Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #1

Entry door will not open

2004 Inspire. Entry door not locked but will not open. The grab handle is very sloppy. Using the key does not free the mechanism to open the door. Any suggestions?
docbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I would give a calll to Oregon Motorcoach, Bob Vinson, or Kevin Waite
Old 02-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #3

If the inside handle is very sloppy; it's likely that the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the mechanism fast inside the door have severely loosened. You cannot get to them until the door is open, unfortunately. Two of the three times I've dealt with this were fairly simple. The outside latch handle still had enough purchase on the mechanism to open the door. We were stuck inside and no one should ever ask my oldest daughter what she thought about me opening the passenger window and lowering her down there to turn the handle. Once open it was easy to tighten the grossly loose bolts....with some Loctite blue for good measure. The third time required a locksmith who opened the door within 30 seconds.

This happened on both of my Eagles and once on the Magna. I'm pretty sure it has at least a little to do with my kids slamming the door continuously.

2004 Country Coach Magna Chalet/ Cat C15
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #4

There is also the case of a small spring breaking in which case, you cannot get the door open from either side
Old 02-11-2017, 06:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I had a Trimark door handle fail on my 2002 Journey. Fortunately I was at home and had an open window. I climbed in and opened the door. I replaced the entire handle and mechanism.

The Trimark on this Allure looks identical and it is always a hard pull on the handle to get it open. I am always thinking those pot metal parts will break any time so I leave the large window over the sofa unlocked.

I seem to remember a thread about drilling a hole in the handle from the outside to get the thing to release in the event the mechanism fails. Does anyone know of that procedure?
Old 02-11-2017, 08:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbrown View Post
2004 Inspire. Entry door not locked but will not open. The grab handle is very sloppy. Using the key does not free the mechanism to open the door. Any suggestions?
Since the door handle assembly was broken and needed to be replaced I called Tri-Mark and they sent me drill sites to allow quick removal. One drill hole required and it all came apart. Sounds like easy break in procedure! Anyway, it came off easily and the new one will go in on Monday. I purchased it for $200, Oregon Motorcoach wanted $350. Thanks for the reply. The door handle had been acting up for the past four years getting more difficult to open, but it open with a good pull.
docbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, entry door