Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2019, 09:06 AM   #1

Help me understand how the HWH ride height system works

This coach has a three point leveling setup. Looking at it, it looks pretty simple. When the system shifts into travel mode the three ride height valves are pressurized and the actual ride height setting at each is determined by the physical adjustment of its linkage.

What could cause one of the ride height valves to not be pressurized at that point? I would think it is all or none.

We replaced both rear ride height valves with new, black, Haldex units. However the driver's side rear can't seem to be set properly, acts like there isn't enough air there. All lines have been checked for crimps, leaks, etc.

NOTE: The issue here is ride height balancing NOT leveling when parked. The leveling system works perfectly and holds pressure very well.

Very hard to get through to HWH techs at this time of year. Anyone here who really understands this system and can explain where to look next? The shop here doesn't seem to understand this problem and can't get through to HWH tech support.
2002 Country Coach Allure 36 #30752, Double Slide
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
Commercial Member

the only connection hwh has to do with ride height is that air travels thru the travel solenoids to the ride height valve. there are two travel solenoids on each manifold. they are normally closed. when the park brake is released, the green travel light comes on. this indicated that the travel solenoids are energized, and allowing air to go to the ride height valve. on the front, both solenoids have 12 volt to them even though there is only one ride height valve.
in the rear, the travel solenoids when parked with the key off, are closed.
with the park brake set, , the 12 v signal to the travel valves is shut off.
in leveling mode, only the dump and raise solenoids receive signals from the control box.
it is possible for one of the rear solenoids to fail, causing that rear corner to not move.
switch the magnetic coils, and see if they problem moves.
send me your email, and i will send a service manual, if you dont already have one.
pfmaddox@att.net
i work full time for hwh corp. i do not solicit part sales or service work on this forum.
paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #3

When I had a similar problem it was the HWH valve that azpete suggests. Not easy to get to as those valves are above the rear axle. I went to HWH in Moscow, IA, and had my repair done.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
the only connection hwh has to do with ride height is that air travels thru the travel solenoids to the ride height valve. there are two travel solenoids on each manifold. they are normally closed. when the park brake is released, the green travel light comes on. this indicated that the travel solenoids are energized, and allowing air to go to the ride height valve. on the front, both solenoids have 12 volt to them even though there is only one ride height valve.
in the rear, the travel solenoids when parked with the key off, are closed.
with the park brake set, , the 12 v signal to the travel valves is shut off.
in leveling mode, only the dump and raise solenoids receive signals from the control box.
it is possible for one of the rear solenoids to fail, causing that rear corner to not move.
switch the magnetic coils, and see if they problem moves.
send me your email, and i will send a service manual, if you dont already have one.
pfmaddox@att.net
i work full time for hwh corp. i do not solicit part sales or service work on this forum.
paul maddox
Excellent, thanks. I sent you an email describing what the shop reported in greater detail. Basically they found there was some sort of cross air flow between the passenger side ride valve circuit and the driver's side. This sure sounds like some sort of issue with the solenoids. We replaced both ride valves since one was leaking and both were old, that didn't fix the problem but maybe helped a little.

Although the coach is driveable, the travel light is not coming on.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:15 PM   #5

Just an odd thing to check but I have heard of it happening.

The system itself is not really that smart as you say. There is a physical linkage that controls the height, if that is correct I would check the air pressure at the valve by disconnecting it and running it through an up and down cycle see if it is returning to ride height. Then I would level the coach and start spraying soapy water everywhere.
One other place I would look is the dump valves. FRONT AND BACK, keep in mind an error in the front can have the opposite effect on the back corner.

Sometimes the line between the airbag and the dump valve gets a nick in it and slow leaks so one valve can never really catch up
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrylife View Post
Just an odd thing to check but I have heard of it happening.

The system itself is not really that smart as you say. There is a physical linkage that controls the height, if that is correct I would check the air pressure at the valve by disconnecting it and running it through an up and down cycle see if it is returning to ride height. Then I would level the coach and start spraying soapy water everywhere.
One other place I would look is the dump valves. FRONT AND BACK, keep in mind an error in the front can have the opposite effect on the back corner.

Sometimes the line between the airbag and the dump valve gets a nick in it and slow leaks so one valve can never really catch up
However if the coach levels and holds leveling perfectly after parked wouldn't that rule out the dump valves?

It was given a very thorough check for air leaks, two small ones were found and fixed.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:23 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Follow Paul’s guidance. He’s the best.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:35 PM   #8

Are you sure that the valve was installed correctly with the direction arrow in the proper position.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #9

Yes. And we replaced both with new Haldex brand valves.

This thing gets weirder. Picked it up at the shop, it was still leaning a bit to the driver's side. Drove it 5 miles. Arrived, it was riding perfectly, travel light on, steady as a rock. Later drove it to Las Cruces from Albuquerque, rode perfect the whole way.

Shop did find a couple of small air leads and one of the ride valves was leaking a little, the one on the driver's side.

Going back in 5 weeks, will see how it does. Got an email from AZPete which I replied to but haven't heard anything since.

Tags
hwh, ride height