but if the mechanism can be freed and cannot be latched again, he can always install surface mount safety latches along the bottom like many other coaches have. He will then know he has a functioning emergency escape window.

If he can’t free the latch, he knows he has a potential death trap, especially if the window is in the bedroom, and something should be done. If the manufacturer can be identified, contacting them may shed light on an emergency procedure, like a strong kick will open the spring latches in case of a cable failure.
I certainly agree with being safe and in fact a big proponent of safety.

What I would do for the short term is to likely purchase a 5lb fire extinguisher and mount it below the window (or close), that way I have it close by if needed and with it being larger than the standard extinguisher then I could also use the extinguisher to break out the window if needed and rake the edges or the window frame clean and then make me and mine fast escape.

I would be very hesitant to use much force until I knew more about what is not working right and I likely wouldn't do anything until I was sure I had a lot of time for the window repair in case a needed part is out of stock, like so many things are now.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I certainly agree with being safe and in fact a big proponent of safety.

What I would do for the short term is to likely purchase a 5lb fire extinguisher and mount it below the window (or close), that way I have it close by if needed and with it being larger than the standard extinguisher then I could also use the extinguisher to break out the window if needed and rake the edges or the window frame clean and then make me and mine fast escape.

I would be very hesitant to use much force until I knew more about what is not working right and I likely wouldn't do anything until I was sure I had a lot of time for the window repair in case a needed part is out of stock, like so many things are now.
Yep, (bold). We are really all on the same page with this.

I cannot imagine the manufacturer would build a complex emergency escape latch system that could not be overridden in case of mechanical failure.
OP, please keep us updated on your progress.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would call the window manufacture for assistance. I'm sure it will not be the first call they received about that model. Normaly you can find the window manufacture on the glass or hardware.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post

I opened mine a few years ago and the window stays really snug. It dosnt just unlatch and open. I replaced all the parts and it took several weeks to get the parts. Once replaced in order to close the window it took a slam that approached concern with breakage to get it closed and latched. What i discovered was that in an emergency one would pull the latch then kick the window open. I am not so sure the latch would even need to be pulled to open the window.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
I opened mine a few years ago and the window stays really snug. It dosnt just unlatch and open. I replaced all the parts and it took several weeks to get the parts. Once replaced in order to close the window it took a slam that approached concern with breakage to get it closed and latched. What i discovered was that in an emergency one would pull the latch then kick the window open. I am not so sure the latch would even need to be pulled to open the window.
This is an excellent post from someone with the same mechanism (I assume.)

It was never mentioned in the op how it was determined that the latch mechanism was stuck. I, and others, assumed the latch did not work because of how the op worded his post, but he never actually said that he tried to rotate the latch and it (the latch mechanism) was stuck, only that the window failed to open. My emergency windows with surface latches takes a considerable force to open, if has sat for many, many months.

OP, can you clear up this question? Is it possible the window is unlatched but simply stuck against the seal?

And to IASM, do you have the same system? If so, is it obvious if the latch is working even if the window hasn’t been opened?
Old 10-25-2021, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
This is an excellent post from someone with the same mechanism (I assume.)

It was never mentioned in the op how it was determined that the latch mechanism was stuck. I, and others, assumed the latch did not work because of how the op worded his post, but he never actually said that he tried to rotate the latch and it (the latch mechanism) was stuck, only that the window failed to open. My emergency windows with surface latches takes a considerable force to open, if has sat for many, many months.

OP, can you clear up this question? Is it possible the window is unlatched but simply stuck against the seal?

And to IASM, do you have the same system? If so, is it obvious if the latch is working even if the window hasn’t been opened?
Its not really a latch that obviously releases. There are a couple of spring steel clips on the bottom track that catch the window when closed.I had trouble getting it to latch as mentioned. When the cable is pulled by the lever a couple of blocks move to give more clearance but the window is still held by the latch. I bought an extra kit so i will take a picture and post for reference.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
Its not really a latch that obviously releases. There are a couple of spring steel clips on the bottom track that catch the window when closed.I had trouble getting it to latch as mentioned. When the cable is pulled by the lever a couple of blocks move to give more clearance but the window is still held by the latch. I bought an extra kit so i will take a picture and post for reference.
Thanks, I think a picture will help anyone who is not familiar with that latching mechanism.

From what you describe, is it correct to assume that if the handle/cable mechanism is working, the "blocks" will be moved out of the way and that will be easily seen?

Further, the window is held by steel spring clips that are also seen?

What I'm trying to visualize is that the window will still be held by the clips if the handle/cable/block system is working, and the OP may be facing simply a "stuck" window frame seal that will require a solid "jolt" to break away and swing out. Basically, the handle and cables are to provide a lock to prevent accidental release of the window from the clips by having the blocks in the way.

Tags
wind, window