RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:47 AM   #1

Front Hub fluid

Morning All,

I need to change out the fluid (lube) in the front wheel assembles and I do not know what to use. I have a 2002 CC Allure with wet hubs. So if you know what I need please let me know. Thanks for your help.

R/--
Harry
2002 CC Allure #30703
hcbradley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #2

80-90w gear lube should be good. Meritor recommends that on ours.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:05 AM   #3

Probably 80-90 is good but just remember, 80% of the hub oil is in the hollow of the hubs, behind the bearings....unless you remove the castle nut and remove the outside bearing, its pretty hard to get at the majority of the oil....you are really kind of "refreshing" some of the oil, not really replacing it....
Ps--now would be a good time to check/reset the bearing pre-load on the hubs--but its kind of an involved process.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Probably 80-90 is good but just remember, 80% of the hub oil is in the hollow of the hubs, behind the bearings....unless you remove the castle nut and remove the outside bearing, its pretty hard to get at the majority of the oil....you are really kind of "refreshing" some of the oil, not really replacing it....
Ps--now would be a good time to check/reset the bearing pre-load on the hubs--but its kind of an involved process.
110% correct^^^
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-24-2020, 10:35 AM   #5

Ok thanks for the information. The last time i had the chassis serviced they told me the fluid is looking well used and should be replaced, other then that it is looking good. Then they told me that it will cost $300 a side to replace the fluid and seals, OUCH .

Then one of the mechanics said to just drain out the fluid, replace with new and you should be good to go for awhile longer.

So i guess if I drain and fill a few times i should be good to go for now.

Again thanks for the info.

R/--
Harry
2002 CC Allure #30703
hcbradley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:42 AM   #6

Sounds about right, $$$$-wise.....not familiar with air brake hubs but its a pretty involved effort to remove hubs, replace seals????, drain fluid, remount hub, replace fluid, and reset bearing pre-load....don't know how many miles you have on the rig, but periodic checking/resetting bearing pre-load is something owners need to consider--lose the inside seal due to bearing wobble and you will have an expensive mess...
Old 09-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #7

How often do you change the rear differential fluid in your motorhome ? Not very often I guess. Your front wheel bearings use the same type fluid, so why would you need to change the fluid before you do a brake job ? On 18 Wheelers they change the fluid when they replace the brakes..Just keep it at the correct level, if it gets low you have a wheel seal leaking..
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #8

Just a guess-- but I would say a lot more heat generated with front braking [or abusive braking] and a lot less oil volume to deal with the heat...regardless, I tend to agree, unless contminated or leaking, front hub oil should be pretty "durable."
Old 09-24-2020, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
110% correct^^^
Close but not 110%.

There is no preload on axle tapered bearings.
You check the end play. A small amount of movement is normal.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Close but not 110%.

There is no preload on axle tapered bearings.
You check the end play. A small amount of movement is normal.
Well if you want to split hairs, there actually is a preload specification, then you back the nut off to the end play you speak of. Timken recommends something like 60 ft lb torque and back the nut off 1/4 to 1/6 turn, depending on the bearing size/application. 50 years of spinning wrenches, and I never did them that way lol. I always tightened the preload nut and backed it off, then tighten the nut by hand. The outer lock nut should be torqued good and snug, then lock tabbed in place.
One thing to remember when filling up the hubs is to spin the wheel several times to work the lube oil back into the tapered wheel bearings and check the level several times until it stabilizes. I can honestly say changing the front hub oil is something we never did in the City Light fleet rigs as part of our extensive PM schedule, but they usually got a brake job every few years anyways. Probably a good idea on motor home applications....
But yes Twin, never run your tapered wheel bearings with any preload.
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #11

What Alpine36 said--farm kid but not a wrench bender by trade, followed the Timken website instruction on tightening the castle nut---60 ftlbs always seemed excessive for even the 22.5 rims/hubs but the back-off a face or 2 did....195k miles on my 2003 so perhaps I got it partially right--besides, 100% has never been my goal [smile]...
Old 09-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Rang View Post
How often do you change the rear differential fluid in your motorhome ? Not very often I guess. Your front wheel bearings use the same type fluid, so why would you need to change the fluid before you do a brake job ? On 18 Wheelers they change the fluid when they replace the brakes..Just keep it at the correct level, if it gets low you have a wheel seal leaking..
I gotta go with you on this. 2.5 Million miles in a Commercial vehicle and I don't remember once ever having the grease changed in a wheel hub. Always kept a bottle of 80W90 in the truck in case a seal went bad and I had to limp back to the shop, but like you said only changed when they did a brake job.

Shop has got to pay the bills somehow I guess.
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid