Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2021, 03:07 PM   #29

time for a welding shop
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
My engine oil pan on my 36 intrigue (2002) hangs down and is the lowest point back of the axle.

It is completely beat up from hitting the ground...
This is not good!

Anyone have any sort of solution for this?
I was thinking of a skid plate of sorts, but maybe someone has a better solution???
I would pay better attention to where I am driving. My 05 Endeavor 40DST ISL400 pan does not have a mark on it. Yes, I do boondock in the desert and I pull a 20' trailer with my Rubicon on it.
Savage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:51 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Definitely a design flaw. Check with the manufacturer to see if they have a solution. Look at newer versions. I had a small pickup that a rock knocked a hole in the pan on. It dumped all the oil quick. Could have burned up the engine.
phil8656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8656 View Post
Definitely a design flaw. Check with the manufacturer to see if they have a solution.
Good luck with that they are long gone.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:16 AM   #33

Geez, buddy, I feel for you!

One point in our Requirements Statement is ground clearance.

For the remote forests and Baja beaches we prefer, we went with a 1997 Ford CF8000 commercial truck for converting to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
I just came in from taping under our rig, and our ground clearance is sixteen inches (16"), but the dips sit six inches (6") higher.

If you are banging parts on the routes/places you prefer -- and are concerned about getting stranded with a 'heart-attack' level repair fee -- perhaps a different rig?
Traveling is supposed to be fun...
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:31 AM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
time for a welding shop
This is my plan. Probably weld it myself.

At the same time I can incorporate stiffener gussets going to the hitch receiver. It will make the whole system stronger
journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:27 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might look into air shocks that can be adjusted from inside. That way you can raise it up when needed and let it back down to normal while cruising on good pavement. They do make them for smaller vehicles.
phil8656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8656 View Post
You might look into air shocks that can be adjusted from inside. That way you can raise it up when needed and let it back down to normal while cruising on good pavement. They do make them for smaller vehicles.
Country Coaches have air leveling and can be raised.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
I just bought the coach in July of this year.
The previous owner had Cummins replace the pan in 2018.
Unfortunately I do not have a close up of the damage, but it is pretty wrinkly!

I have just been on the highway so far, but I plan to drive a lot on dirt and gravel roads. I am a desert guy.
Dirt roads? You won't believe the amount of dust your side radiator diesel pusher will kick up, it will fill up your battery compartment and air filter, I live 3 miles down a gravel road, don't leave or come home till right after it rains... fan blows dust out in front of rear wheels it's crazy
dmarrs8585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:30 AM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarrs8585 View Post
Dirt roads? You won't believe the amount of dust your side radiator diesel pusher will kick up, it will fill up your battery compartment and air filter, I live 3 miles down a gravel road, don't leave or come home till right after it rains... fan blows dust out in front of rear wheels it's crazy

That makes sense.
Actually, it would make a lot of sense to have a "fan disable" switch for shorter jaunts on dirt/dusty roads. I wonder if that is even possible?
journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:45 PM   #39

Hydraulic fan, not saying it can't be done just looked too complicated for me, I fold a terry cloth towel over the air intake and remove it when I get to the road. Doesn't help the well ventilated battery compartment with all the electrical connections or the toad. Good luck
dmarrs8585 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine