Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Engine room heat

Howdy All,
My old coach just it back from OR last month. I have noticed some CC's have a vent at the rear of the coach to exit the heat. Mine does not have a rear vent and when you open the hatch a blast of heat comes out blasting you in the face.
I am thinking that a vent is needed for the extreme heat we get in AZ.
The large CC mud flap doesn't help exhausting air either.
So has anyone else experienced a hotter than usual engine room temps?
Does anyone agree with a rear vent? Just wondering. Should be easy to install. The rear door is fiberglass and should be easy to cut a few holes and install a metal screen on the inside of the hatch.
Best to All, Don
Lacota is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #2

Don,

Please tell us what Country Coach you have.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #3

1992 Affinity 40' 6V:92TA 5200 miles on this oil change and it is still clear!
Old 10-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
You might consider adding a bilge blower for a boat. Those things move a LOT of air in a short amount of time. It would naturally need a path for cool air to come in and hot air to go out, but I think that would go a long way towards keeping the engine space cool. When my wife and I were looking for our next (current) RV I said that if we got a DP then I'd likely be adding a bilge blower to help it cool off at the end of a travel day. I used to run them in my boats after day's run for the same reason. It was especially helpful for those where the engine room was directly under the 'living room' space.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #5

My rig does not have a engine air vent, but the hatch door does not tightly seal the compartment.

We operate in 110 degree summer days fairly often with no coolant temp issues. But we have Cummins 300 hp mechanical.

You might have a Detroit so get a different result.

The mattress on the north/south bed is very warm the first night of arrival...
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #6

Thanks for the input folks. I did a short survey and a vent is no problem. The hardest part is removing and reinstalling 20 some grill bars.
I know heat kills an engine. I too had boats but the engine room never got as hot as my CC.
I just have been watching different CC's and several models do not have a rear vent where most other brands do?
Thanks, Don
Old 10-21-2021, 10:10 PM   #7

What are your running temps now? If you aren't overheating, I would not worry about it. The newer CCs you see with vents did have an over heat problem so CC started putting a vented rear access door on the try and cure the problem. Those engine spaces were crammed pretty tight to start with causing greater heat.
Then the louvers became into style
Old 10-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #8

That's what I could have guessed. I installed new gages up front (oil and water) and kept the rear run box gauges. I was running 190 in warmer weather on the old gages but with new gages it reads 220. I either have a bad guage or I am running too hot. The DDEC didn't try to shut down and most heat sensors are new.
The 6V92 takes up the whole engine room. All exhaust and turbos are heat wrapped. The space is well insulated and bunk does not get warm. I have noticed Beavers and Newells both are vented at least the ones I checked. The next step is to check the guage for accuracy and then make a vent. I noticed on some high end coaches the louvers are heat regulated. My regulator will be duct tape!
Thanks, Don

Thanks for the info Don.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:46 PM   #9

Our 2003 Allure 32’ with ISL 370 has an aluminum grille installed on the rear hatch door. This was done by a previous owner. It appears to be a straightforward modification, and I get no rush of heat when I open the hatch cover.

I think I included a picture

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7BE6B9F4-B393-4509-A018-F916C4BD4022.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	347269  
JDaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacota View Post
Howdy All,

My old coach just it back from OR last month. I have noticed some CC's have a vent at the rear of the coach to exit the heat. Mine does not have a rear vent and when you open the hatch a blast of heat comes out blasting you in the face.

Does anyone agree with a rear vent? Just wondering. Should be easy to install. The rear door is fiberglass and should be easy to cut a few holes and install a metal screen on the inside of the hatch.

Best to All, Don

I have a 1999 Affinity and I’m interested in what you come up with. My C12 Cat generates a lot of heat too. Not that I see it on the temp gage but I feel it coming up through the bed at night after a day on the road. I usually open the engine compartment after settling at the camp site to let the heat out and keep from roasting at night. A dedicated blower with a thermostat would be nice!
Aroadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:48 PM   #11

Thanks for the come back. I thought this was falling on deaf ears. You made a statement that the heat doesn't show at dash. That's what I forgot to say. The engine is 180 Degrees and the engine space is trapping all that heat. I have made my mind up to install a 16" fan inside the rear hatch to allow air to escape. There are 20 some grill bars across the back spaced 3/4" apart. With a a 16" hole behind the grill it shouldn't be visible from the rear.
All the tie wraps on the wire looms disintegrate if touched. Wires are getting brittle in places. AZ heat doesn't help.
I have a fan and relay on its way but here is my hang-up. I want it automatic and need a thermostat to come on at 150 and off at 120. Any idea's?
If it is on the engine it will run the fan too long because the engine takes a while to cool down. I need a air thermometer and haven't found one yet. Maybe a 10 amp 12 volt thermo. Next try is for a marine engine room fan.
The reason I decided to go this route was I saw another coach like mine only with a 8V92TA. IT had a large vent in the back. Think CC was wondering which way to go?
If you have any ideas let me know.
If your bunk is too hot try some marine engine room insulation over the old. Also, a guy could install under the bunk only.
Best, Don
Old 10-26-2021, 03:50 PM   #12

Dave,
The previous owner of your 32' figured this out a long time ago....Don
Old 10-26-2021, 04:47 PM   #13

Attic fan thermostat $39.00 at Depot. It might do the job.
Don
Old 10-27-2021, 08:24 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacota View Post
Howdy All,
Best to All, Don

Regarding hotter than usual engine room temperatures, I did experience an unusual temperature spike… very hot. Happened to take it to Cummins for service a few days later, forgot to mention it to them. But they discovered the flexible exhaust connection between engine and muffler has developed a leak, and that was the cause. Simple fix and heat spike resolved. It was hot enough in the engine compartment to have created other problems if not corrected I’d say. Lots of wiring and things like molex couplings that can be problematic if too hot.
J2Cs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, heat