Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2022, 10:32 AM   #1

Generator started by itself

Hi all 2006 CC inspire 360 Cat C9. The Onan started @ 3AM by itself the other nite while we were camped in Klamath Falls Oregon. I thought at first it was the HWH leveling, but after a while I got up and was going to turn it off and I discovered the generator was running. I shut it down and it hasn't done it again in the last week. (As far as I know). any ideas from the gurus?
Hmbrewr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2022, 11:02 AM   #2

Automatic Generator Start is enabled.
IAlreadyGot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:05 AM   #3

If I do have an automatic generator start I don't know where it is, or even where to look for it.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:46 AM   #4

If you have the Silverleaf system then it can have AGS enabled. Some inverter/chargers can control AGS also. Even if you have AGS on your coach, it shouldn't have started your generator unless your house batteries reached too low a charge. Did you happen to notice what the voltage of your house batteries was at the time?
Old 10-06-2022, 11:47 AM   #5

It could be set/controlled at the thermostat. Scroll though the zones and settings and look for AGS on/off.

We’re you connected to shore power and was the charger enabled when the generator started?
IAlreadyGot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 12:13 PM   #6

I was plugged in to 50 Amp, inverter was charging batteries at float. 13.2 V. I don't have Silver leaf and I don't see any AGS on the thermostat.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:38 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmbrewr View Post
I was plugged in to 50 Amp, inverter was charging batteries at float. 13.2 V. I don't have Silver leaf and I don't see any AGS on the thermostat.

Xantrex inverter with RC7-GS remote panel? It has an auto generator start function.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:50 PM   #8

Could also be the auto exercise option
Old 10-07-2022, 11:51 AM   #9

Angry

Thanks to all who have replied so far, but no luck yet. I have a Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter with a remote panel. No AGS, and I can't find anything in manuals on the Freedom 458 and the Onan about a remote start or auto exercise. Nothing on the thermostat either. I have owned the coach for about 18mos and it had never started on its own before, and has not restarted itself since it happened last week. It's weird. GRR. I hate things like this.
Old 10-07-2022, 05:43 PM   #10

Onan's have been known to start on their own. I had one in my Winnebago, no AGS system, that self started. I contact Onan and they acted like they have never of something like this happen. If you search these forums you find others that have similar experiences. I also experienced a self start once with my 2000 Magna. Again, no AGS.

The fix seems to be to disconnect the control wires from the generator and clean the connectors with electrical cleaning and lubricant spray. That fixed both of my generators. The connector on both of my Onan generators is on the passenger side of the generator.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:22 PM   #11

This will happen if the inverter inside the generator is going bad. Onan said the generator has a inverter that is the brains of the generator. I had the generator also start on it’s own, and onan replaced the generator inverter and no more problems
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 10:11 AM   #12

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I will try and find the connection and clean & lube as soon as we return home. Also will check all battery connections. At the price of Diesel today I certainly do not want to park the coach and find out the gennie has been running for days. If I can't find anything concrete I hope this is possibly a one time fluke, but I still will be waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Old 10-08-2022, 04:59 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
I owned the same coach years ago. No automatic start of any kind. Kept it inside storage and went to check on unit. It had used almost half the tank of diesel running in storage. It never happened again and I never figured out why it started.
Good luck if you figure it out.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:24 PM   #14

Ours did that a few times when we first got it. I removed, cleaned, and plugged the connectors back in. It did it once more. I installed a control board power switch to cut the 12V to the control board, and turned it off when not in use. Later that year, I turned it back on, and it has never started on its own since.

Poltergeist, I tell ya, poltergeist. Or gremlins. Maybe gremlins.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator