Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:55 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
First post - WELCOME!!!!

What model CC do you have? Some Magna's and I believe Affinity's from say 2005 and on, can have fuel sensors that have ground related problems. Some report success by using 409 or Simple Green and spray the top of the tank where the sensor is mounted, lightly brushing with a soft brush as needed. These tank tops, and the sensor, can accumulate light dirt and road grime 'junk' - which then causes a ground connection problem. Sure would not hurt to see if your tank sensor is visible in our coach, and if cleaning looks appropriate give it a try. And yeah, some times the sensors just go bad. Or a loose wire on the back of the actual gauge, etc. So of course other opportunities to problem solve!

Please post your model, and that will help for more specific input.

Enjoy your coach,
Smitty
Hey Smitty! Have you had any fuel gauge issues with your new Magna yet? Our '09 Magna has never read fuel level correctly. Have run out twice now (amazingly just as we pulled into a truck stop). Engine dies along with power steering and VMS throws a "Low Fuel Pressure" error. Gauge is reading around 1/4 tank. When full, it reads full, then just stays there forever until slowly dropping to 1/2, then bouncing around erratically at times between 1/4 and 3/4 readings. Tank only took 120 gallons when "empty" so that means approx. 30 gallons is unusable. Can this be right? (see below)

Had Premier RV troubleshoot last summer. Old sender worked fine in their test jig showing correct resistance at various levels. Dash gauge also worked flawlessly when connected to their tester and resistance was run through the range from Full to Empty. Premier did find that the fuel pickup tube was too short and not extending where it should have. They dropped the tank, soldered a new piece on to extend to factory specs. (Said they had a bunch of these that came defective from the vendor at the time).

Premier installed a new sender anyway and told me it would "reset" after first fill-up. No luck. They sent me another sender when we go home to Nor-Cal and had my local tech (former CC employee) install it. He also ran it and the gauge through the troubleshooting paces and both looked good. Gauge moves now as described above but still not accurate. And BTW, when empty now, it still only takes 120 gallons to fill!!!

We love our Magna (#6991) but this is beyond frustrating not being able to get an accurate reading and having so much fuel be unusable in a high end coach. My tech and I are now looking at installing a sonar type fuel sender similar to what Newell uses and connecting it through the Silverleaf system. He did this on an Affinity some years ago and it worked. In the mean time I am using the VMS Trip-1 feature and resetting at each fuel fill up. This seems pretty accurate as far as Gallons Used are concerned and helps me figure how much is left (after subtracting the 30 or so Gals unusable.

Sorry for the rant, but wanted to share our experience in case this helps of if anyone has overcome this same issue.

Cheers!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 04:29 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
ScottM, our 2009 Affinity Fuel Gauge performs exactly the same way as yours does. I too have been brought to a surprising halt as the result of an empty tank. Our tank when empty took 130 gallons and it was a PITA!

I've been told the reason we can't put 150 in and take 150 out is due to the breathing required in tanks and that CC designed the tank tube which pulls fuel poorly. As far as the fuel gauge, this has to be a design flaw as I've heard from others similar stories on how their gauges operate.

I'll stay turned listening to how your upgrade is working.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Wonder how Mr D's works. His is a 09 Magna.

Could the tube and that for genset have been reversed? Pretty sure those repair guys have already thought about it. But fuel level gauge isn't a new technology, how hard to make it right?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #18

Hi ScottM - Yes, 07 Rembrandt 6775M has a fuel gauge that is not reflecting reality. (Was pretty happy seeing the tank remain on Full, even after driving about a hundred miles... But after 250 or so miles, well knew 'Something ain't right!'.)

I've read many threads on different repair approaches, and have not yet tried any of them in our coach.

For now, I'm pretending we have a 100G tank, and get 5MPG - and will use a range of 450-500 miles between fill up's, when we get out and get some real seat time travels this year. Due to our limited miles since we bought her, and timing on topping off before stopping for longer stays and or storage, the most I remember in the probably 7-9 fill up's since we've had her - is a little over 80 gallons. Along with the 450-500 range on a pretend 100G tank, I'll track our generator usage (Using the High Load 1.2G per hour.), for calculating reduction of available miles to drive.

We took about two full years to sort out and get our 04 Allure into a known baseline maintenance level, and learn her habits. We had 3-4 months with the Magna last year, but self isolating our a site we have at Pacific Shores. And due to scheduling issues earlier this year, we've had about 6 weeks total usage in the first 5 months of the year.

Fuel gauge is on our list, and I too will follow this, and other, threads on the subject closely!

And, will ask around if my era 07 could have the bad fuel pick-up leaving too many gallons unavailable... (Does anyone know what year the higher fuel pick up impacted?).

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel