Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Headlights, Silverstar Ultra?

My Allure, just like my previous DP, has what I think are fairly weak headlights. I am not wanting to do expensive headlight mods but have considered trying the Silverstar Ultra bulb upgrade. Wondering if any of you have done this and, if so, were you satisfied with the results?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I did them on my trucks, and depending on your expectations (which shouldn't be TOO much ) for the walmart price was worth it...
but not a great increase...
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #3

I just recently replaced my bulbs with the with the SilverStar Ultras but have not had the chance to take it out at night to see if there's a difference. I also got rid of the stock headlight assembly and replaced them with aftermarket Euro style ones. Looks and performs much better IMHO.
Michaeljsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They made a good difference for me
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We installed the SilverStars, too. I think the headlights are about 2X as bright as the OEM bulbs. The light is a cooler (whiter) temperature, so that may be some of the illusion. Old bulbs wee more yellow in color. I any event, I like them! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #6

I finally got a chance to try them out at night and they made a huge difference, but so did the fact that I got rid of the stock headlight lens sets that came on the rig and wernt with new aftermarket sets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rig2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	79354  
Old 11-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljsz View Post
I finally got a chance to try them out at night and they made a huge difference, but so did the fact that I got rid of the stock headlight lens sets that came on the rig and wernt with new aftermarket sets.
Those are cool headlights. What year is your Allure? Are those the old F150/Bronco headlights as in my 2004 Allure?

And, while I have not tried the Silverstar Ultra on this vehicle, I did have good success with them in two different model Saab's, a Mini and my MIL's Nissan.

For those needing more power at night, there is/was(?) a company that sells a kit that includes bumping up the wiring and fuse to handle more power feed. Read about this a few years back on Yahoo CC User Group, so some searching on that board may find the company.

We don't drive at night very often, and I found that with the old lense polished/cleaned up, and then the fog/driving lights also on, that I had adequate lighting for local around town late night driving. Suspect adding the Silverstar Ultra's would be an improvement. But, also would like to know more about the replacement light assemblies you used.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the Silverstar Ultra's in both the MH and the toad. From the MH, the looking down at the road angle makes them appear less effective than in the toad where the view is more at street level.
I also have also aimed the MH lights a little higher and to the right which helped a lot.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #9

Here's the link where I found them on EBAY.......took about 2 hours, a small saw and some glue to install.

Anzo 111039 Headlight Amber Corner Pair Black | eBay
Old 11-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #10

Neglected to answer that it's an 04. I also peeled off the Diamond Shield (not fun) and then masked off the front end from about an inch above the new headlights and sprayed the rest with black plasti-dip spray paint. It gave it the appearance of bra and if it chips I can just give it a quick spray and if I ever sold and they didn't like the look, it peels off.

Tags
lights