Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Fuel gauge stuck on full?

About 3000 miles ago the fuel gauge stuck on full and has been stuck there ever since.
Anyone have this happen?
also my guess is that the gen. and hydra hot pick up fuel from a higher point as not to run me out of fuel. We boondock a lot.
Heading out now to look over the top of the tank connections and make sure no critters are nesting on it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2015, 02:36 PM   #2

Now that is one fine looking rig! (High Cascade?, Newport? Other?)

Just think of the money you'll save, always being full...

Somewhere around the 1/4 full mark, is the tribal knowledge that I've picked up on the cutoff draw down points for the generator and HydroHot.

Good luck on finding the cause of the stuck gauge, I'll follow the post to see what it ends up being.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #3

Mine stays on full for 1/2 of my tank then it starts to drop. I will be following this thread to see what you come up with.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #4

Mine never gets to full - only about 3/4. It's been that way for about 25,000 miles. I never believe it anyway. I always use miles driven times my known MPG.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #5

Check the connection on the fuel sending unit and make sure it has a good ground. The sending unit could be bad and no longer changing resistance as the float goes down, only fix for that would be to install new sending unit. You can pull it can read it with an OHM meter and confirm that the unit is the problem and not a wiring issue, should change resistance as you move the float up and down.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:16 PM   #6

ya what waternut said. However if that all checks out your problem is probably in your tank. Been there done that paid the bill. However it you're going to pull the sending unit have a replacement ready to stick back in it will save you a lot of time, labor, knuckles, and peace of mind. You can always take the sending unit back if you don't need it.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:37 PM   #7

Check power on back of gage.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:39 PM   #8

TQ60 said: Check power on back of gage.

That is a great first step. Also consider lightly smacking the gauge or top of the dash.

If there is power at the gauge I would check the grounding wire at the sender unit on the tank. Try grounding the ground wire to a good chassis ground to "make sure" it is good.
Also try grounding the center post on the sending unit. Grounding the center post will make the dash gauge read "full" if there is continuity between the sending unit and the dash.

I have seen the gauge floats hang up (rarely) and sometimes the rheostat portion of the sender wears out.

Hope this helps. Good luck getting to the sending unit location.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #9

Fuel gauge stuck on full - Update #1

Here are the before and after pictures of the fuel tank sensor:

I cleaned it with a can of Brake Clean and an old toothbrush. At this point the tank was full. I moved the full rheostat back and forth until I got the needle of the gauge to hover around the full tank mark.

We left on a 200 mile trip and the gauge stayed at full most of the way. Then, suddenly, dropped to a 1/4 tank and hovered around there for the rest of the trip. When we got to the campground I got back in and adjust the full rheostat to bring it up to the 5/8 full mark, which is where I am guessing the gauge should be based on fuel usage.

In 3 days we are going to be traveling about 300 miles. I will report back.

Tags
fuel