Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Open the door on your refrig and take a Picture of the Model number - then Google it to get the info on the Replacements needed dimensions - much easier and More reliable info.

JMHO,
Do Not Install a SAMSUNG

JUNK
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Do Not Install a SAMSUNG

JUNK
Busskipper - Not a normal post from you, so I looked up some of your other posts, and see you've made same basic update to a few threads on residential fridges...

In one of those threads, you said your two year Samsung (RF18? I believe.) had gone out. And that Samsung could not fix it, so it needs to be replaced.

How about more info please:
-Did you run it 7/24
-Do you have EMS to protect from low/high shore power voltage on your rig
-Do you run off of inverter, and if so, is it PSW or MSW

And what went out on your unit? And sorry it crapped out on you!! (We built a house with a granny flat for my MIL. Two fridges, Kenmore and GE, and both had to be replaced in under 7 years. GE bad compressor, and Kenmore was a cascading failure, where the parts and labor to replace were more then a new one. Compare that to the Philco refrigerator I removed from my Mom's garage when settling her estate. 53 years, and still running strong... So, they don't seem to make them like they used too..... We also did a remodel of our kitchen in our house, and have an LG, we were lucky we did not have a fire, when a part went out. The tech did confirm that the replacement part was different, and it was common part used in many fridges, not just LE - I could see the melted plastic... Running good, so far, sense then.

I did not get the extended warranty on our Home Depot bought RF18, I wish I had, as I feel the odds of a problem in a freeway shook fridge are higher then one sitting in a house (And you can see recent experiences have not been good.)

Hoping if you share some of your specific's. It might help others down the road.

Again, sorry yours went out - but more info please!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Busskipper - Not a normal post from you, so I looked up some of your other posts, and see you've made same basic update to a few threads on residential fridges...

Correct - I am usually pretty upbeat - I Hope - but the Samsung just was such a disappointment - planned to replace it for a year - never heard any negatives on it - took a good bit of effort to install - One man Show -

In one of those threads, you said your two year Samsung (RF18? I believe.) had gone out. And that Samsung could not fix it, so it needs to be replaced.

Correct - a faulty wire to the fan in the refrigerator - shorts out according to the third service tech and 8 hours of working on it. It is unrepairable and Samsung will not replace. Did I mention it is JUNK

How about more info please:
-Did you run it 7/24

Ran it for say a month did a two week trip to the beach and then returned home to turn off - when we prepared to go this year plugged it in no refrigerator not cold- - frozen solid - no fan - no power to the fan.

-Do you have EMS to protect from low/high shore power voltage on your rig

Not an issue as it is a Short in the wiring from being produced with little to NO QC . Did I mention Samsung is JUNK?

-Do you run off of inverter, and if so, is it PSW or MSW

Electric only never hooked it up to the Prosine 3000 which will work.

And what went out on your unit? And sorry it crapped out on you!! (We built a house with a granny flat for my MIL. Two fridges, Kenmore and GE, and both had to be replaced in under 7 years. GE bad compressor, and Kenmore was a cascading failure, where the parts and labor to replace were more then a new one. Compare that to the Philco refrigerator I removed from my Mom's garage when settling her estate. 53 years, and still running strong... So, they don't seem to make them like they used too..... We also did a remodel of our kitchen in our house, and have an LG, we were lucky we did not have a fire, when a part went out. The tech did confirm that the replacement part was different, and it was common part used in many fridges, not just LE - I could see the melted plastic... Running good, so far, sense then.

I recently installed 4 years ago a 4 door $3,000+ Samsung in my house and the icemaker crapped out - was replaced with a fight and has to be defrosted every two week to get ICE - NOT good - ALSO JUNK!!!

I did not get the extended warranty on our Home Depot bought RF18, I wish I had, as I feel the odds of a problem in a freeway shook fridge are higher than one sitting in a house (And you can see recent experiences have not been good.)

The main reason for all the Negative posts is to make people aware of the issue - Samsung builds JUNK.

Hoping if you share some of your specific's. It might help others down the road.

Again, sorry yours went out - but more info please!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Some of us are Lucky some of us are not - but with Amazon giving it a 62% one star rating Pretty sure most consumers are not that Happy with Samsung - so DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG.

Smitty hope this helps,
Old 08-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #18

Appreciate you filling in more info. And again sorry, bummer when things that should be as reliable as - Well, a refrigerator! - fail...

And yeah, could tell this (And the few other's on Samsung...) were not your norm on posting!

I hope my luck continues with our RF18. We do not use the ice maker, like the extra space it gives us in the freezer drawer, and we use to ice trays in it's place about 1/2 the space consumed. It also save on power usage when boon docking, and less moving pieces! Our biggest concerns is the rough roads we seem to hit way to often on our highway's - glad to see the fuel taxes we pay going to new bike lanes, pedestrian bridges, mass transit, etc. - no reason to fix the highway's, sooner or later us blockheads will understand we need to sell our RV's, our cars, and next probably our houses. Being a bit 'slow', I'll wait for either DC or whatever state we're in - to tell us what we should do... (Mini rant off!)

Best of luck on a replacement, and good travels to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #19

I also brought my new Samsung RF18 in through the front door.

Bruce
Metalbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalbendr View Post
I also brought my new Samsung RF18 in through the front door.

Bruce
I brought mine in through the window and it was easy - Iíll likely bring the replacement Refrigerator in through that same window - BUT -

IT WILL NOT BE A SAMSUNG AS IT ONLY LASTED TWO WEEKS - JUNK
Old 08-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #21

We did our 05 Allure and cabinet depth frig will go thru door. Put slides out and remove passenger seat and it will go right in with doors removed.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #22

busskipper, I hope ours holds up. As you said it is a pain to get in so, I will be keeping my fingers crossed.

Bruce
Serial #10378
Metalbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:35 AM   #23

Quote:
I brought mine in through the window and it was easy - Iíll likely bring the replacement Refrigerator in through that same window - BUT -

IT WILL NOT BE A SAMSUNG AS IT ONLY LASTED TWO WEEKS - JUNK
UPDATE

Update on the Samsung Odyssey

My feelings about the Name Brand SAMSUNG has not changed - they are still worthless as a company.

They not only could not repair my refrigerator but declared it Unfixable - after sending Two Techs spending over 12 hours trying to repair and consulting with the Master Tech in the office/on the phone. They replaced the Circuit Board twice, the Fan twice and Diagnosed for hours, only to determine that they Built Junk that this "New" refrigerator was unrepairable AND OUT OF WARRANTY.

So being a DIY sort of guy I steamed over the poor Investment and Blasted Samsung for their lack of QC (Quality Control) but after some time passed, I started to do a little research and personal Diagnostics - Google and the Internet are Great - the determination from the final Tech was that the wire that went from the Board to the fan was bad - So the DIY guy says replace the wire - but the Research Guy says learn a little more - think about it and determine how to fix it.

First thought is to take and Ice Pick, heat it to MELT a hole from the fan to the Circuit board and run a new wire -thus it would be Fixed.(Running - as the fan in the refrigerator is always running, albeit at two different speeds)

But the DIY guy says messing (Messing Up) with the Circuit Board can be expensive and should be a last resort. So I go through all those old chargers I have in the Garage (Who Knows what they go to anymore ) strip the wires find an old 12v fan and hook it up into the Refrigerator to see if that would possibly work, get a remote thermometer and OMG it now Works!

Guess I should explain that the RF18 (RF18HFENBSR French Door Refrigerator with Twin Cooling Plus, 17.5 cu.ft) issue was that the Freezer ran fine - stayed at 0 and was great - the Refrigerator - coil would freeze up because the Fan did not work - it was determined that the wire was shorted and it was unrepairable. So now I have a fan albeit the wrong fan working and the refrig staying in range on temperature - So I check the Original Fan thinking it should work off the 12v wire that I have hanging through the Door - Fan does not Run! - they had replaced it Twice with "New" Fans that did not work either - thus the determination that the issue was the wire.

Again to the Internet - Amazon has the Replacement fan for $55.00 - Ebay for $25 - might take a week, not over night but what the heck, been a year with no Refrig so ebay it is. 10 days later the Fan arrives test it with the 12v plug works set it in place of the old fan and the refrigerator plug it into the original plug/wire just to see and ......it is working!?!?

So I guess that the Moral of the Story - Do not Buy Samsung they are just Incompetent - and rely on the Customer for QC and built Junk.

The Internet is Great.

For less than $50.00 I have repaired the Unrepairable Refrigerator, and will keep the $2,000.00 (replacement cost for different refrigerator) + in my pocket to RV.

Aren't these RV's GREAT!
Old 01-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #24
TR4

Thanks for updating. You would think the original tech would have checked for voltage to the fan before concluding the wire was bad. Hopefully youíll get many years of use now.

Bill
Old 01-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #25

Are there other manufacturers other than samsung who make a similar sized model?
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:23 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
GE has a similar 17cubic foot unit... A quick Google search netted this but I'm sure its sold elsewhere
Not that it matters but GE is made by Haier .. One on the largest in the world Chinese appliance companies

[url]https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-17-5-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-in-Stainless-Steel-Counter-Depth-GYE18JSLSS/302944117?mtc=Shopping-VF-F_Vendor-G-D29A-29_13_REFRIGERA
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Are there other manufacturers other than samsung who make a similar sized model?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ge-18-6...?skuId=6162012

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cafe-18...?skuId=6341859

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Haier-16...3BGS/300859002

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAEWOO-2...BBCD/311775433 - Issue here is the single door be sure it works in the space it occupies. -

Little loose - https://www.yaleappliance.com/Refrig...70WDRUX5N.aspx

https://www.yaleappliance.com/Refrig...70WDRUX5N.aspx

May not be all but this is close - Best of Luck,
Old 01-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I ended up buying a Sumsung RF18 before my Norcold failed. I needed one in the new house I was building and Lowes had one on clearnace, bought it for $855. Actually used it for almost a year before installing in the motorhome, yes the Norcold failed.

I had a bunch of info on an install, mine was difficult as I had to lower the furnace to get it to fit. I did not heed some good advice and made a futile attempt to bring it in through the front door, no way would it fit. Finally just removed a side window and brought it in that way, eazzy peezy.

Since mine was mounted ~8" off the floor I was advised to build a wheeled platform to move it in and out. I did that which worked great since I had to put the fridge in & out probably 6 times as I tested and fine tuned the fit and add blocking to keep it from shifting.

It pretty much filled up the space, I had ~1/2" to spare on the top and bottom combined.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0722.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	272602  
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fridge, replace, replacement