Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #1

Question Help - charging issues !!!!!!!

I have a 2007 Tribute 260 37 ft. I'm having 2nd thoughts about keeping it only because it's starting to nickel and dime my ass to death. Luv luv luv the coach especially when it's cleaned up and towing my beautiful Jeep liberty. I think my charging system is having a problem. Whenever I'm plugged into shore power the batteries go dead meaning both the chassis and the coach batteries go dead in about 2 weeks. If I run the generator it seems to bring back the batteries but hooked into shore power they go dead. I haven't followed through tpo load test the batteries only because it's very cold here and I don't think I would get a good outcome. I did replace the transfer switch about 4 years ago only because I was a dumbass and burned it up. Totally on me. My question now that I've rambled is has anyone else had this problem. The coach batteries are only about 3 years old and the chassis is only about 1 year old. Any info will be helpful. Thanks so much.
bigdogrv123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #2

If the genny charges the batteries, but shore power fails to do so, and your transfer switch is working, the issue is probably with the converter. Do lights and other 12v devices work? Check 12v fuses?
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Your rig might not have a Tric-L-Start type of charger to charge your Chassis batteries from "Shore Power."

(Actually the Tric-L-Start takes power from your House batteries and transfers it to the Chassis Batteries while the House batteries are being charged.)

Most rigs do not charge the Chassis Batteries from Shore Power.

If your House Batteries are dead then so could be the Chassis Batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/AM-Solar-CHGR.../dp/B07FD49X14

House Batteries:

While plugged to shore power, take a meter reading at the house battery terminals. If they are being charged, you should see @ 14 dcv at the terminals.

If you see 12.5 dcv or less then your battery charger is not turned on or has failed.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you hate nickel and dimeing, you're:
1. gonna hate RVing, and
2. gonna love iRV2.
I bet 52 bubbas on this site has done exactly what you are asking. I have no clue, but hang in there. And in the mean time, I'm gonna learn too.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #5

It does help to know the manufacturer when you need "Help!!!!"
Is this a Country Coach or SOB?
Old 12-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #6

Check your inverter. Sounds like the charging side of it is not working. They have a fuse on the side that may have popped. If all else fails, go buy a 10 amp or bigger 12 volt battery charger and hook it directly to the coach batteries.
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
If the genny charges the batteries, but shore power fails to do so, and your transfer switch is working, the issue is probably with the converter. Do lights and other 12v devices work? Check 12v fuses?
Thats not how it works. The generator powers the same converter/charger as the shore power does.

Generators typically don't have there own charging system.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Thats not how it works. The generator powers the same converter/charger as the shore power does.

Generators typically don't have there own charging system.
Twinboat is right. The inverter/charger gets its power from shore or generator. Doesn’t make since that it charges on generator and not shore power. You really need to put a volt meter on batteries while on both and check the voltage. Should be over 13 volts if charging.
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:21 PM   #9

Actually most of the Onan QD's come with the optional battery charger. It only puts out about 10 DC amps though.

Rich 2002 Magna
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:07 AM   #10

It sounds like a transfer switch to me. I would make sure the inverter is off and check 110 side. See what works. If you are safe about it, take cover off transfer switch and check you line in wires and line out of transfer switch. Could also be a loose lug if switch was replaced four years ago.

So if gen powers inverter the transfer switch output wiring is good. You must have a problem with the shore power line into the transfer switch and upstream. First un plug coach and test both hot wires on post or cord and verify you have correct power to the coach plug. If that is good, plug in and test poles directly on transfer switch corresponding to shore power line in. Let us know how this goes.

You can buy a tester that works inductively so you physically have to touch the wires with a tester but a tester will be more accurate.

Let us know. Oh yeah, don't sweat the small stuff....
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #11

Perhaps a dumb question, but with the inverter turned off and plugged into shore power do you have power at any of the outlets in the coach?
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #12

Help !!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the confusion guys. I was a little pissed off when I wrote that blog. I do have a Country Coach 260 Tribute 2007 vintage. It is a Magnum inverter. I had to charge the chassis battery for a long time before I could lite the engine off. It's only charging just at 13 volts with the engine running. I have a carbon pile battery tester and even loading the battery at 100 amps. it still only reads about 13.2 volts. I just put that battery in about a year ago. I'm taking it back to Interstate to have them check it. As far as the coach batteries I reset my inverter, did what they call a soft reset, and now it's charging the coach batteries normally like it should. Sorry for all the confusion I got ahead of myself before. Thanks for all the responses.
bigdogrv123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #13

Got ahead of yourself? Well I'm sure you saw me up their ahead of myself at times too! No worries, sometimes this gang is good to just let loose with...

(Just try to so like I do. Very short, crisp, and to the pointe messages. Not long ramblings posts... !) (Search my threads, and you'll see the reason for my smiley face on that line!)

And yep, it's easy to get frustrated with our coaches. For me, it's both the learning curve, and in way too often occurrences - the 'correction' of what I thought I knew, to what reality is... And, things seem to come in phases.

First phase is the 'new purchase' learning one. Way over a year for me, to learn what my systems did, and to determine if all were working properly. And, what I call the 'baseline' fix it of any new coach. Finding items that don't work the way they're suppose to, and getting them to do so. This could be via repair, replacement parts - or any many of my cases, reading the manual and resetting the parameters and programs to what was appropriate for my coach.

Second phase is 'the aged out component' one. Where parts just do go out, and need replacing. This can be at anytime, and our's always seems to come in three's. Where it seems in a short period of time, we'll have three items needing repair.

Third phase is 'the upgrade' one. Where you want to enhance or add or change a system on the rig. Like on an older coach like ours, shifting from MWS to PWS Inverter. Or adding solar. Or increasing house battery bank size. Or, whatever. (This third phase, can be controlled by the owner. And in my case, it's also somewhat controlled by the Second phase items. If I spend too much during the year on that, it eat's up the amount I allocate to yearly enhancements!).

And as you know, these are rolling homes. So they're always going to require some tinkering by the owner, or helping of the economy by paying someone else to do the tinkering for you... It is, the way RV'ing goes... But as you also know, the rewards of waking up with say a Mama Moose and her young calfs walking thru your campground at Gros Ventre. Or sitting in your coach in Denali's National Park Savage Campground and actually seeing the clouds clear from 'The Mountain' (McKinley). Or your favorite beach, river, lake, desert, 5 Star Resort - whatever floats your boat - is the ultimate reason these RV's are with us!

Good luck on the battery situation, and go have some fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #14

You said that the chassis battery was dead also. Is that now being charged along with the house?

CC installed an Echo charger that charges the chassis battery from the house batteries so if yours isn't getting charged, the Echo could have a blown fuse. Here is the Echo manual. http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Acc...204-01-01).pdf

Tags
charging