RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #1

Foil padding under drivers seat

I have been prepping for a few weeks for my floating floor install. Everything is finally here and the last thing to do was remove the drivers seat and carpet under it. As I removed the carpet there is a foil padding underneath the drivers seat only. Regular padding right up to it about 57” long by 32+” wide depending. It looks like it is there for safety, can anyone expand on this and should I leave it in place or can I remove. I have a work around if need be, I just need to know to pivot. Also having trouble pulling the carpet under the pedals. Seems like the carpeted walls under the dash are the problem. Do they need to be removed, if so how. I only see “L” brackets up top. Nothing visible on the bottom. I can keep pulling the carpet, but it has not bugged yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28BFFDBA-8789-4050-AD32-8F2411BE8D7E.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	310339  
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2011 Subaru Outback Toad
MarylandRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently tore out the carpet in My 97 Southwind and the carpet under the pedals was also a bear to get out it was heavily glued down all the way up to the wall.
I had to cut it out in small pieces and scrape the glue with a tile remover with a sharp blade.
Digger01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #3

On my 2000 Magna, the kick panels in front of the pedals are attached to each other with L-brackets and addtitions screws in the side panel. You'll have to look carefully as those screws are embedded in the carpet. I can't remember if there are additional screws in the other panels.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #4

FYI there is a gray sheet of something under the foil. It looks to be about 1/8" thick. I have pivoted on my install, and will now do black rubber diamond plate in the drivers cockpit over the foil. again if anyone can shed some light on what this is I am curious.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	foil 1 sm.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	517.5 KB
ID:	310554   Click image for larger version

Name:	foil 2 sm.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	705.7 KB
ID:	310555  

Name:	foil 3 sm.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	687.4 KB
ID:	310556  
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2011 Subaru Outback Toad
Old 12-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #5

And for anyone interested here is the floor installed. Not bad time wise. The actual install once all prep work was done was 2 full days including pulling the drivers area and chair. A fair amount of that time is thinking about the next row, and how molding and such will factor in. I'm sure a pro could have knocked it out in a day. I am very happy with the end result.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	floor 1 sm.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	647.1 KB
ID:	310557   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor 2 sm.jpg
Size:	724.3 KB
ID:	310558  

Name:	floor 3 sm.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	680.0 KB
ID:	310559  
Old 12-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Looks very nice . Are you gonna lay it on the slide too?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Looks very nice . Are you gonna lay it on the slide too?
No the slide is 95% covered by a couch (presently being reupholstered) I am also leaving the carpet on the sides of the stair entrance and stair slide cover. It never gets walked on and looks like new. I also only have so much energy for this project. That all could be redone at a later time without ripping the whole coach apart.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Did the couch go out in one piece or did it have to be taken out in parts? Want to do the floor in mine as well and wife keeps thinking about changing the couch cover.
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin379 View Post
Did the couch go out in one piece or did it have to be taken out in parts? Want to do the floor in mine as well and wife keeps thinking about changing the couch cover.

I have 2 couches 1 in the driver side slide, and a J couch passenger side. the slide couch came out on 1 piece (drawer removed), but was a bear as I did not take out the passenger captains chair 1st. I will not replace the passengers chair before it comes back in (lesson learned). The J couch is a 2 piece couch,and could not go out in 1 piece (but I did not need to remove it from the coach). I took it apart anyway, as much ezer to move around in 2 parts. the larger of the 2 is backwards in the slide in this pic. The best way to remove the captains chairs is the large double nut in the center of the pedestal, then remove the large center hub under the nuts, then wiggle it backwards until the lip under the pedestal is free, then lift. The chairs were both hard wired in, I cut the wires under the chair, and will be installing a quick disconnect for next time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	floor 3 sm.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	680.0 KB
ID:	310662  
Old 12-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandRich View Post
The chairs were both hard wired in, I cut the wires under the chair, and will be installing a quick disconnect for next time.
When I did the flooring two years ago, I disconnected the blade quick connects on the chairs directly, no need to cut the wires.

By the way, there wasn't aluminum foil under the driver chair for me to worry about. Yours has it so dunno why. might be a metal plate underneath they added an insulation layer?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
When I did the flooring two years ago, I disconnected the blade quick connects on the chairs directly, no need to cut the wires.

By the way, there wasn't aluminum foil under the driver chair for me to worry about. Yours has it so dunno why. might be a metal plate underneath they added an insulation layer?

I will look further under for the blades, I had not seen any, it looked hard wired to me, but maybe I did not look hard enough. Whats done is done, and I will have ez quick connects from now on. I wonder if the foil and gray plate under the drivers seat is a Magna/Affinity thing. That would seem strange, but some Country Coach things are strange. I was going to put the black Diamond plate in the front of the cockpit anyway, now it will just go back further.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #12

Just got an email my couch is finished at the reupholster. Here is the 1st look. DW is very excited. This pattern has all the interior colors in the coach. Front passenger window is on the way back from FL, once it is back in, I can start bolting, and screwing everything back together again. I might be done by Christmas. New years for sure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	reupolstered coach 1 sm.jpg
Size:	730.3 KB
ID:	310691  
Old 12-08-2020, 05:06 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suspect the carpeting is so well glued to the floor to prevent lawsuits.

Imagine that carpet coming up a bit and preventing you from putting on the brakes.

Toyota had a problem years ago with carpeting causing some issues and the lawyers made a fortune.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:36 PM   #14

[QUOTE=Arch Hoagland;5550231]I suspect the carpeting is so well glued to the floor to prevent lawsuits.

Not any glue as far as I can tell. Now staples that’s a difference story, must be 10 pounds of staples. Also the carpet was laid down before anything else, so everything is on top, and had to be unbolted or in screwed. It was under the driver seat surround/Bose stereo cabinet. It is under the captain chair pedestal. That one I cut around.

Tags
driver, seat