Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2018, 05:23 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Getting shafted

I brought my Magna in for repairs relating to an air leak (air ride leak), front left tire valve replacement, and normal engine lube maintenance.

Waited a month for the appointment and then 5 more weeks for the rig to be ready for pickup. According to the shop, "more expensive rigs were brought in so my coach didn't get looked at for awhile".

The shop charged me $6551.00. Upon receiving my rig I noticed that the front left tire valve had not even been touched. Same valve, same leak.

The shop refused to give me the technicians notes for my files

The shop refused to give me the old parts.

The shop stated that the parts that were replaced (o rings, valve switches, solonoids) were only "refurbished" parts yet the shop provided me with a "parts cost" list.

The shop alleged that there was a radiator leak and that the leak needed replacing yet upon inspection there seem to be no leaks. (Shop said it would be $10,000.00 to repair the core.)

The rig was damaged while at the shop on the front end of the coach. The shop did not inform me of it. (I noticed it when I got the rig home because it was on the driver's side and I entered on the passenger's side.)

How in the world should I handle this? Police? Lawyer?
How in the world can an air leak cost $6000.00++ dollars without replacing the air springs or installing any new parts?
BigALBigRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #2

I’m not sure about AZ or RV repairs but in CA there is a Department of Consumer Affairs for Automotive Repair that will investigate any repair and inssue a ruling that the repair shop must accept. You may check in AZ to see if there is a similar resource.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds familiar! Took my rig in for a sticky main slide and asked them to check all of them. They did clean and lube the chain drive on my slide but didn't check and align any of the others. They did have to replace the clockspring in the SmartWheel, but charged me $450 for a $200 part. They also set the ride height on the rear and that seems to be OK.
Drove home, only stopping at three rest areas, never left the rig at two of them and only for about 2 min at the last one. When I got home I found body damage to the louvers on engine compartment. Naturally they claim it didn't happen there and said I couldn't prove it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry you got ripped off. Fact is you have to do your own research to find reliable shops. I have visited a shop before taking my coach there, asking questions and looking for red flags. I always also check RVServiceReviews.com.

My coach is now at a Cummins shop that is new to me. Service writer and I did a walk around the coach when I arrived, noting any existing damage. Service manager has called me 3 times in past week with updates (including cost estimates) and asking permission to replace a couple of items found during their work. I am pleased so far.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 AM   #5

Did they have to track down the air leak? It can take easily 4 plus hours to track one down.
Sounds like they rebuilt your 6 pack solenoids. The last I heard that usually runs around 1,200.

With the work that you described I do believe you were charged more than double.
Attorney? Depends on the damage.

Like smlranger said know where your taking your coach, plus always get estimates and cost updates when issues are discovered.
One time I had a shop try and charge me way over the estimate. But couldn’t give a reason why. I told them to go take the parts off because I am not paying. They lowered the cost back down to the estimate that I had in hand.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:32 AM   #6

Man, I don’t get an oil change without getting a cost. Called a few places here in Nor Cal. Several of them said that they could not give me an estimate. I asked why. It takes 26 quarts, I have the engine serial number so you can look up the filter cost, you know you labor rate. They still would not give me an estimate. Finally found a shop that quoted me the exact price. Oil was changed yesterday.

If I were you, I would do my best not to let them get away with what seems to me to be a gross over charge for the work performed.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Please post up the name of the shop so others can avoid them.

On a side note I have had exceptional service at Massey's Diesel Repair here in the Phoenix area. Before Monaco bankruptcy they were an authorized warranty repair facility.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:48 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What shop was it? My daughter lives in Mesa and they are starting to look at RVs.

Need to steer her clear of that place.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Sorry you got ripped off. Fact is you have to do your own research to find reliable shops. I have visited a shop before taking my coach there, asking questions and looking for red flags. I always also check RVServiceReviews.com.

My coach is now at a Cummins shop that is new to me. Service writer and I did a walk around the coach when I arrived, noting any existing damage. Service manager has called me 3 times in past week with updates (including cost estimates) and asking permission to replace a couple of items found during their work. I am pleased so far.
May I ask the name of the shop and is it local?
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Please post up the name of the shop so others can avoid them.

On a side note I have had exceptional service at Massey's Diesel Repair here in the Phoenix area. Before Monaco bankruptcy they were an authorized warranty repair facility.
Agree on Massey's Diesel. Have heard good reports from them. Mine is currently at PTO Sales on University and 16th Street (Massey's couldn't fit me in). I have had work done there before and it was done correctly and at the cost quoted.
Currently they are doing ride height valves, front air bags and brakes.

I'll post the results when done.
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:59 AM   #11

Yes please post the name of the shop. You don't have to say anything other then give us the name.

We can draw our own conclusions...
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #12

Me too, since I am a snowbird in Casa Grande
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Did they have to track down the air leak? It can take easily 4 plus hours to track one down.
Sounds like they rebuilt your 6 pack solenoids. The last I heard that usually runs around 1,200.
A new HWH 6-pack can be bought for $700. That's everything - but most likely you did not need the solenoids or brass valves - just o-rings.
I just rebuilt mine (three bad coils) the coils (with the brass valve) are $110 each. Replacing the O-rings would run about $6.

The labor to get to the HWH valve is probably the highest cost. On my coach the rear valve bank is located above the transmission and requires the driveshaft to be disconnected (and still hard to reach). I would say it should not take more than 3 hours for a competent shop to remove the valve and rebuild it (replace o-rings). So worse case 6 hours to remove and reinstall. That's $1,200 in labor (at $200/hr).

I would not ever leave my coach with a shop without having them quote the job before hand, and then having them call me for approval if they find something else that was unknown, and its going to cost me more.

To add: I changed the engine oil and transmission oil when I bought my coach. I did the work myself and it was close to $1000 in oil. The engine takes 40 gts at $40/gal (Delvac synthetic oil) and the transmission is 10 gallons at $50/gal (Transynd). Plus filters (engine, trans, fuel). Then add 2 or 3 hours labor.

So I can see where your bill could be the $3K range. I just cant figure out the what the rest of the bill was for. They should at least give you an itemized bill.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:34 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
May I ask the name of the shop and is it local?
Cummins Atlantic in Richmond, VA.