RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #1

Heater Questions

I have 2003 Intrigue, 36' with ISL 400. It has a 45,000 BTU/Hr. Hurricane heater. The heater and engine jacket water are one in the same system.

Is there a way to operate the heater when parked and NOT have it heat the engine?

I am concerned the heater may not have adequate capacity to heat the coach AND engine when I am parked in cold weather at 10,000 ft elevation while snowmobiling.

Anyone who has the same system with experience staying in their coach in cold weather, (below -10 F) at high elevation, I very much would appreciate you passing along how the heating system preformed.
letsride4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I have the Hurricane and it was pretty hard to keep the coach warm at sea level in 4-14 degree weather especially with the roof and sides covered in ice.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
especially with the roof and sides covered in ice.
That was added insulation--like a snow cave!
Goodspike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #4

Don - Do you think it was lack of capacity of Hurricane heater, or lack of capacity of the heater cores and fans inside the coach that limited the ability to heat?
letsride4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:36 PM   #5

The heater ran almost constantly and the registers put out warm air but it was still a chore. We also used electric heaters to augment the heat plus putting one in the sewer bay to keep the pump from freezing. I took the access cover off the pump bay so warm air could get to it. Of course, no water or sewer hose out, we worked off the tank.
I don't know how much if any the altitude effects the diesel burner, I would expect some loss of efficiency. -10F is pretty stinking cold.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #6

To be fair, once you get to those temps - most coaches will struggle!!

As Don mentioned, augmenting the Hurricane with additional heating sources, will be required. If the slides are not frozen, bringing them in for overnight, usually cooler, weather is one approach. Also when sleeping if you have two zones (Not sure if the 36' of that era does or not?). Closing the bedroom or bathroom door, and setting the front zone down to say 32, would let more heat be diverted to the rear. And one poster a few years back, said they used the Engine Loop all daylong, to build up a huge heat sink under their bed at night... Not sure if that's a good idea or not - but sharing...

Heated Tile Floors really help too. And when we boon docked on our Alaska trip in 6-15F for 9 days (Lake Muncho's Strawberry Flat Provincial Park.) we used a Mr Heater Heat Buddy (The large one, with the built in fan.) and placed that on the kitchen table. I'd get up and open the bedroom door, which by the way we were quite comfortable in with a few extra blankets, and our dog, in a one slide bedroom.) and brave the cold front room to start the Heat Buddy, then dive back under the covers to let the front heat up for about 20 mins on High. This would bring the temps up well, and I'd then brave my way out to start the coffee (Perculator with more heat via the Propane cook top.), and I'd set the Heat Buddy back to low setting, and that would keep us warm for about another hour or so.

Anytime we had the Generator On, we also would run two 1500W heaters, as well as we had Heated Tile Floors in the kitchen/bath areas, and the Electric Element of our HydroHot... We'd build up heat mass optimizing the diesel consumption. And we'd usually do this when cooking dinner (Solar kept our 800AH house bank topped off well.), so it was for cooking with the Convection Oven that we'd do this. Usually we'd run for at least an hour, sometimes a bit more, to get the coach up to temps.

At night, the rear zone was set to 38 (Which in our coach, was really more like 33) , and the 'rear zone' needed to be 'on' for the Wet Bay to trigger Hydro Hot on for heating. We'd be in the high 40's to low 50's with just our body heat in the bedroom, and I'd hear the Diesel fire up from time to time overnight.

We did have water freeze in the pipe run to our front kitchen the first night, but then I read from other CC owners, to leave the lower kitchen cabinets cracked, to let inside coach temperature penetrate into the cabinets outside coach wall, where the pipes plastic pipes where nested up against in our coach (2 Slide High Cascade, with Kitchen being Non Slide.).

On Mr Heater Heat Buddy, or other sources of Propane heat inside of of a coach. Do use proper procedures on venting the roof top, as well as window air flow. And we added two additional Carbon Monoxide Detectors, including one in the bedroom... This is a series safety consideration. We don't use our Heat Buddy very often now, but when we do, we feel we do it safely... so please do due diligence if you add an inside such propane heat source (Non venting to outside.).

And best of luck to you. -10F --- That's Martini weather!
Smitty
Smitty77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #7

A friend was telling me about using a clay flower pot on the stove to heat up the coach.She claims it can really kept the entire coach warm. I didn't pay close attention because I really don't "do" cold weather. I'll ask her how to use the pot.
I forgot to mention to keep the slides closed to reduce the interior area. Stupid me, when it started snowing I didn't bring in the slides and wound up with huge chunks of ice on the toppers and had to wait for it to melt so I could close the slides and get out of Dodge.
If you use any heating source that uses any kind of fuel. make sure you have adequate ventilation or you might not wake up in the morning
Old Yesterday, 02:19 AM   #8

Running a propane stove to heat clay or anything will cause moisture buildup in the RV and ice will form around the Windows and doors as the moisture condenses.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:37 AM   #9

I don't have the engine preheat on my hurricane I have an electric block heater instead OEM but I would imagine there has to be a way to turn off the engine preheat. Someone who has it can tell you how. I've been down to single digits with the Hurricane. Below zero I'm not sure that by itself it would be enough. I've always been plugged in, in those temperatures. I've been down to 15 below using three electric heaters and the floor heat and small electric heaters in the wet bays. I don't think it would make it much lower than 15 below with wind.

Tags
heat, heater

« CC Veranda | - »