Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2021, 06:41 PM   #1

HELP! stranded on sudden overheat engine

Hey all. We just had an overheat and derate while climbing a grade outside of Bowling Green...

I disconnected both the the danfoss controller harness wires and both and both were pretty cruddy inside and looked like it should be cleaned...

My question is IF the fan controller is disconnected should the fan run constantly?

Our fan turns freely but has. Not turned on at all after cooling down and sitting here at idle 201 degrees

Cat C13

Help appreciated..we are sidelined (but safe) on road right now

Chris H

Edit.....took a looksee at the plugs again...while cleaning and reconnecting the 6 wire Deutsche plug I noticed several wires disconnected/broken (pic attached)..

I am guessing this is our problem?

What say you all....would this FUBAR our fan from working...should I jump the plug and just hardwire to get home?
Attachment 345499
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2021, 07:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a250gpguy View Post
We had a sudden overheat while climbing a hill just outside of Bowling Green and are stranded but safe.
Good to know you are safe. I do not know your mechanical skill level, but have you checked all of the basics? Fluid levels, belts, a dirt-filled radiator, or something blocking the radiator?
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #3

Yep...I'm very handy with tools...though not so much with Deutsch connectors

Nothing blocking radiator or condenser coolers etc..correct OTR coolant filled just right...no puking coolant anywhere I can see. Fan turns easily by hand...

A brief overview....Danfoss fan controller...DC's and inspected both plugs...power and speeds

No fan at all with 2 wire power plug DC'd and 7 wire connected while at idle.

Both plugs cruddy....cleaned

On reinspecting found several wires broken off 7 wire fan speed connector...I assume this is my prob...should this fan default to high speed with the coolant temp and air temp sensor wires broke

Wire diagrams attached below...all the wires for sensors were broke off...the PPL and YEL were intact

Have wire diagrams...need advice...jump? Disassemble?
Ch
Attachment 345505Attachment 345506
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 10-08-2021, 08:34 PM   #4

Here is the associated diagram

ALL of the BLU and WHT wires were broke off (sensors)

The PPL and YEL were intact

ChClick image for larger version

Name:	20211008_210235.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	345503Click image for larger version

Name:	20211008_205913.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	345504
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 10-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Sorry to hear you are sidelined... I understood when you disconnected all wires, the fan should have been running in high. The fact it didn't might indicate you have a stuck solenoid.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #6

On an 05 inspire i had i was having off and on cooling problems and when the fan controller was unplugged the speed defaulted to high. I would get random overheats and was really suspect of the controller. I pulled the thermostats and found one broke .That was on a cat c9. After replacing both thermostats the temp problems were cured and also the fan started working properly. I think if its unplugged, and power removed, the hydraulic directional valve is spring loaded to the open position which is why they run on high when unplugged.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:01 PM   #7

Should the fan run on high 100 percent of the time with the 2 wire plug unplugged? Ie when idling cold

Rewired temp sensors etc..2 wire plug dc'd and fan still not running while idling but cool (below 200deg)

Thanks for the response..keep em coming

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 10-08-2021, 09:27 PM   #8

Ok..thank you...any fix for that?
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 10-08-2021, 10:35 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by a250gpguy View Post
Ok..thank you...any fix for that?

Never heard of a bad solenoid but you could give it a few love taps with a hammer while the coach is running to see if things change
Old 10-08-2021, 11:10 PM   #10

With the seven wire plug unplugged, the fan should run on high regardless of the air and coolant temperature sensors. You have essentially unplugged the sensors. I've never dealt with your situation. I wonder if it's possible for the controller to fail completely causing the fan to be dead. Perhaps someone that has experienced a failed controller can chime in. There is also the hydraulic fan motor, of course. If you've lost your hydraulic fluid that would do it but you would lose your power steering as well, I believe.
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:49 PM   #11

Huge and frustrating update. Rebuilt the 6 (7) wire plug completely according to the diagrams and then we lost all power to the transmission controller and coach would not start....

Allison brain wasnt getting power accross the ignition fuse...

So I spent a good few hours testing and replacing suspect fuses in the front run box. I replaced the 7.5 amp coolant temp sensor fuse and bingo..starts right up and we have transmission panel power back and accross Alli IGN fuse...

So next step is to unplug controller power to see if we have fan..but am doubtful since fan wasnt working with 2 prong plug DC'd and sensor wires broke on 6 pin connector
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 10-08-2021, 11:55 PM   #12

Thanks Don...

Found some issues along the way..long story short after fixing wiring, coach wouldnt start and Alli panel had no power. Ttacked down to a broke coolant temp sensor fuse.

Now onto see if fan starts on high when dc'd

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 10-09-2021, 01:04 AM   #13

So unplugged all of that stuff (2 wire, fan controller fuse, and 6 wire connector)

No joy, no fan movement when idling with OTR AC on and 190 deg temps on Silverleaf and Dash....

Any thoughts?

Bad hydraulic solenoid? Anyone ever fixed that while on the road?

Any recommended CAT/Freightliner/Motorcoach shops near Boing Green that could handle this solenoid problem?

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 10-09-2021, 01:41 AM   #14

No joy...Dc'd the fan controller fuse, 2 wire power and 6 wire speed/sensor harness.

With coach idling, OTR AC on and confirmed gauge and Silverleaf temps at 190 deg

No fan movement of any kind.

Anyone fix a hydraulic fan solenoid while away from home?

Is there a bypass procedure?

Does anyone know of any reputable Motorcoach/Freightliner/CAT shops in the Bowling Green KY area?

Any help appreciated

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503

Tags
engine, heat