Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2021, 10:39 PM   #57

Dont be daunted by the diesel thing.

I too have done my own mechanic-ing for many years and am quite grateful my family handed down that knowledge.

In thier simplest terms DPs are just OTR trucks built backwards. I know there are some things I just cant do without the right facilities (engine rebuild etc) but oil changes and general maintenance are not so different. In the end its just turning bolts like a gas rig....though the capacities are somewhat greater.

The biggest challenge for me is learning how all the electrics go together...

No new updates here as we are just sitting and waiting for parts and making the best of it..Doing little fixes here and there..Sub amp next on my list..

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 11:19 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJames65 View Post
All these problems with diesel motor coaches, Sure glad we have a gas powered class A coach.
Not really any problems and certainly less then gas engines. I have a fleet of trucks both gas and diesel and our own service shop. The diesel rigs are just maintenance and running top end adjustments every 250000 miles. They start using a little oil about 900,000. Sure there is the rare compressor failure but the gas rigs are in for work about every 20,000 miles.Mostly fuel and emissions. Injectors. cat converters. cam position sensors,mass air sensors, and on and on. Cars are one thing but trucks are a different animal and asking to much out of the engine. The pump being discussed in this thread was an over-site by the manufacture and if it had been installed per the use intended it would have ran forever. Its like when have you ever heard someone needing to replace a power steering pump?
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:36 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
The pump being discussed in this thread was an over-site by the manufacturer and if it had been installed per the use intended it would have ran forever. Its like when have you ever heard someone needing to replace a power steering pump?
I would say installed AND serviced per the use intended..

As I said way up the thread we were told this was a wet spline PTO. I strongly feel that if we had known this was a dry PTO setup and serviced it before embarking on our trip we would not be stuck where we are...I could be wrong...but such is life.

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 10-22-2021, 07:30 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by a250gpguy View Post

As I said way up the thread we were told this was a wet spline PTO. I strongly feel that if we had known this was a dry PTO setup and serviced it before embarking on our trip we would not be stuck where we are...I could be wrong...but such is life.

Ch
You are correct in that had the pump been seperated and serviced with spline lube it may have been fine.
Most dry spline applications are for dump truck type system where it is only engaged for the intended use then dis-engaged. The maintenance would be based on cycle times like 2 minutes per hour or 20 minutes a day.
wet spline are are for full time use.
I am currently putting a hydraulic pump in my boat and it will run full time. The spline is lubricated by the engine oil since this pump bolts directly to the block.
I am surprised country coach missed this but then again other coach manufactures made the same error.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:35 AM   #61

Quote:

Ch
This has been a SUPER helpful thread! I am very sorry for all of your downtime and work you have had to do but grateful that you were willing to share the level of detail of the issue and all the knowledgeable folks willing to share their insights so we can all learn about this topic... I am new to the forum as my wife and I are evaluating moving from our 42' fifth wheel and Duramax Dually set up to a Class A (and I really like the build quality of the CCoach Magnas) so we can tow our Jeep Gladiator behind to have a smaller vehicle at our destinations (parking a dually in some downtown areas or exploring backroads is not ideal). Thanks again to Chris and all the folks that contributed to this thread... very helpful! Safe travels...
TwoBirdDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:23 PM   #62

The downtime not nearly as bad as I make it out to be. Lolz..we are after all living in a mobile luxury apartment essentially.

HUGE AND GIANT thanks to the BG KOA.....accommodating us on short notice for basically as long as we need. Super Duper nice folks.

ChClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211018_203701_611.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	346956Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211018_203701_639.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	346957Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211018_203701_651.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	346958Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211018_203701_644.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	346960Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211018_203701_717.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	346959Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211018_203701_723.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	346961
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 10-24-2021, 10:00 AM   #63

Quote:
The downtime not nearly as bad as I make it out to be. Lolz..we are after all living in a mobile luxury apartment essentially.

HUGE AND GIANT thanks to the BG KOA.....accommodating us on short notice for basically as long as we need. Super Duper nice folks.

ChAttachment 346956Attachment 346957Attachment 346958Attachment 346960Attachment 346959Attachment 346961
You have the perfect mindset for owning an RV. Things are only as bad as you let them be. Being mad won't get it fixed one minute faster, may as well make the best of the situation.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:14 PM   #64

Thanks dood! All we can do really..and besides...A Magna really was the peak of timeless luxury...

Had a good ole boy stop on his scooter the other day..Said he was very impressed..Asked how we liked as he had almost bought one..but had a older Newmar instead..super nice guy..

Fixed the subwoofer amp today with the Dayton 150watt replacement. Rewired the sub down to 4ohm for good measure so we could take advantage of bridged mono mode. So far still messing around with speaker levels but that little Jamo 10in woofer dont sound to bad..I mean it's no JL Audio..but hey

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 10-26-2021, 06:47 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Fixed the subwoofer amp today with the Dayton 150watt replacement. Rewired the sub down to 4ohm for good measure so we could take advantage of bridged mono mode. So far still messing around with speaker levels but that little Jamo 10in woofer dont sound to bad..I mean it's no JL Audio..but hey

Ch
Hey Chris, now you are talking about something I understand. I have a basement (um, that's the S&B basement) full of drums & PA equipment. I need to get rid of some of it because I rarely use most of it anymore.
permitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddpearl View Post
I was thinking the same thing!
LOL! Two unwarranted Otto Park (J71 Autopark) engagements, bad MAF, broken throttle cable, collapsed brake line...our last gasser tried hard to strand us at least four times. I won't count the things that happened, thank goodness, in the driveway. Fortunately, I carry tools. Not really the Winnie's fault...these things are machines. They hate to sit.

Our DP might someday try to strand us, but it hasn't tried yet. I'm sure, being an RV, that it might try to do so some day, though (smile). We do use it a lot more, though, now that we're retired.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by permitwriter View Post
Hey Chris, now you are talking about something I understand. I have a basement (um, that's the S&B basement) full of drums & PA equipment. I need to get rid of some of it because I rarely use most of it anymore.
Nice....

I've been into sound since i was a kid...Everyone asks me what's my favorite band...man...I just dont have one..I am a fan of GREAT PRODUCTION regardless of genre or artist..

I spent many years trying to get amazing sound outta my cars and houses..Currently our home has (2) 12 inch powered subwoofers in it and we can link all rooms together for music....sublime....

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 11-08-2021, 10:35 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
How can your power steering be a separate system? Doesn't it work off of the same pump as the fan?
The CAT engines in addition to the PTO driven fan, have a small engine side pump that drives the power steering...so if the fan pump gets taken out on our system, as long as the engine is running the power steering is working....

I did learn however, the CAT engines also have a excessive heat auto shut down which kills the power steering..still steerable but have to manhandle the wheel pretty good which is no problem once the adrenaline kicks in when the motor arbitrarily stops.

On a mixed note....parts have started arriving...bare minimum have enough now to rebuild what's there provided hyd pump ok (which I doubt)..No word on hyd pump or wet PTO kit..hopefully hear more from Fedex/UPS tuesday AM..

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 11-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #69

Update on update...

Some parts have arrived.

Wet PTO kit arriving this week..

Hydraulic pump delayed to 11/16 plus shipping days...huge bummer..luckily we have some nice neighbors.

If anyone travels through the Bowling Green KOA between now and Turkey Day feel free to swing by and say Hi!

We have local small batch Bourbon to share....

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 11-09-2021, 11:38 PM   #70

Quote:
The CAT engines in addition to the PTO driven fan, have a small engine side pump that drives the power steering...so if the fan pump gets taken out on our system, as long as the engine is running the power steering is working....

I did learn however, the CAT engines also have a excessive heat auto shut down which kills the power steering..still steerable but have to manhandle the wheel pretty good which is no problem once the adrenaline kicks in when the motor arbitrarily stops.

On a mixed note....parts have started arriving...bare minimum have enough now to rebuild what's there provided hyd pump ok (which I doubt)..No word on hyd pump or wet PTO kit..hopefully hear more from Fedex/UPS tuesday AM..

Ch
It's been many years since I looked into it but I concluded at the time that my C12 came with a wet PTO or at least has no PTO issues to deal with. That's interesting about the small pump for the power steering.

Tags
engine, heat