Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2016, 08:54 AM   #1

Front plastic shield

I have a 1997 Country Coach Affinity with a large plastic shield mounted on the front of the coach. I do not know the company name that makes this shield. Does anybody know of a manufacturer that still makes this type of shield. Mine has a small crack at the bottom and I would like to have it repaired or replaced.

Thank you all in advance for your help crew.

Tim and Linda Neal
1997 Country Coach Affinity
Huntington Beach California
timneal49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
DTS

Country Coach Owners Club
The one on mine was made by a company called Coach Armor. They are out of business. There was another company back east that was reproducing them up until recently (don't recall their name), but they no longer make them either. I went through this earlier this year when I was trying to find a replacement lower section for mine.
1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
Community Moderator

i yanked mine because it became yellowish, ugly. that was a few years ago.
the newer models of cc don't have it, and all other makes don't have it. why we really need it?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #4

Even though the companies that made these are no longer in business you can still buy the product. Lexan polycarbonate sheeting is still being made, as I have seen it at Home Depot. Maybe using your old one as a template a glass shop may be able to cut and smooth one out for you. Just a thought, as I have no experience with this.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #5

I removed mine about 5 years ago.

It did its job of protecting the paint except on the lower front "bumper".

Depending on your paint scheme, you would spend about $1,000 having it repainted every so often, or do it yourself for about $40.

The complete shield cost about $1000 in its day.

I found the shield to be hard to maintain and irritating when I needed to get to the nose slide out for the Generator.

Mine made it very difficult to clean the backside of the shield or the front of the nose with it mounted.

I am much calmer with it removed......
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:34 PM   #6

You can stop the crack from getting larger by drilling a small hole at the end of the crack.

I have the coach armor and every couple of years, I attack it with Flitz and a power ball to clean it up and take out small scratches. Takes about 30 minutes for both sides
Old 10-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
DTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I removed mine about 5 years ago.
That's probably what I'm going to do with mine as well. I've found it to be more of a PITA than its worth. Question to you and others who have removed them, what did you do with the holes? I don't think I want to bite off the task and expense of filling and re-painting just to cover the bolt holes.. I wonder if some stainless button-head bolts in the holes wouldn't look too hokey.
1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
That's probably what I'm going to do with mine as well. I've found it to be more of a PITA than its worth. Question to you and others who have removed them, what did you do with the holes? I don't think I want to bite off the task and expense of filling and re-painting just to cover the bolt holes.. I wonder if some stainless button-head bolts in the holes wouldn't look too hokey.
The stainless steel bolts could be a solution that I did not try.

I filled all the holes. On my rig most were in the teal green bumper which I repainted myself (amateur) three years ago. It still looks like the picture.

I tried to paint the filled holes in the clear coated gel coat white, but could not get a good color match. So that problem remains.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #9

I'm not County Coach, but American Coach. I have the lexan shield made by Summit Stainless if it helps. Mine is 12 years old and still looks new. Maybe Summit can help. I have seen one sprayed with black bed liner for pickups, didn't look too bad.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I'm not County Coach, but American Coach. I have the lexan shield made by Summit Stainless if it helps. Mine is 12 years old and still looks new. Maybe Summit can help. I have seen one sprayed with black bed liner for pickups, didn't look too bad.
336muffin
Where?....What?....Who?.... is Summit Stainless?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #11

I'm thinking of taking mine off also, I feel it makes the coach look "dated". I read a post somewhere that a fella took his Coach Armor off and noted an increase in fuel mileage.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
336muffin
Where?....What?....Who?.... is Summit Stainless?
It is actually Summit Products in Altoona,IA. They build some really nice stuff.

I raided their scrap bin once and got some really nice scraps for other projects. They usually come to the FMCA international conventions

Summit Products, Inc. - Fabrication Products
Old 10-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post
I'm thinking of taking mine off also, I feel it makes the coach look "dated". I read a post somewhere that a fella took his Coach Armor off and noted an increase in fuel mileage.
the change on mpg may not be significant, but it does weigh about 50 lbs or more (i felt it's pretty heavy then). dropping it will help fuel economy for sure.

from another angle to see this, those million $ tour buses like prevost and its marathon conversions, don't have the "armor". wouldn't that tell us something?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:29 PM   #14

"..........from another angle to see this, those million $ tour buses like prevost and its marathon conversions, don't have the "armor". wouldn't that tell us something? "

Yes it does. It means they have more money than we do!