Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #1

Freezing

My 2007 Country Coach Tribute is in my driveway in Kentucky because we will be leaving for Dallas in late December to spend Christmas with Grand Kids.
The temp went down to 23 here last night. I have opened all drains and valves and removed all the water I know about including disconnecting the ice maker solenoid, the washing machine connections and emptying and replacing the built-in filter....But, I did not add anti-freeze to the system because we will be ready for the road again soon. The CC manual says that all Country Coach designs have some method to prevent freezing. In my case, hot air blows from the rear propane furnace into the water compartment.
I have a remote thermometer in my coach that tells me the temperature in the water compartment. Last night I set the thermostat inside the coach at 55 degrees on both propane furnaces set on gas heat. This morning the temperature in the water compartment was 32...too close for comfort? WORRIED! For those who have experience camping in the winter, what am I going to have to do to keep the water system from freezing when we have water in the system and are living in the coach during January in Dallas? Will the coach stay warmer in the basement compartments when we are living in it? I did buy a heated drinking water hose to run water into the coach.....
Haleyjean50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
You can get a drop light and put a 25 or 50 watt bulb in it and place it in the water pump compartment. I use a timer so that the light comes on about midnight and goes off late morning.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

There should be a provision to route furnace air into the water bay. Call CC in Junction City. They have been good about answering my questions. Also Premier RV in the same area has a lot of the service guys from the old factory.
jofo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Living in Mi, it takes 25 degrees or so over a 24 hr period to really freeze anything up in a MH. If you are seeing 32 degrees in the wet bay,I wouldn't give it a second thought.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
You can get a drop light and put a 25 or 50 watt bulb in it and place it in the water pump compartment. I use a timer so that the light comes on about midnight and goes off late morning.
There is a plug at Lowes that will turn on at 35 degrees.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #6

Lightbulb Thermo Cube from Amazon

Search Amazon.com for this 'Thermo Cube'. You might find them locally as well. I have long kept one of these in my boatpowering a couple cheap clip on lamps with 75W bulbs in the engine compartment. When the temp drops to about 35 degrees, they lights come on. As long as you have AC power this offers great peace of mind
JSBrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The setting of 55 is a bit too low for freeze protection. You need to set it closer to 60 for the warm air to have an effect in the under belly. But I'm with clyon51, 32 degrees is not going to freeze lines.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
There have been some good answers above and I would add that something like the suggested light bulbs or Marine Stores have compact bilge heaters that are designed for the same purpose along with the plug that senses the cold and turns these devices on or off when it warms up. Could save you from turning up the propane heat and associated cost of propane refills.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #9

I don't have a Country Coach but would like to get one. Here is a You Tube that is about 1hr long with alot of good info better than looking at a book.
Hope it helps

2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
The only furnace that heats the utilities basement on our rig is the bedroom furnace. So you could probably save some propane by not running the front furnace.

Use the electric water heater function and an electric cube heater in the salon and you should be ok with overnight freezing temps.

The suggestions of electric utility bay heaters would also save propane.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would recommend you do a full winterize for now, blow out the fresh lines, pink stuff in the traps and toilets.

Leave it that way till you hit the road come Christmas.

Do not fill the fresh tank till it warms up some around you.

NOTE: North Texas does freeze at night. I know, been there, Done that.. All that froze was a little bit of waste hose (not even full so there was no damage) but freeze it did.