Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2022, 08:23 PM   #1

Fuel Issue or Electrical Issue?

2009 Country Coach Veranda 600;
My question is has anyone had this problem?

My coach (Cummins ISX Diesel) starts up fine and I can pull off and going straight for between 2-10 miles before I loose pulling power to drive. The coach then begins to downshift itself while I roll to the edge of the road and upon me stopping, the engine cuts off. I put it in N and pull the Park Brake, switch it off and restart the engine and it starts back up, sometimes with no power for a minute or so, then I get power to pull off until I make a turn, L or R before it cuts back out again.

I have changed both fuel filters and put in a fuel cleanser in the tank.

So has anyone had this issue? Is it a fuel issue or an electrical issue?
Newbie rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2022, 10:53 PM   #2

Look for engine and transmission codes on your Silverleaf or whatever similar device you have.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:18 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I had engine shutdown problems on cloverleaf highway turns many years ago.

The rig would restart ok after shutting down.

The problem was a low coolant signal from the surge tank that would shut down the engine. The sensor in the tank would be uncovered during a turn.

You might want to check your coolant level in the surge tank.

The cause of the low coolant level was the shop failing to burp the air out of the cooling system when the coolant was changed.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:07 AM   #4

Yes to all the input!

- Look SL reported Diagnostics (And if needed, get the ECM scanned at Cummins, as not all error codes to some SL's. Though yours in a 2009, should have a SL that will report most of them.)

- Check the Coolant Reservoir tank level. IF too low, as Dean pointed out, it can cause what you are seeing. And bad coolant sending units can happen too...

When you are running, how is power? What boost PSI are you seeing when working the engine accelerating or hill climbing? (If not seeing it go above 30 PSI from time to time, you may need to look for breakdown in the tubing from the Air Cleaner to the Turbo Inlet (many opportunities along this path, for a clamp or rubber elbow coupling to disconnect some.)

And your coach should have the CM871 ISX in it, which is DEF and EGR. A clogging EGR, and or dirty MAP sensors - can also cause an engine De-Rate.

Hope it's something easy to determine, and repair for you...

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:08 AM   #5

I would also check to see if you have an overheating condition. This readily causes shut down and the Sauer‐Danfoss fan controller is a flaky unit at best.

IF you have a bad hydraulic pump or stripped PTO you can drive around all day on a low load...but once you put load on the engine itll eventually shut down and pretty quickly too..I'm surprised your Silverleaf and coach isn't throwing all kinds of beeping warnings and lights at you...

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:11 PM   #6

I would really like to thank you all for your response’s and your help with my issue. I am new to the RV life and we love it but have so very much to learn, I see. Thank You! I will follow up with the things you all have pointed out.
Newbie rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:17 AM   #7

The very first thing I would do on any lost power condition is replace the fuel filters.
gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:08 PM   #8

Agree, the very first thing to replace is the fuel filters. If you didn’t do it yourself and fill the new filters with fresh fuel before putting them on, I’d start by pulling them off and going thru adding fresh fuel and replacing. I had a very bad experience at Cummins dealer in Rock Springs WY exactly like your experiencing. The coach was acting like yours and I always carry fresh filters with me. I stopped at the Cummins dealer, he put it on the computer and said the fuel pump was failing. I told him I wanted him to change the filters first but he insisted and kept insisting it was the pump on a coach with only 30k miles. Well I finally let him replace the pump without replacing the filters and1 week later, $500 in motel room and $6000 later in pump and labor bill, the coach did exactly the same thing. I limped it home to my mechanic over 4 days. He checked fuel pressures which he said were low and especially low for a new pump, took the filters off and found one filter was deteriorating internally with also some algae in both (only 1 year old). He replaced them both and the engine ran like new. Lesson learned, NEVER let them talk me out of a simple filter change first. I formally complained to Cummins regional service manager, he agreed and he got me $2000 back but I was still out $4500 and lost a week of travel plus a royal pain in the arse limping back to home.
Rob
2006 Magna
Missouri
Skykingrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsander1 View Post
The very first thing I would do on any lost power condition is replace the fuel filters.
^^^this^^^
Old 03-23-2022, 06:25 AM   #10

Reprogramming the brain

I had a similar issue on a nasty busy freeway in Northern CA. I ended up in a truck repair and the computer had to be to updated and reprogrammed. It was a couple hours and only $300. I white knuckle it all the way home because when the engine died it was scary stuff. Never had another problem.
ArizonaTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 06:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie rver View Post
2009 Country Coach Veranda 600;

I have changed both fuel filters and put in a fuel cleanser in the tank.

Check the filters to be both are seated tightly. Long shot, but a cheap fix.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, fuel